Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially launches Charge On Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally busted. It completely ruined Time-Based Control. Powerwall went to 100% and has stayed there long after peak rates started.

Screenshot_20230809_163023_Tesla.jpg

Took like 8 hours after I got the update on my car before the charge with solar option to show up. I think the reason why it only works on newer models is it seems to be pair the car directly to the PW or something through bluetooth. I noticed it created a new key pair as part of the process, but I am not sure.

Called energy support. Tesla is aware of` the issue causing the behavior to act like self consumption even though it's on time based. No ETA on fixed. Strongly recommend not enabling charge on solar if you aren't already on self consumption mode.

They've opened up a ticket to reset my settings and remove charge on solar.

Called energy support. Tesla is aware of` the issue causing the behavior to act like self consumption even though it's on time based. No ETA on fixed. Strongly recommend not enabling charge on solar if you aren't already on self consumption mode.

They've opened up a ticket to reset my settings and remove charge on solar.
Apparently energy support didn't realize you can turn off charge on solar from the car itself. I disabled it for this location and the powerwalls immediately started discharging at the home demand rate.

I'm not seeing that. At 4pm, TBC began PW discharge as it normally does.

View attachment 963637
Yep, I also can confirm my system was working perfectly fine for TBC with CoS too. So @sorka i guess it’s not consistent across the board. My big issue is it discharges too fast, and doesn’t save anything in the PW above reserve for the mid-peak, or even in some cases peak(!?), but that’s a different issue not related to CoS i believe.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Looks like a key was added to both my Y and to the gateway, guessing that is used for authentication so they can talk to each other to get real time info. The FAQ page says they are working to support older models, but makes sense models without bluetooth key support won't work with their current implementation.

The car was finally updated last night, so I guess I'll have to wait a couple of days for the communications to work its way through the system before seeing Charge on Solar. I did notice that my SPAN panel lost communications with my Tesla system. I hope this is not related to the new software.

So, it's August in Texas with no clouds, over-105, and an unstable Texas grid. That means that Oncor is paying me ridiculous money for my excess solar. This last week, starting at 2:00 everyday, I've been getting anywhere from $0.50 to $3.00/kWh. At these rates, I can't afford to waste the excess charging the car. I just charge after midnight when the rate is only $0.11/kWh. Tesla Electric give me 90% of the price they get for my excess.

Maybe I can test the charge on solar this fall.

So, it's August in Texas with no clouds, over-105, and an unstable Texas grid. That means that Oncor is paying me ridiculous money for my excess solar. This last week, starting at 2:00 everyday, I've been getting anywhere from $0.50 to $3.00/kWh. At these rates, I can't afford to waste the excess charging the car. I just charge after midnight when the rate is only $0.11/kWh. Tesla Electric give me 90% of the price they get for my excess.

Maybe I can test the charge on solar this fall.
That’s pretty generous. It’s like VPP rates in CA, but every day. Lucky you.

The one change I was not expecting was the car has a new recommended charge limit. Before, it said charge daily to 90%, but with this update, it now says only charge to 80%. That is what I usually charge to, but I will occasionally go to 90% if I'm generating excess solar and need a place to put it.
Yes, that was a change in the latest FW’s…not due to CoS, but I guess generally their data is showing for certain cars to reduce SoC on a regular basis. I assume they are modeling how the fleet will age when it comes to warranty payments.

The one change I was not expecting was the car has a new recommended charge limit. Before, it said charge daily to 90%, but with this update, it now says only charge to 80%. That is what I usually charge to, but I will occasionally go to 90% if I'm generating excess solar and need a place to put it.

Not ideal for battery longevity to charge to 90% unless you're going to use it immediately upon reaching that SOC.