Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla On Autopilot Slams Into Stalled Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a shame. I agree ultimately as more cars with assistive driving get on the road, we are going to have more accidents involving cars with assistive driving. The problem is that this accident would have happened whether there was assistive driving or not, and the author begins with the false premise that the computers on a tesla should have a faster reaction time than a human.

He also fails to mention that despite whatever shortcomings autopilot has, it’s still safer that driving without autopilot. That’s not a opinion, a “should have” like he presents multiple times in the article, it’s a fact, backed by millions of miles of data.

He should have begun his article with a comparison of miles driven between accidents on auto pilot and without it. Then went on with the rest of the article (because it is reasonable to point out specific issues with a system so they can be fixed)... but these kinds of articles just create the kind of sensationalism that allows “witches” to be drowned to see if they are a wiitch and legislatures to enact laws on false narratives.

Do not like.

Lance Eliot (the author of that Forbes article) has an agenda. Ever since the Autonomy Investor Day where Musk doubled down on poopooing LIDAR, this guy's become extra vocal against Tesla. I wonder why. Perhaps he has a vested interest in seeing LIDAR succeed? He likes to flaunt his credentials to give himself more authority. I didn't dig too far, but he's definitely involved with self-driving tech.

Musk is poopooing lidar because it’s espensive, not because it doesn’t work... He has promised fsd to a lot of people with cars already on the load and free retrofits to lidar probably not an option....

until he proves he doesn’t need lidar for FSD (including in situations like these) I think point out the lack of lidar is legitimate.

None of this has anything to do with Lidar.

I'm a great driver and I don't have lidar built in. You don't need lidar.

Musks current version or AP works.

Did the car hit anyone or drive off the road....no.

LIDAR would have prevented the accident, or at least allowed the car to know there was a stationary object in the way and tried to take evasive measures. You won't find reports of accidents like this with Wamo's fleet. But you also won't see LIDAR being used in a Tesla if it bumps up the price tag by $20,000 either.

That said, this accident is not the fault of autopilot. AP is just a driver assist. The driver needed to be watching and take over control soon as the stationary vehicle was seen. AP would allow the driver to look around and be more mindful of the vehicles around him than if he had to focus strictly on steering. If you're taking a nap, watching a movie, etc, then there is no one to blame but yourself if this happens.

The article doesn't even mention that the Norwegian crash it hangs everything on appears to be an AP1 car, three generations behind Tesla's current best with a tiny fraction of the data and processing power.

But apparently only LIDAR can solve the problem. It also implies the same running would happen with a slowly moving car, which simply isn't true.

It’s a terrible situation to be in, autopilot or not. The driver is responsible for not paying attention, especially when in heavy traffic with cars cutting them off.

The point we can argue is if people are lulled into a false sense of security with autopilot and disregard their duty as a driver.

I’m only going to speak for myself here, but I have found that the longer I let the car drive on Autopilot the harder it is for me to keep myself focused on supervising it and being ready to intervene if something goes wrong. I consider myself to be a good driver. I’ve been driving over 35 years and have never hit anyone. So I’m more comfortable driving the car myself than letting Autopilot drive for me.

But there are many bad drivers on the road. So overall I would agree with the general sentiment in this forum that AP is safer than the “average” human driver. And if you are a “below average” driver, by all means keep AP on all the time.