Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading a lot about the Model 3 and the delays in production (not surprised as this was common with the Model X).

However, the lack of proper instrumentation is bothering me. I am also a BMW guy, and the frequent use of the M3 terminology often confuses me and makes me check the forum I am reading.

Just looking for some feedback to convince me not to cancel my reservation. I have a feeling it will be fall 2019 before I get my car, and by that time, there will be a number of other EV's out there as competition in the $70,000 CAD price range - notably the Audi e-tron.

I’m not going to try to convince you to do anything; make the choice that is right for you. However, a couple of thoughts on your situation:
1. Unless you need the money, why not keep the reservation and your spot in line until you’ve at least seen the upcoming competitors? Maybe they’ll be terrible, and you’ll be that much further down the line for a 3 if you’ve already cancelled. Maybe they’ll be great, and you can cancel your reservation then, no harm, no foul. If you are asked to configure before the competitors are available, then I’d say that’s the time to ask your question.
2. Tesla is not perfect; do you think Jag or Audi or MB will be perfect in model year one of a new electric vehicle? Do you think they will support any issues that do arise, the way Tesla has so far (think drive unit replacements)
3. Not sure you can compare a 3 to an e-Tron. Maybe more like a Y, which is a few more years away likely. If form factor doesn’t matter, then compare away.

I would suggest patience, see how the production ramp goes, and bide your time until you actually have to make the choice.

For what it’s worth.

• Helpful
Reactions: gpetti and Zapped
I'm not cancelling my reservation because I don't want to lose my spot in line. My car just hit the 10 year old mark and as soon as I can test drive a 3 and confirm it's acceptable, I'll jump on it. I doubt we will see ANY dealership in Calgary that will sell and service an electric car, other than Tesla, before 2019. That kind of seals the deal for me as I am guessing we'll see 3 deliveries in Calgary by 2019Q1. I'd absolutely love to test drive an affordable electric long range car with a L3 charging network available before then, but aside from the Bolt, I doubt that will happen.

I think the 3 production ramp is probably only a month or two "behind" the July (which was optimistic in itself) launch schedule, so I think we're in good shape.

Agreed on the M3 ambiguity - really annoying and ignorant.

Reactions: gpetti
While we're discussing Model 3 … I'm waffling between [buy a cheap, reliable used car] <---> [wait for Model 3]. On the one hand I've already done just fine for a year and a half without a car at all. On the other hand it is super inconvenient, and I have to keep getting rides with others. And I like to get up to Edmonton regularly, which requires taking the bus. Buying a used car now seems like giving up the dream though, and it'll eat into Model 3 savings big-time. Used cars may cost less, but insurance sure doesn't, and winter tires, gas, oil changes, etc will all add up fast.

While we're discussing Model 3 … I'm waffling between [buy a cheap, reliable used car] <---> [wait for Model 3]. On the one hand I've already done just fine for a year and a half without a car at all. On the other hand it is super inconvenient, and I have to keep getting rides with others. And I like to get up to Edmonton regularly, which requires taking the bus. Buying a used car now seems like giving up the dream though, and it'll eat into Model 3 savings big-time. Used cars may cost less, but insurance sure doesn't, and winter tires, gas, oil changes, etc will all add up fast.

if you only need a car for the occasional trip to Edmonton you might want to consider just renting one. it would not be as cheap as a bus ticket but it would still allow you to keep most of your savings in the bank till a Model 3 is available. A $50 - $75 per day rental is a drop in the bucket compared to a $ 50k model 3. Plus No tires, no service, no repairs to worry about. Far more reliable than a cheap used car, and gas money is gas money.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zapped
if you only need a car for the occasional trip to Edmonton you might want to consider just renting one. it would not be as cheap as a bus ticket but it would still allow you to keep most of your savings in the bank till a Model 3 is available. A $50 - $75 per day rental is a drop in the bucket compared to a $ 50k model 3. Plus No tires, no service, no repairs to worry about. Far more reliable than a cheap used car, and gas money is gas money.
I was just in Edmonton and a 3 day rental (Thursday through Saturday) was $82.83, taxes in, for a “standard” vehicle out of YEG, which I thought was a surprisingly good price. Ended up being given a Ford Edge, as a free “upgrade”.

Worked fine, but the first thing I did when I got to the hotel was to park it and use a hotel bike to get around.

Here is something to consider...

We picked up a 2012 used Volt back in April. We wanted to turn in our VW TDI ASAP before something happened to it and needed a vehicle to last until the Model 3 arrives, hopefully late next year. Like you, we have solar (7.98 kW) so it's great driving the Volt on electrons we produced ourselves - a nice taste of what is to come. It is doubtful that there will be much maintenance required before our Model 3 arrives and we expect it to be a fairly reliable car as most of the mileage is done on electricity.

After turning in the 2010 VW TDI Sportwagen, I managed to buy the 2012 Volt and still pocket about $5000, so for me the Volt was cheap, not sure what your idea of cheap is though. 2012 Volts were going new for about $50K and now are selling for around $17K so it's a pretty good deal. I do love mine and will be passing it on to my son when the Model 3 arrives, but I expect if I were to sell it at that time, the depreciation hit wouldn't be too bad.

All good points .... but depending on how old the used car is vs the rental, you could save money on gas too.:)
I was just in Edmonton and a 3 day rental (Thursday through Saturday) was $82.83, taxes in, for a “standard” vehicle out of YEG, which I thought was a surprisingly good price. Ended up being given a Ford Edge, as a free “upgrade”. Worked fine, but the first thing I did when I got to the hotel was to park it and use a hotel bike to get around.

$82 is a good price. I just guessed at $75 a day given that you wouldn't know what vehicles are available and including stuff like insurance, bring back empty, tends to drive the price up fast.

I think the 3 production ramp is probably only a month or two "behind" the July (which was optimistic in itself) launch schedule, so I think we're in good shape.
Wasn't the original timeline "Production by the end of 2017" and the fact that they got the car out in (limited) production by July/Aug actually on time or even early? [correct me if I'm wrong]
I believe [insert UFO poster here] that the Alberta Model 3 deliveries will be Q3 or early Q4 2018. The ramp up should be quick on this one compared to the X as this car is way less complex.

I also agree on the improper use of M3... also a former BMW guy - the M3 has a right to be reserved for the BMW M3. Model 3 or simply "3" is fine. We still use MS and MX though so I see the dilemma.

I did have an opportunity to see a couple Model 3s in person and I can't wait to get mine... even with the lack of display in front of the steering wheel (or perhaps BECAUSE of the lack of display in front of the steering wheel!). Now I have to go back and drink more Kool-Aid - I think I'm coming out of my zombie state.

Went and drove from Edmonton to Calgary to look at the CPO P90D and we able to drive a 2017 100D from the store to the service center , I didn't realize till Tesla told me that at the moment you cant test drive a CPO and that you buy "as is" with whatever warranty was left, but they did say they would to a though inspection of the car. However we found a lot of rust color spots all over the back half of the car that appear to be under the clear coat as we could not feel them when you ran your finger nail over them. Thinking the day was a waste the Tesla rep said lets go and drive the 2017 100D some more and we did and wow was I impressed and so was my wife. To make a long story short the tesla rep said they could see what kind of deal they could make on the 100D we test drove and boy did they ever ,looks like Ill have a 2017 100D sitting in the driveway shortly. Tesla knows how to treat customers unlike other dealerships.

Went and drove from Edmonton to Calgary to look at the CPO P90D and we able to drive a 2017 100D from the store to the service center , I didn't realize till Tesla told me that at the moment you cant test drive a CPO and that you buy "as is" with whatever warranty was left, but they did say they would to a though inspection of the car. However we found a lot of rust color spots all over the back half of the car that appear to be under the clear coat as we could not feel them when you ran your finger nail over them. Thinking the day was a waste the Tesla rep said lets go and drive the 2017 100D some more and we did and wow was I impressed and so was my wife. To make a long story short the tesla rep said they could see what kind of deal they could make on the 100D we test drove and boy did they ever ,looks like Ill have a 2017 100D sitting in the driveway shortly. Tesla knows how to treat customers unlike other dealerships.

Great news! Sounds like you got a great deal on a great car.
I will have to go have a look at that CPO. The rust spots you saw were probably just surface iron deposits. I get them on all my cars here in Calgary. They look bad but are fairly easy to remove. I think they are just small iron filings that get mixed with the road salt and stick to your car. You typically only find them where the road dirt sprays on the car. The same areas that road tar sticks after you drive over a wet patch.... That happened to me this summer driving from Vancouver (yuck). :mad: