Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially launches Charge On Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I understood CoS until today when I really need to charge my car at 10:00 am. I've turned off CoS, but no matter what I do, I can't get my system to charge the car above 5 amps. I know the Powerwalls are not fully charged, but I don't care. I just want the d%$# car charged at 48A. Any help would be appreciated. It is going to be irritating to have to go to the local Supercharger just to be able to go to a restaurant.

I had similar challenges in usability. But once I was able to go into the “…” menu for CoS, and just toggle it off, i was then able to set the slider (only one target now) to my desired SoC, click start charging, and it went full rate. And I could adjust current as needed, as it was for before CoS.

The two things I’ve been experiencing thought recently are

1) that the “…” menu for CoS constantly disappears. It’s just gone. If I sign out of Tesla app and then re-login then it usually re appears. Often I have to re initiate CoS including reissue those keys to the Powerwall.

2) I am frequently getting a CoS error and then it just charges the car to the second slider. This really sucks, because it tops up the cars so I can’t use them for CoS headroom the next day.

Anyways, still think the feature is nice. But has been a bit glitchy. Wish there was more customization too.

I had similar challenges in usability. But once I was able to go into the “…” menu for CoS, and just toggle it off, i was then able to set the slider (only one target now) to my desired SoC, click start charging, and it went full rate. And I could adjust current as needed, as it was for before CoS.

The two things I’ve been experiencing thought recently are

1) that the “…” menu for CoS constantly disappears. It’s just gone. If I sign out of Tesla app and then re-login then it usually re appears. Often I have to re initiate CoS including reissue those keys to the Powerwall.

2) I am frequently getting a CoS error and then it just charges the car to the second slider. This really sucks, because it tops up the cars so I can’t use them for CoS headroom the next day.

Anyways, still think the feature is nice. But has been a bit glitchy. Wish there was more customization too.
I was able to easily turn off CoS in the car and then set the single slider to 60%, but the amps kept resetting to 5 amps no matter what I did. I changed it 5 times and everytime it switched from 48 amps to 5. I finally plugged the car into my 220 outlet to charge it and I got a notice from Charge HQ that it did not start my charge. That seemed weird since I’m not using Charge HQ and I’m not paying for it. I just deleted it and I’ll try it again tomorrow to see if that software was causing issues.

Sounds like you might have a conflict between CoS and Charge HQ. You need to disable Charge HQ control from the app or website. Just deleting the app won't do anything since it's all handled on their servers. Charge HQ can definitely limit the charging current to 5A depending on how you have it setup.

Reactions: yblaser and YRide
Sounds like you might have a conflict between CoS and Charge HQ. You need to disable Charge HQ control from the app or website. Just deleting the app won't do anything since it's all handled on their servers. Charge HQ can definitely limit the charging current to 5A depending on how you have it setup.
Yep, that seems likely culprit. I also had ChargeHQ (still do) when I didn’t have all my EV’s on the CoS FW. I noticed multiple weird / conflicting behaviors, including the low amps one. As @jgleigh mentions, you’ll want to actually turn off ChargeHQ, not just delete the app. Prob fixes your issue.

Has anyone been able to get this working? We have the option, but the car charges at 100% capacity (48 amp; 11.52 kW) and pulls from the grid when on during the day since our solar caps out about 8 kW.

My impression was that the Powerwall would meter the amount of energy delivered to the car based on the amount of excess solar being produced, namely our grid pull should be 0 kW and the amount delivered to the car should be about 8 kW (and fluctuate depending how much the panels are producing).

Has anyone been able to get this working? We have the option, but the car charges at 100% capacity (48 amp; 11.52 kW) and pulls from the grid when on during the day since our solar caps out about 8 kW.

My impression was that the Powerwall would meter the amount of energy delivered to the car based on the amount of excess solar being produced, namely our grid pull should be 0 kW and the amount delivered to the car should be about 8 kW (and fluctuate depending how much the panels are producing).
Working for me. There are a few issues, like it sometimes splits the available solar so that some goes to the car and some goes to the Powerwall. I would prefer that all go to the Powerwall until it is at 100% and then fill the car. I varies my amps to just what is available from solar.

Reactions: Enginerd
Working for me. There are a few issues, like it sometimes splits the available solar so that some goes to the car and some goes to the Powerwall. I would prefer that all go to the Powerwall until it is at 100% and then fill the car. I varies my amps to just what is available from solar.
I am just doing manually. Waited today for PW;s to be charged to 100%, plugged in the EV and off we go charging while I am producing 15kw still

There is a charge taper for optimal battery health, so as one battery fills to more than 80% (ish), it makes good sense to divert more towards the other battery that is not yet (as) full. I would also bear in mind the relative capacities of a Powerwall and an EV, which means that their "trickle/taper" charge rates will be very different.

Reactions: phsoccer