Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should not over-parse the config page. SR option means manufacturing 2 batteries vs 1. I doubt SR will be available with Dual at first. I suspect when SR becomes available, it will be for D and non-D. That’s logic talking, not interpretation of any Tesla publications.

I expect AWD LR before AWD SR, but I wouldn't be surprised if AWD SR came before RWD SR, just from a margin perspective.

It makes sense that the SR would come with Dual motor option at the same time as RWD. By then they will already have dual motor figured out and tested so it makes sense to offer the SR with and without at the same time.

But they will just be introducing and ramping production of the SR batteries, so it makes sense to put the initial units in the higher priced AWD cars. For any new configuration there is time when they can sell all they can produce from the backlog of reservation holders waiting for that config. Why not sell the entire first month or two of production of SR batteries in AWD cars if it makes them more money?

But they will just be introducing and ramping production of the SR batteries, so it makes sense to put the initial units in the higher priced AWD cars. For any new configuration there is time when they can sell all they can produce from the backlog of reservation holders waiting for that config. Why not sell the entire first month or two of production of SR batteries in AWD cars if it makes them more money?

I dont see why there would be a major difference in SR battery automation vs LR. I would assume its the same machines, just less cells in the pack. I assume that they thought of this when they designed the pack to make sure that the same hardware could build both packs. I am not going to claim to know what it will take, but it seems to me that you could make 2/3s the modules that go into the pack and then there is some kind of spacer that takes up the excess room. I am sure its a bit more complicated then that, but it would seem to me to be one of the easiest problems to solve when compared to the problems from automating the pack production.

I dont see why there would be a major difference in SR battery automation vs LR. I would assume its the same machines, just less cells in the pack. I assume that they thought of this when they designed the pack to make sure that the same hardware could build both packs. I am not going to claim to know what it will take, but it seems to me that you could make 2/3s the modules that go into the pack and then there is some kind of spacer that takes up the excess room. I am sure its a bit more complicated then that, but it would seem to me to be one of the easiest problems to solve when compared to the problems from automating the pack production.

But who cares what the exact numbers are, since there is obviously some limit to how many they can produce. Let's say they are making 30,000 cars in a month and they start making half of them as SR cars instantly. They certainly have far more than 15,000 people waiting for SR AWD. If they can sell their entire production of SR batteries as AWD configs for a few weeks to people who have been waiting for that configuration, why wouldn't they?

There are all kinds of permutations with different logic. IMO the extra margin in Dual is nowhere near the extra margin in LR. So I can understand prioritizing the higher LR margin early in production ramp up... but when they decide they are ready to make SR an option, I don’t see enough extra margin to restrict it to Dual. If I had to guess I’d say more likely early SRs are stripped to make good on 35k commitment.

Reactions: Big Earl
I’m really hoping so! If invites today we should see the last of the owner configs go out and maybe perhaps a small batch of non-owner invites as well.

I hope so but I think non-owners are still a ways out. There are at least several owners on this thread who are still showing March-May and Tesla is not exactly known for hitting the early side of estimates.

Reactions: rsbell
I hope so but I think non-owners are still a ways out. There are at least several owners on this thread who are still showing March-May and Tesla is not exactly known for hitting the early side of estimates.

I believe all uninvited people have March to May or later, so unless you think Tesla is going to not delivery any cars for the next couple months that’s going to change. There aren’t that many owners left, so I believe the only two choices are no invites go out at all, or they finish up with the rest of the owners in the next couple batches of invites.

Reactions: Rusty1
I believe all uninvited people have March to May or later, so unless you think Tesla is going to not delivery any cars for the next couple months that’s going to change. There aren’t that many owners left, so I believe the only two choices are no invites go out at all, or they finish up with the rest of the owners in the next couple batches of invites.

I don't believe any invites will go out. That's just my gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rusty1
You owners are being massively disrespected. Do not stand for it any more. You have more pride than to let Elon jerk you around like this. Just cancel your Rez now and be done with him.

s/
Non-owner, line waiter

If you really want to rub Elon's face in it, take it to the extreme and sell me your lightly used P100D Model X for pennies on the dollar. Elon would be utterly devastated, and possibly never recover. Imagine the satisfaction you will feel ! :D

PM me ASAP.

RT