Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We visited the Baker SC on September 10th. This is an enormous location most of it covered by a roof made out of solar panels. Food options are limited nearby with a small Jersey Mike's and just a few outside tables and chairs. Way not enough to serve the potential Tesla's charging there not to mention that it's a gas station for ICE cars. We had no problems. But, we were driving on I-40 from Kingman, AZ to San Clemente, CA. I was expecting to charge at either Yermo or Barstow but our SOC was getting low so the GPS diverted us to Baker which was more than an hour out of our way. Next time I make this drive, I'm going to top off at Needles and avoid a slow drive on a two-lane Kellbaker Road to Baker and I-15.

... we were driving on I-40 from Kingman, AZ to San Clemente, CA.
I was expecting to charge at either Yermo or Barstow
but our SOC was getting low so the GPS diverted us to Baker which was more than an hour out of our way.
Next time I make this drive, I'm going to top off at Needles
and avoid a slow drive on a two-lane Kellbaker Road to Baker and I-15.
How bad was your SOC?

Looking a Google Map:

Needles to Baker: 121 miles / 1 h 55 mn (I-40) or 124 miles / 2 h 1 mn (US-95)

Needles to Yermo: 136 miles / 2 h 9 mn (I-40)

Needles to Baker then Baker to Yermo: 173 miles / 2 h 41 mn​

Did you really were not able to have the extra 12 to 15 miles of range to go to Yermo instead of Baker?
You made then a detour of 37 miles and (at least) 32 minutes of extra time by doing so when using the busy I-15.

When you said 'GPS' do you mean the Tesla NoA (Navigate on AutoPilot)?
I would more rely on APRP for finding the optimum trip duration and charging level.
The Tesla NoA is more designed to use the minimum number of superchargers, but not the optimum time.

Last edited:
We visited the Baker SC on September 10th. This is an enormous location most of it covered by a roof made out of solar panels. Food options are limited nearby with a small Jersey Mike's and just a few outside tables and chairs. Way not enough to serve the potential Tesla's charging there not to mention that it's a gas station for ICE cars. We had no problems. But, we were driving on I-40 from Kingman, AZ to San Clemente, CA. I was expecting to charge at either Yermo or Barstow but our SOC was getting low so the GPS diverted us to Baker which was more than an hour out of our way. Next time I make this drive, I'm going to top off at Needles and avoid a slow drive on a two-lane Kellbaker Road to Baker and I-15.

For next time: Leave Kingman north on US93. About two-three miles north, head west on Arizona 68 (I think that is the highway number.). That will take you to Laughlin and then west to Searchlight Nevada. Go north on US 95 a short ways to a Nevada state highway 164 (Nipton Rd.). Head west on Nipton Road, cross into California, and meet Interstate 15 about 35 miles north of Baker.

This seems counterintuitive, but is about as short as staying on I40 through Needles to Barstow.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Sounds like a crappy diversion, but I actually love those 2-lane desert roads in the Mojave. You weren't the first Tesla to drive the Kelbaker Road! The old depot in Kelso is worth checking out if you have time.

How bad was your SOC?

Looking a Google Map:

Needles to Baker: 121 miles / 1 h 55 mn (I-40) or 124 miles / 2 h 1 mn (US-95)

Needles to Yermo: 136 miles / 2 h 9 mn (I-40)

Needles to Baker then Baker to Yermo: 173 miles / 2 h 41 mn​

Did you really were not able to have the extra 12 to 15 miles of range to go to Yermo instead of Baker?
You made then a detour of 37 miles and (at least) 32 minutes of extra time by doing so when using the busy I-15.

When you said 'GPS' do you mean the Tesla NoA (Navigate on AutoPilot)?
I would more rely on APRP for finding the optimum trip duration and charging level.
The Tesla NoA is more designed to use the minimum number of superchargers, but not the optimum time.
Yermo is 1,000 ft higher than Baker, so the difference isn't trivial. Also, I-15 isn't going to be busy on a Thursday.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
For next time: Leave Kingman north on US93. About two-three miles north, head west on Arizona 68 (I think that is the highway number.). That will take you to Laughlin and then west to Searchlight Nevada. Go north on US 95 a short ways to a Nevada state highway 164 (Nipton Rd.). Head west on Nipton Road, cross into California, and meet Interstate 15 about 35 miles north of Baker.

This seems counterintuitive, but is about as short as staying on I40 through Needles to Barstow.
This is an option, but it isn't necessarily the best option. Assuming he's just trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, he should have just charged a little longer in Kingman or made a stop for a top off in Needles.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Stopped at Baker Supercharger yesterday. The Electrify America system is adding two(?) more CCS/Chademo stations. They've really done a nice job of making it look good. The whole EA area is fenced off while the work's being done. In the pix you'll see a massive 40 Tesla chargers and then the six or eight stands of EA. I look forward to Electrify America coming on strong... but my money's on Tesla and their charging systems.

Bluedog

IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 81
Reposting this from Reddit (not my story):

"Hi fellow Tesla owners. My dog Mango jumped out of my car at the Tesla supercharging station in Baker,CA on Friday, 11-20-20 around 10pm. Video footage makes me believe she is with one of the 4 Tesla owners who were at the station during this time. It was difficult to determine from the security camera footage which vehicle she went into. I have a white model3. She spent over 2 minutes jumping to get into this white modelS which she probably mistook for my car. I’m heartbroken. Completely devestated. I’m begging for her back.

I’ve attached a photo of Mango and surveillance footage, which occurred at 10:49pm, showing her approaching the white model S.

https://imgur.com/2rnaAzq.jpghttps://imgur.com/D9INEP4.jpgStreamable Video

Please help me get her back ❤️" please DM me if you have any information

I am sorry for your loss, just devastating. I wish you best luck in finding her. Did she have a tag with your phone number?

If you know exact time and charger number, Tesla would actually have the info of the car's owner. You might contact their Supercharger team. Could be the person who has your dog has already made that contact looking for you.

I once used this email address and actually received back a phone call within 2 days.: Charging Partners | Tesla

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't really watch this Supercharger location all that closely, but yesterday afternoon (Sat 29 May, Memorial Day weekend) I stopped by for a few kWh and instead of the usual experience of having all 40 chargers to myself or nearly so, I counted 28 various Tesla models there. Amazing. They were flowing in and out pretty quickly too. Traffic northbound on I-15 was substantial, southbound was clear. The adjoining Electrify America chargers had no customers.

It pleases me to see a location with a large solar canopy getting lots of use. I'm sure that the canopy couldn't keep up yesterday, but every bit helps.