Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think overall if Tesla end up getting more sites approved quicker and more gov funding to roll out quicker, it will be better overall for all.

One thing of concern is with all the smaller EV's models coming into the Australian market now, eg ones with only 70kW DC or 80kW DC max charging rates, I hope the education goes to those cars to using the slower fast chargers first when options exist (Tesla V1, 100kW, V2 120-145kW) leaving the higher power ones (V3 250kW) for higher power cars capable of faster charging ? (Tesla Model 3 170kW DC, Model 3 LR 250kW DC capable) etc.

If the charger speeds are labeled clearly now for all this could help choice. (for those not familiar with what each type of Tesla charger can do)

All Tesla smaller urban 72kW DC / destination 20kW DC chargers, so same for all cars no difference, who is using which.

How many people are aware of the using every 2nd charger spot / seperate chargers do you see ?

Last edited:
As say at a 6 charger stall that's only half full - with Tesla's doing the correct thing and occupying 1A, 2A and 3A, a car with outlets in the wrong corners (front left or back right) won't be able to charge even though the site is only half full.

I thought that with V3 Superchargers there is no more power sharing between stalls, making the A/B thing go away?

As to the risks of EV charging contention with Tesla opening up Superchargers to other EVs, more funding means more stalls, and one of the major benefits of bigger stations is they become massively more efficient compared to smaller stalls relative to the number of cars per stall. Throughput per site increases and waiting time decreases even if the number of stalls and the number of cars scale at the same rate. Queuing theory and Erlang tables, if you want to get into why.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Yeah these are the most important points I think. At 79c/kWh it's not going to be the first choice for those drivers, and really compared to the number of Teslas there's not that many of them on the roads anyway.
I had read there could be a monthly subscription service to reduce that cost. Superchargers open to everyone could increase those sales of other EVs to the detriment of Tesla's own car sales.
The only things that concern me with this are cars that take up multiple spots because their charging port is in a problematic location, and cars that can only charge very slowly.
Yes extending cables on bays will become necessary to fix this I think. Then that may require cable management equipment and added cooling for extended cables.

Yeah, reduced efficiency in general leading to more congestion concerns me too. No longer having a fully integrated ecosystem also leads to degraded efficiency measures like automatic battery pre-conditioning, and routing to less congested superchargers (unless we see some API integration across manufacturers, but that's not going to happen in the short to medium term).
Concerns me too. Have already seen how the charge limit is automatically dropped to 80% for a congested site from your default setting. I only wanted to charge to approx 75% anyway to give me a little extra charge for when I got back home to do some errands. But Tesla will need other ways to control this with other brands EVs I think.

I thought that with V3 Superchargers there is no more power sharing between stalls, making the A/B thing go away?
There's no longer the A/B thing, but total power is shared across the whole site (a V3 site can't generally run every single stall flat out at 250kW simultaneously). I don't think it's something you'd commonly notice though, because it's very unlikely to have all stalls occupied by the right cars at the right temperature and SOC to max out anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
I think it’s a great idea.

These are all assets for Tesla and an asset is only as valuable as the amount of revenue it brings in.

I’ve been to berry, heatherbrae, erina, Canberra and Coffs Harbour many times and been the only one charging or been 1 of only 2 charging. Those chargers sit there all day and night most of the time.

Tesla would know the usage/occupancy rate of every stall at every location, and they also have sales data and projected growth for total number of EVs. I would be guessing they can pretty easily work out which locations could maintain capacity during the 85th percentile of times of day and make those available.

Government funding eligibility and revenue opportunity makes sense for any business

As an owner I’m excited that it will facilitate faster expansion.

As a shareholder I look forward to the added revenue stream
Ok I have only been to Heatherbrae 5 times from memory (2 trips to Sydney and 1 to Cessnock) and have seen it full on just a Sunday afternoon and not holidays times, long weekends etc. Yes I have been the only one there at Heatherbrae at 4.30am in the morning but also the only one there at Macquarie Park at 6.30am.

Time of day or day of travelling really makes a difference obviously I think.

Now with the increased sales of Tesla's vehicles why did Tesla need government subsidies to expand their network? Their network was quite extensive anyway I think. Couldn't they just keep expanding their network without those subsidies? Hell others here just in this thread alone have stated it's mainly just Teslas being sold into Australia in the EV space.

Some Australians may consider it unfair that Tesla are subsidised with their money with Tesla's apparent success rate.

I am just trying to look at this from another perspective that probably will be considered wrong by our own opinions, ambitions, greed etc etc.

Reactions: moa999
Some Australians may consider it unfair that Tesla are subsidised with their money with Tesla's apparent success rate.

I'd flip that around. If Tesla submits a funding proposal that meets the government program's goals and criteria, what would be the basis for rejecting it? If it's just that they have a large network, does the same apply to eg Evie when their number of chargers passes Tesla?

They will take any free money on offer to expand.
Yes that's obvious I think by taking that grant money. Some may consider that to be also to be greed, morally wrong, etc to be taking public money to expand. I think there maybe some in that public that may not want Tesla to succeed as say Tesla owners or Tesla stock holders would.

Geez not sure I should even comment on this whole subject as my own biases as a Tesla owner may be showing but I am trying to be subjective.
Ok should have known that was going to be something that says Elon Musk wrote. May stay right out of this as I may offend others here with my opinion about that "secret plan".

When they started the third party Supercharger access trial in the Netherlands, third party EVs could only access the Superchargers if the site had a certain number of free Superchargers. So basically prioritising Teslas in busy times (which is fair enough for 100% Tesla paid-for sites). I thought this was an excellent idea but it seems to have been dropped in more recent trials.

This from the Tamworth SC:

Screenshot_2023-02-27_11-07-45.png

The general touchiness of the MG charging system seems to be an MG problem to me?

I'd flip that around. If Tesla submits a funding proposal that meets the government program's goals and criteria, what would be the basis for rejecting it? If it's just that they have a large network, does the same apply to eg Evie when their number of chargers passes Tesla?
I probably could have been clearer but one paragraph above my quote you used I was writing about Tesla's increased vehicle sales and not about being the owner of a large network.

But yes we can "flip that around" I think. Tesla put in a bid and won it fair and square is for example another one way of looking at it IMO. Used those words in a discussion with others then tried to change the subject lol.

One thing of concern is with all the smaller EV's models coming into the Australian market now, eg ones with only 70kW DC or 80kW DC max charging rates, I hope the education goes to those cars to using the slower fast chargers first when options exist (Tesla V1, 100kW, V2 120-145kW) leaving the higher power ones (V3 250kW) for higher power cars capable of faster charging ? (Tesla Model 3 170kW DC, Model 3 LR 250kW DC capable) etc.
It's a tough one to solve. A nicely warmed Atto3 (for example) might charge faster than a cold Model 3. Peak speed is only part of the equation, and probably not a major factor compared to the overall charging curve, SOC and temperature.

Perhaps a mix of kWh and time-based pricing would make sense? E.g. 50c/kWh + 25c/min? The faster chargers could have a higher time-based pricing component to deter those who can't take advantage of them?