Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ownership says ALC is part of basic AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
So after confusing and conflicting information from various Tesla sales and service folks about whether Auto Lane Change is part or not part of the basic Autopilot package, I called Tesla Ownership and the person I spoke to confirmed that it is.

Has anyone already taken delivery of a Model 3 ordered after Feb 28 with only basic Autopilot (not Enhanced AP, and without FSD)?
If so, does turning on the turn signal while Autosteer is engaged on a freeway initiate a lane change for you?

So after confusing and conflicting information from various Tesla sales and service folks about whether Auto Lane Change is part or not part of the basic Autopilot package, I called Tesla Ownership and the person I spoke to confirmed that it is.

Has anyone already taken delivery of a Model 3 ordered after Feb 28 with only basic Autopilot (not Enhanced AP, and without FSD)?
If so, does turning on the turn signal while Autosteer is engaged on a freeway initiate a lane change for you?

I have an older November delivery, did not have AP, ordered for $2k, got it yesterday and used on highway. Tried auto lane change and it didn't work.

Reactions: APotatoGod
This is a common problem. No one at Tesla (well, probably very few) actually drive a Tesla and get to ‘play’ with settings except in the line of duty and that may only be what’s in a manual or a simulator and definitely not on the road.

Same issue we get with Q and A in Service Centers and Stores.

And I gather ‘Ownership’ would be ‘Tech Support’ on the phone. It’s hard to get to anyone through the phone tree now, I usually resort to Roadside. Blech.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Whoever you spoke with probably confused AP with EAP. EAP has the ALC. When EAP discontinued as an option ALC moved over to FSD and the basics got reduced to just AP. Kinda sucks but I think it was a power move by Tesla to get people to spend the extra for FSD.

Whoever you spoke with probably confused AP with EAP. EAP has the ALC. When EAP discontinued as an option ALC moved over to FSD and the basics got reduced to just AP. Kinda sucks but I think it was a power move by Tesla to get people to spend the extra for FSD.

The person I spoke to actually knew the differences between AP, EAP, and FSD and could tell me the dates when things changed, prices, etc. So he seemed pretty knowledgeable, and even sent me an email to confirm what he told me verbally (which is something he volunteered, as he was aware the ALC feature is not explicitly described on their website).

I think it was more of a move to get buyers to buy AP and not buy a different vehicle instead.

Prior to (manually) changing lanes, one needs to disengage AP first? Quite counter-intuitive for such an easy task, isn't it? Hopefully Tesla will correct that.

You can muscle your way to take control for anything you want. It just means that the car won't do the lane change for you, and you probably have to re-engage TACC once you did the lane change yourself.