Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NZ Superchargers opening up to other EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kiwi EV owners that don't own Teslas can now use Tesla Superchargers

First six sites to be open:
  • Glenfield
  • New Plymouth
  • Rotorua
  • Christchurch
  • Timaru
  • Queenstown
Owners of other EVs can download and install the Tesla app, and create an account.

Tesla owners who also own a non-Tesla EV can access this feature in the app by clicking their profile picture at the top right, then scroll across to the right and select "Charge Your Non-Tesla".

The cost for non-Teslas is higher (about 15c/kWh, varies a bit), but for $9.99/month this can be reduced to the same per kWh rate as Teslas.

From supercharge.info :

1695859255894.png

Last edited:
Oh, this will cause chaos in the always-popular Taupo supercharger, once that site is opened up to all others…

I still resent this change actually. Too bad if you bought a EV6 or an i4 - go fast charge some place else at 50kW. Tesla paid for its charging network from Tesla car buyers!

Kiwi EV owners that don't own Teslas can now use Tesla Superchargers

First six sites to be open:
  • Glenfield
  • New Plymouth
  • Rotorua
  • Christchurch
  • Timaru
  • Queenstown
Owners of other EVs can download and install the Tesla app, and create an account.

Tesla owners who also own a non-Tesla EV can access this feature in the app by clicking their profile picture at the top right, then scroll across to the right and select "Charge Your Non-Tesla".
I guess Glenfield is already functional.

Oh, this will cause chaos in the always-popular Taupo supercharger, once that site is opened up to all others…

I still resent this change actually. Too bad if you bought a EV6 or an i4 - go fast charge some place else at 50kW. Tesla paid for its charging network from Tesla car buyers!
Sharing is caring... if we bought cars by considering environment... or purchased Tesla shares.

I know frustration... however, not qualified to preach or comment as I charge mostly overnight at home. when out and about, I am never fixated to Tesla chargers, don't care, as Charge net is better pricing in many places.

Don't worry, they've done this in multiple regions now and they know what they're doing. They only open up under-utilised sites first. They set the price reasonably high so that people won't just use them for the sake of it. And sometimes they'll be able to access grants or government funding to build sites which they wouldn't ordinarily have been able to access had they not been open to all EVs.

Reactions: m3lol