Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and when it does I expect it will have very little impact on Tesla owners.
Love your optimism, I’m a pessimist by nature. If any UK government is involved (no matter the party) they’ll make a right pig’s 👂🏻 of it imo. I also have absolutely no faith at all in the great British public dropping the “I’m alright Jack“ attitude either🤷🏼‍♂️
I hope you prove me wrong though😁

Reactions: roadcred and Wol747
Yesterday I drove from Lancashire to Glasgow and returned this afternoon. At 8.15am yesterday I stopped off at the Gretna SuC to find all bays occupied and three cars waiting. On a hunch I had had a look at the Ionity 350KW chargers. Three were in use but I nabbed the fourth one. I managed a peak rate of 236KW, which is faster than I’ve ever had from a Tesla V3.

On the way home this afternoon I stopped off at Tebay. All SuC bays were occupied and four cars were waiting. I queued for 15 mins before I could charge.

It surprised me that as a Tesla driver I topped up more quickly using a third party charge point, at least on the outward journey. On the way back it’s the second time that I’ve had to queue at Tebay. Unless Tesla significantly expand the SuC network then queuing is going to become a fact of life, irrespective of whether they open the network to other makes.
Gretna is a pile of poo. Awful location with no logical queue. Only a handful of stalls. Always busy through the day. This is what’s wrong with the UK supercharger network. There aren’t rows and rows of stalls. To open these up to others is madness. Imagine Gretna. Someone would literally get murdered in queue madness.

Reactions: roadcred
Love your optimism, I’m a pessimist by nature. If any UK government is involved (no matter the party) they’ll make a right pig’s 👂🏻 of it imo. I also have absolutely no faith at all in the great British public dropping the “I’m alright Jack“ attitude either🤷🏼‍♂️
I hope you prove me wrong though😁
I don't see what the government has to do with it apart from a junior Minister who is obviously woefully ignorant about most things to do with EVs saying they've been "working with Tesla". Now we all know that opening up the SuC network is a Tesla iniative, not a Government one. I doubt the UK Government has had any influence on Tesla here, but politicians would love to take some credit for it if and when it happens.

Reactions: roadcred and Cardo
It’ll certainly be interesting to see what’s available in 3yrs when my lease is finished. I’ve grown to like most of the Tesla (still not all though), which is opposite to most other cars I’ve bought where the love affair dwindles over time. It’s just made it into my top 5 now lol.
I always look at the alternatives to a Tesla, but the Tesla charging network has always kept me well away from other EVs. I don't even use Super Chargers very often, but when I do I really appreciate their convenience. In the summer I often do longer trips where I really don't want any hassle with charging and Tesla has that experience pretty well nailed.

If Tesla do completely open up their network it makes alternative EVs far more viable IF the charging experience remains as seamless as it is in the Tesla eco-system. That's the unknown at the moment and I would want to see evidence of it working faultlessly before making any commitment. So in the meantime I'm in my 5th year of Tesla ownership and ordered our 4th Tesla. That's actually a PR for me when it comes to brand loyalty!

I don't see what the government has to do with it apart from a junior Minister who is obviously woefully ignorant about most things to do with EVs saying they've been "working with Tesla". Now we all know that opening up the SuC network is a Tesla iniative, not a Government one. I doubt the UK Government has had any influence on Tesla here, but politicians would love to take some credit for it if and when it happens.

"Now Trudy Harrison, UK Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport, says that Tesla is going to open its Supercharger network in the UK soon. She said in an interview with Electrifying.com. The government official didn’t say how she know about the timing, but it’s possible that Tesla has contacted the government about the expansion of the program."
Speaking to Founder and CEO of Electrifying.com Ginny Buckley earlier this week, Transport Minister Trudy Harrison confirmed the move, stating: “Tesla recognise that they are part of the solution here” and that the move could come “within weeks and months rather than years”.

1648926123274.png

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the aesthetic impact of allowing other brands into SuCs. Who doesn't love the elegant unified effect of a row of streamlined, near-identical cars lined up to feed, in a limited range of colours, all parked the same way?

Just think of the chaos as cars of all shapes sizes and colours crowd them out, pointing in all directions...

;) I'm only half-joking..!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the aesthetic impact of allowing other brands into SuCs. Who doesn't love the elegant unified effect of a row of streamlined, near-identical cars lined up to feed, in a limited range of colours, all parked the same way?

Just think of the chaos as cars of all shapes sizes and colours crowd them out, pointing in all directions...

;) I'm only half-joking..!

Is your OCD playing up today? ... but I see what you mean 😁

Is your OCD playing up today? ... but I see what you mean 😁

It disturbs me when I see a flock of Teslas and someone has to ruin it by buying non-white (though, I'd choose red or something funky from new Berlin paintshop).

Incidentally, I just did a quick errand drive. Out of first 4 cars that passed me in the opposite direction, 2 were Model 3s

Reactions: Cogarch
It disturbs me when I see a flock of Teslas and someone has to ruin it by buying non-white (though, I'd choose red or something funky from new Berlin paintshop).

Incidentally, I just did a quick errand drive. Out of first 4 cars that passed me in the opposite direction, 2 were Model 3s
I went Gunmetal Grey (Moonlight Silver in Tesla speak🤷🏼‍♂️), mainly because I used to have a job with company car, it had to be white though. Put me off white cars which sucks because white is the only non cost option for most manufacturers 🤣

For me personally this will be a massive shame. Its the main reason I went with the M3 in the end. If I end up getting blocked/waiting for other EV's to finish on Super Chargers, I'll probably think twice about buying another one. Tesla lose out in the end.
If we switch from Tesla wouldn’t we end up charging our non Teslas at the same stalls, and end up waiting along with the Teslas..?