Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greed.

The last time they adjusted prices, the dollar was at $0.746 USD. As I type this we're at $0.761 USD. They should be cutting prices, not raising them.

I guess that is why there are articles stating that Tesla has a higher average profit per vehicle than all other manufacturers, slightly higher than Porsche. Porsche has approx 20% profit on their vehicles, but Tesla's profits were a few percent more (I believe 22%). Although the last article I read was mid to early 2015.

I guess that is why there are articles stating that Tesla has a higher average profit per vehicle than all other manufacturers, slightly higher than Porsche. Porsche has approx 20% profit on their vehicles, but Tesla's profits were a few percent more (I believe 22%). Although the last article I read was mid to early 2015.
This is what happens when you have ZERO competition and sell every vehicle you're capable of producing.

Their profit margin will continue to increase until someone else decides to actually compete with them. I give it about 5 years.

I also believe it is in the selling model they have created. There is no potential for a 'negotiation' on price for new orders. basically domestic car manufacturers have created a world where people 'expect' a discount or to negotiate, but that is counter to supply/demand fundamentals as they overproduce then have to heavily discount to make room for incoming models. Instead they should adjust production to meet demand and not try to flood the market

Yes, but you can also read articles claiming that Tesla is losing money on every car :) Obviously this is only true when looking at their capital expenditure for the Giga factory, superchargers etc. all of which is part of their long term plan. They are allegedly making at least 20% per car but while you could call that greed, others might say they are fighting their way to an overall profitability so the market will stop kicking them in the ass for not being profitable. Over the last quarter or so they have been pushing very hard to be able to show a profit and last quarter they succeeded. They have never really made any bones about the fact that the current high end cars are being used to finance the future lower end cars. I'm an owner and a shareholder so I'm often conflicted on this :)

Reactions: int32_t and Lon12
Yes, but you can also read articles claiming that Tesla is losing money on every car :) Obviously this is only true when looking at their capital expenditure for the Giga factory, superchargers etc. all of which is part of their long term plan. They are allegedly making at least 20% per car but while you could call that greed, others might say they are fighting their way to an overall profitability so the market will stop kicking them in the ass for not being profitable. Over the last quarter or so they have been pushing very hard to be able to show a profit and last quarter they succeeded. They have never really made any bones about the fact that the current high end cars are being used to finance the future lower end cars. I'm an owner and a shareholder so I'm often conflicted on this :)

I do agree, it is all in perspective. I missed my chance to buy stock in 2014 as I was uncertain on the success of the company at that time. I regret not buying shares as I would have seen a nice increase in value. There are still spikes and dips though, but that is normal for a tech company

Reactions: gpetti
I'd like to talk to you more about this one day. I am an active member of a condo board and I also am in the process of developing a new condo building in Sunnyside. We have discussed adding EV charging and I've argued that they shouldn't be seperately metered as the draw is so little - or we add a common Sun Country type charger but not sure if you can buy ones that you can charge/meter per use? I'm interested in hearing a good solution for this. More people have EVs and Condos so this is becoming a challenge. Thank you.
I've been working at this for over a year myself. I think you need to either have a circuit connected to the owner's breaker panel and meter, or a system that keeps track of use/consumption if power comes from a common property circuit. I've got a FLO X5 in my trunk right now, waiting to go to the condo. It includes use of a *free* cloud based data collection site and the FLO talks to it via that data connection system that runs on power lines, back to your router (forget the name).

The X5 is fine for your own exclusive use, if you can control it (lock it), since power could come from the common property's power meter and the residents won't be stuck to buy you power. You see, that's what the big issue was for me... ensuring the strata didn't pay for a single kWh of power going to my car. Worse yet, nobody wants to ask the strata management company to read a digital meter, so the cloud system was much better received.

The next model above the X5 is the CORE something-or-other. It includes an RFID reader and similar cloud access (although I'm not clear on whether it's included free of charge or not). That one would let several people use the same charge post and keep track of the power consumed by each user.

The X5 allows you to load share with two units. The CORE does 4 I think. What this all boils down to is, if you're doing new construction, installing conduit to the parking lot with the idea of load balancing is probably the right move. The charge equipment is evolving rapidly... I mention the units above because they appeared on the scene late in my work to get a charge station allowed by the strata.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I've been working at this for over a year myself. I think you need to either have a circuit connected to the owner's breaker panel and meter, or a system that keeps track of use/consumption if power comes from a common property circuit. I've got a FLO X5 in my trunk right now, waiting to go to the condo. It includes use of a *free* cloud based data collection site and the FLO talks to it via that data connection system that runs on power lines, back to your router (forget the name).

The X5 is fine for your own exclusive use, if you can control it (lock it), since power could come from the common property's power meter and the residents won't be stuck to buy you power. You see, that's what the big issue was for me... ensuring the strata didn't pay for a single kWh of power going to my car. Worse yet, nobody wants to ask the strata management company to read a digital meter, so the cloud system was much better received.

The next model above the X5 is the CORE something-or-other. It includes an RFID reader and similar cloud access (although I'm not clear on whether it's included free of charge or not). That one would let several people use the same charge post and keep track of the power consumed by each user.

The X5 allows you to load share with two units. The CORE does 4 I think. What this all boils down to is, if you're doing new construction, installing conduit to the parking lot with the idea of load balancing is probably the right move. The charge equipment is evolving rapidly... I mention the units above because they appeared on the scene late in my work to get a charge station allowed by the strata.
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks!!

Residents | FLO

Great news!!! Placed deposit on the Model 3 today!
Also, found out from condo developer that I am able to get a dedicated parking stall with 220V plug. Now I have a few concerns over that as I need to begin researching chargers which can be locked while I am away on business, at work etc. Just have some concerns over other owners in the building using it without consent.

Advice?
FYI I was at a few new-condo sales Centres the other day and asked about EV charging - appears that it isn't a very highly requested item and most builders aren't proactive on the need for future charging in underground parking for condos.

I was at the Kensington building (also Bucci) and they mentioned nobody had requested this, "but we do have someone at Radius that has requested it"! I smiled :)

I know the sales girl at Radius mentioned that they are trying to re-work the electrical plans to allow for the addition of charging. This is possible as they are still pouring footings and no structure is in place (yet).

Retrofitting is something condo boards will need to figure out as demand for EV's increases

FYI I was at a few new-condo sales Centres the other day and asked about EV charging - appears that it isn't a very highly requested item and most builders aren't proactive on the need for future charging in underground parking for condos.

I was at the Kensington building (also Bucci) and they mentioned nobody had requested this, "but we do have someone at Radius that has requested it"! I smiled :)

Maybe the Luxury Green Home of the Future is a Condo ;)

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Nice find! The Flo EVSEs are made in Canada. When's the last time I saw something made in Canada? :eek:
I've got the electricians starting the work on Tuesday. Should have a good idea of how well the X5 works next weekend, or sooner. I have a feeling that the Core+ will be replaced by another variant of the G5/X5 model. I think they're all the same under the skin and are differentiated by software. If I'm right, then perhaps there will be a firmware upgrade to the X5 that would allow an RFID card to work with it. I'd love to take it apart to see if it does have the RFID capability, just disabled in firmware, but that might impact warranty... LOL

I'm running AWD. Though my previous two ICE cars where rear wheel and I never had an issue. The only reason I chose AWD this time is because I feel most buyers feel they need to have AWD unfortunately and eventually I will need to sell mine.