Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner equal rich?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
First off I don’t even go to this rec center. I received this in my mail box today with no return address. Do people assume Tesla are rich owners? What about BMW or Mercedes or Audi’s?

There are a few Tesla model 3 in my area and they just assume. I drive by this place cause it’s next to my son school. I go to other fitness center.

image1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Go anywhere today and if they find out you own a Tesla, the price just went up, for example, I walked into a Audio store asking about a Subwoofer & Amp, told him it would need to be all in one and low profile as it needed to go in the back of the car... he was looking out the window and assumed I drove up in a Crv or a Honda Civic and showed me this sub, he quoted me $500.00 he also told me this is the Sub that they install in BMW’s, when I told him do they have experience with Tesla’s he changed his tune immediately and told me I shouldn’t install this sub, I told him but wait that was the GOTO subs for the “BMW’s” now that sub isn’t good enough?? He then added well the install price is $700.00 and I said wait you said $500.00 and agreed to the $500.00, I told him see ya! Found the same sub for 259.00 online.

The speaker upgrade package that this other shows on YouTube is $6500.00 and takes 5 days to install LoL, I guess they work 15 minutes per day. So when it comes to Tesla, do your research and go elsewhere.

Fred

I don't see this as anti-Tesla or a presumption you are rich.

It is, though. They didn’t write “if you can afford a new car”, they wrote “if you can afford a Tesla”.

The general public’s perception is that the Tesla is made of unobtainium.

We’ve only had our Model 3 for a month, and I’ve already caught a ton of flack about it from family and friends. They all assume it’s an expensive car, akin to a Porsche or somesuch. When I do the math and show them it’s cheaper than an Accord, they all get this puzzled and skeptical look. But it’s genuinely true.

My last vehicle was a Cadillac that cost $12k more than my LR AWD fully decked out, and I never heard a word about it.

Heck, our Buick cost more than the Model 3. And absolutely nobody assumes you’re “rich” for driving a Buick.

But they see a Tesla and make a pretty crazy assumption.

It’s very much a thing.

It is, though. They didn’t write “if you can afford a new car”, they wrote “if you can afford a Tesla”.

The general public’s perception is that the Tesla is made of unobtainium.

We’ve only had our Model 3 for a month, and I’ve already caught a ton of flack about it from family and friends. They all assume it’s an expensive car, akin to a Porsche or somesuch. When I do the math and show them it’s cheaper than an Accord, they all get this puzzled and skeptical look. But it’s genuinely true.

My last vehicle was a Cadillac that cost $12k more than my LR AWD fully decked out, and I never heard a word about it.

Heck, our Buick cost more than the Model 3. And absolutely nobody assumes you’re “rich” for driving a Buick.

But they see a Tesla and make a pretty crazy assumption.

It’s very much a thing.
You are projecting your experience into this note. Reread it and please.quote where is makes any presumption about all Tesla owners being rich.

That said I will restate that if someone is buying a new car, they should be doing fine financially at least we'll enough to afford a gym membership. Median household income in the USA is under $60k I don't know anyone making that little buying a new $35k car.

You are projecting your experience into this note. Reread it and please.quote where is makes any presumption about all Tesla owners being rich.

That said I will restate that if someone is buying a new car, they should be doing fine financially at least we'll enough to afford a gym membership. Median household income in the USA is under $60k I don't know anyone making that little buying a new $35k car.

Specifically, the part where the letter called them out “You drive a Tesla. If you can afford this car” ....

It didn’t say “If you can afford a new car” - it very clearly called out owning a Tesla as the benchmark for having disposable income.

The person writing the letter would say the same thing about a 6 year old Model S. The age of the vehicle never entered the anonymous letter writer’s mind - only the make.

Edited to add: as for projecting my experience - I live in the county with the 9th highest median income in the US, and we still get these kind of “unobtanium” discussions. Average income has nothing to do with the public perception ...

Obviously, using a gym without paying for it is wrong, but I do not understand why bothering tracking the (wrong) person and sending anonymous passive-aggressive note. Wouldn't be much simpler and more effective to confront the offender at the scene of the crime?

Some folks like the thrill of the chase. Making it a little cloak and dagger. Instead of top secret files, its notes in mailboxes about trivial things. Must be bored. We all know people like this. Have to fix all of society's ills themselves. Yet accomplish nothing more than annoying others.

That being said......

The U.S. Code for crimes and criminal procedure prohibits the placement of unstamped flyers in any mailbox. Title 18, section 1725 states that any person who knowingly deposits "mail-able matter" without postage in an established letter box shall be subject to a fine.

The Government Accountability Office reports that fines may be as high as $5,000 per occurrence for individuals and $10,000 per occurrence for organizations.

This law is commonly known as the "mailbox restriction."