Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the early snow storm in Calgary, I wasn't sure the stock 18" Aero wheels would perform on me AWD Model 3. I have been very impressed with the traction I have.

image_-1671118263.png

The Michelin Primacys that came stock on my S were great the first winter I had them, but the second winter I had to change them out for Nokian WRG3s. The Nokians are not nearly as good in the summer on dry pavement but are much better then the Primacys in snow and slush once the Primacys were worn a bit. Changed out the Michelins at about 48,000 km around a year ago.

Reactions: GlenM
The Michelin Primacys that came stock on my S were great the first winter I had them, but the second winter I had to change them out for Nokian WRG3s. The Nokians are not nearly as good in the summer on dry pavement but are much better then the Primacys in snow and slush once the Primacys were worn a bit. Changed out the Michelins at about 48,000 km around a year ago.

Do you have different rims for your different sets of tires or do you swap the rubber onto the same set of rims?

Who do you use in Edmonton for your tire work?

Do you have different rims for your different sets of tires or do you swap the rubber onto the same set of rims?

Who do you use in Edmonton for your tire work?
No, I'm one of those cheap guys - one set of rims to rule them all :). I run the Nokian WRs year-round, my feeling is you never know when it's going to snow in this province and I do a fair number of trips into the foothills (at least once a month), don't want to get caught out on summer tires. I'm sure dedicated snows are better than the WRs, but I'm happy with them in the winter.

Nokians are only available at Kal Tire as far as I know, but I and a number of the Edmonton owners have used various Tirecraft stores. An S owner named Vlad owns a few of them; Trail Tire on St. Albert Trail in St. Albert is the closest one that I have used in the past, he also owns one on Ellerslie and possibly the one on 118 Ave by Kingsway. Highly recommended by all the Edmonton owners that I have talked to (there's a Whats App group of us). His stores know how to properly lift Teslas, since Vlad owns one. I have used the Kal in the northwest, they have done a few Teslas as well and I'm comfortable they know what they're doing when they lift mine.

• Informative
Reactions: lotuni and M3AB
What's this "What's App" group you speak of?? :) . How does one join?
@Footbag Andrew can invite you to the chat group. Good source of info for the EV scene in Edmonton in general and Tesla specifically. If this post doesn't flag Andrew (not sure how often he's on here these days), PM me your name and phone number and I'll get him to add you to the group.

No, I'm one of those cheap guys - one set of rims to rule them all :). ......

I'm sure the question has been answered before but how many times can a tire be installed-removed from a rim before the tire bead wears out ?

I should have asked that when I was at KAL tire and also the change over costs.

I did ask about seasonal wheel storage which Kal offers for $100 / set that includes the wheel swap and balance.
Fortunately I have storage so I do the fall / spring wheel switch over myself.

The other thing to consider is the winter wear and tear to the rims themselves.

Last edited:
Yes. I bought the Aero wheel Cap Cover kit before the car was even delivered so that I could take the covers off right away. I'm just trying to force myself to like the more "efficient" look. All my cars to date have had light colour wheels. So I think that is my problem. Maybe I'll paint them silver or do a chrome delete.