Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are picking up our 3 tomorrow, Saturday, in Fremont! From design to pick-up has been two weeks! We expected four. We added everything except the self-driving option. We upgraded the rims, 310 battery, and AP. I believe that was all we could choose. And blue.
We reserved on the first day for owners, though later in the day - no waiting in the long line.
VIN: ....1997.

I configured on 11/25. After seeing others getting delivery dates I reached out to tesla who let me know who who my DS was. Unfortunately she does not know and is unable to find out why others in my area who ordered later in December have already received a VIN or have received delivery.

I'll put some faith in my assigned DS (725/NV) and that's she's doing what she can. Overworked, probably... however I don't get the feeling she is "undermotivated, or outright incompetent". I'll leave it to fate.

Just an update. I contacted my DS today, I was told she did everything she could, but I wouldn't get a 3 by year end (my tax situation probably changes in '18; not likely to be eligible for the credit.). No VIN assignment or ETA when I would get one. I asked if there was anything wrong with my reservation, confirmation, or just "me" in general; in regards to why others who confirmed weeks later were taking delivery. Answer = Nothing wrong with me, though no explanation on how the mother-ship is allocating deliveries.

I wasn't very happy, the order of things didn't seem "fair". I asked to her cancel my reservation and refund my deposit. I even called back 5 minutes later, asked her to throw out a hail mary pass... "I can be at any delivery center in CA within 24 hours". She said she would try.

An hour later, while I was drafting a post titled "Tesla... I'm done. Sycophants and over-promises"; I got a call. Delivery 12/31, Marina Del Rey (45 minutes away).

Faith restored. Despite the drama... I'm bee's knees Happy.

Thank you Tesla.

(The 3 is a surprise Xmas gift for my wife... I could only tell her on the 25th, that her gift is "red" and got "stuck" in shipping and to be patient. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if things fell through. She'll know on Sunday.)

Last edited:
Just an update. I contacted my DS today, I was told she did everything she could, but I wouldn't get a 3 by year end (my tax situation probably changes in '18; not likely to be eligible for the credit.). No VIN assignment or ETA when I would get one. I asked if there was anything wrong with my reservation, confirmation, or just "me" in general; in regards to why others who confirmed weeks later were taking delivery. Answer = Nothing wrong with me, though no explanation on how the mother-ship is allocating deliveries.

I wasn't very happy, the order of things didn't seem "fair". I asked to her cancel my reservation and refund my deposit. I even called back 5 minutes later, asked her to throw out a hail mary pass... "I can be at any delivery center in CA within 24 hours". She said she would try.

An hour later, while I was drafting a post titled "Tesla... I'm done. Sycophants and over-promises"; I got a call. Delivery 12/31, Marina Del Rey (45 minutes away).

Faith restored. Despite the drama... I'm bee's knees Happy.

Thank you Tesla.

(The 3 is a surprise Xmas gift for my wife... I could only tell her on the 25th, that her gift is "red" and got "stuck" in shipping and to be patient. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if things fell through. She'll know on Sunday.)

@aaron0k, so happy for you and for your wife! There shouldn’t have been the drama but, glad you pushed Tesla hard on this. Like I said, my situation was less painful but, did take some persistence on my part to get a 2017 delivery.

What time did you receive the call and where in CA are you located? I'm in the Central Valley and have been stalking my phone since I configured on the 22nd.

Thanks in advance!

I got the call yesterday morning and of course I ignored it. Even forgot about checking the voicemail since I was busy. I did get a follow up email in the afternoon which I responded, too. The advisor is based out of Las Vegas.

I'm located in the SF Bay Area and will be picking it up in Fremont.

Reactions: MonsterCarter
I'm curious how long the turnaround from ordering to delivery it will be for the first week of January people.

I'm wondering whether these 2 week (or less) turnarounds are just to get bigger numbers for the quarter, or it will continue into next year.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not in a big hurry to get mine, so I've waited a bit, it might end up delaying things quite a bit, but we'll see.

We received our call on Friday from the agent in Las Vegas. She said to allow the usual four weeks.

She called back Saturday and said that our car would be available January 5--one week--in Fremont for pick up.

I mentioned that we lived 160 miles from Fremont, and she got back to us for delivery at our home on January 12.

We ordered the white paint and the sport 19" wheels. No other items.

There must be a modest amount of inventory that is ready for delivery sooner than the four-week schedule.

Perhaps manufacturing is ramping up to close to 1,000 per week now. Will be interesting to find out if there is an acceleration to delivery as 2018 unfolds....

We received our call on Friday from the agent in Las Vegas. She said to allow the usual four weeks.

She called back Saturday and said that our car would be available January 5--one week--in Fremont for pick up.

I mentioned that we lived 160 miles from Fremont, and she got back to us for delivery at our home on January 12.

We ordered the white paint and the sport 19" wheels. No other items.

There must be a modest amount of inventory that is ready for delivery sooner than the four-week schedule.

Perhaps manufacturing is ramping up to close to 1,000 per week now. Will be interesting to find out if there is an acceleration to delivery as 2018 unfolds....

Hey @cpa ,

I'm from the Central Valley as well, great to hear that they are willing to deliver to your home. I'm hoping they offer me this as well. When did you place your oder? I placed on the 22nd and have not received a call.

Last edited: