Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the Rav4 EV uses the same motor as a Model S.
Ok if its the same motor, then the inverter is less then the S (or its just electronically limited). According to Toyota peak power is only 115 KW as the over 225 KW in every model S.
http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev/features.html#!/mechanical_performance/4480

Either way the logic still stands. There is a reason there is not a separate EPA rating for the P85 vs the Standard 85 (89 mpge). Likewise the reason the Standard 60 (95 mpge) was redone was due to weight reduction (not power) due to the lighter pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like i was a little off as I assumed the EPA ratings were based on 100 percent pack usage. The 5-cycle doesnt use 100 percent pack so the Tesla S 60 is 35 kwh/100 miles, S85 is 38 kwh/100 miles and the Toyota Rav 4 is 44 kwh/100 miles.

As a side note for cars that do nothing special for lower cd, the old Transit Connect EV which is much smaller, lower and lighter then a full crew cab pickup gets 54 kwh/100 miles. Unfortunately there are no pickups on this site.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like i was a little off as I assumed the EPA ratings were based on 100 percent pack usage. The 5-cycle doesnt use 100 percent pack so the Tesla S 60 is 35 kwh/100 miles, S85 is 38 kwh/100 miles and the Toyota Rav 4 is 44 kwh/100 miles.

As a side note for cars that do nothing special for lower cd, the old Transit Connect EV which is much smaller, lower and lighter then a full crew cab pickup gets 54 kwh/100 miles. Unfortunately there are no pickups on this site.

Last edited:
The Rav4 EV uses the same motor/gearbox/inverter assembly as Model S. Yes, it is limited to 273 horsepower in the front wheel drive Rav4 EV (torque steer is crazy) and it is significantly lighter than Model S at 4032 pounds.

Also, your range / economy data is way off. The EPA uses an averaging method for just the 2013 LEAF and the 2012-2014 Rav4 EV. The actual range of both at 65mph on a flat, sea level, no wind, no heater or A/C, no degradation pack at 70F is:

84 miles (84 miles EPA five cycle w/100% charge) / 21kWh useable of 24kWh rated pack - 2013 LEAF

142 miles (113 miles EPA five cycle w/100% charge) / 41.8kWh useable of guesstimated 48kWh-50kWh pack - 2012-2014 Rav4 EV (to be replaced in 2015 with a hydrogen compliance car)

I still don't understand your math. The EPA rating for the Model S is definitely 31kWh/100 miles for the S85 (265 mile rating for about 82kWh usable) and I calculate about 37kWh for the RAV4 (after 3000 miles I can tell you I definitely reliably use 32.5kWh/100 miles in the Model S). Perhaps Tony can say what the real world usage on the RAV4 tends to be.

I still don't understand your math. The EPA rating for the Model S is definitely 31kWh/100 miles for the S85 (265 mile rating for about 82kWh usable) and I calculate about 37kWh for the RAV4 (after 3000 miles I can tell you I definitely reliably use 32.5kWh/100 miles in the Model S). Perhaps Tony can say what the real world usage on the RAV4 tends to be.

See post above... 142 miles at 65mph with 41.8kWh useable.

Redneck Ignoramus Quotes from pickuptrucks.com

Many of the comments there are depressingly funny.

I thought the same thing. What a bunch of red-neck crybabies. Bellyaching about "subsidies" to "Obama's electric cars" .... They don't seem to have a problem with the big oil or big agriculture industry subsidies, do they? Here are a couple of the funniest ones I read:

Not for me, or any other red blooded American,
comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: DODGEGUY | Nov 12, 2012 10:23:36 AM

Yea, I think GM will have the first Electric truck. I mean if the governent has their way, GM is loosing thousands on every Volt they sell, but the government won't let them discontinue it.

@Rick, yep. If there's going to be an electric truck from anyone, it will be from GM and their GM'C' namesake truck. Just another Government Motors debacle waiting to happen. They took the money and made a deal with the devil himself. I can see the taxfunded rebates on new GMC's already.

comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: RonHansen | Nov 12, 2012 10:35:47 AM

GovtMoCo Sierra

-They're bringing back the Govt.MoCo. Canyon too. I'd suspect that will be the first one as toycrusher84 mentioned because of it's smaller size.
Not for me, or any other red blooded American, -I hate to agree with a Dodge man but I do. Why can't the feds stay the hell away from our trucks?

comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: Tim | Nov 12, 2012 10:43:02 AM

I would be all over a pick up if they offered one.

Ditto. I have a $50,000 dodge ram diesel sitting in my driveway I use once in a while for Home Depot runs or taking brush to the dump (OK, I went to the dealership one day in a state of weakness, and always wanted a diesel truck). If I had an electric, I'd use it a lot more. Considering that the Ford F-150 and the Chevy Silverado are THE top selling vehicles in the U.S., I'd be surprised if Tesla didn't have plans to inject their technology into this market.

I keep imagining how many batteries could fit under the body of a full-sized pickup truck.

The only problem I can see with a truck is that truck people are the least likely ones to want to buy an electric car of any kind. You can't even convince most of them to get something small and economical to run around in everyday and save the truck for actual truck work. Don't even get me started on the ones who jack them up and get the biggest diesel engines (then modify them to belch black smoke) so they can haul grocery bags home from the store.

Disclaimer: That wasn't directed at badmanalan. If you need a diesel, then no problem. I drive a diesel car that not only gets 50mpg, but has lasted forever (see avatar). I'm talking about the typical "anything smaller than a huge truck is just silly" kind of owner who's never had anything in the bed at all. They actually make up a pretty large percentage of truck owners, especially here in Texas.

Last edited:
The only problem I can see with a truck is that truck people are the least likely ones to want to buy an electric car of any kind. You can't even convince most of them to get something small and economical to run around in everyday and save the truck for actual truck work.

That's exactly why it's going to sell. If it hauls, has AWD, is attractive, and the cost stays down it's a no brainer. It may take a while to convince the good 'ol boys but it WILL happen. It makes even more sense than an electric car. I remember when Nissan, and Toyota started making full size pickups. The folks around here wouldn't buy them. Now I see the Tundras everywhere with confederate flag license plates.

I bet they can't wait to replace their service trucks with these. I'd imagine they will put extra batteries into the tesla-owned fleet to increase range.

Not to mention every electric co. in the country.

I am guilty of wanting a jacked up beast truck. If I get a truck it will be 4x4 and be on monster tires, and probably jacked up. But I can't justify actually buying a truck, because it wont get used. I had a roof rack on my car. It hauls lumber better than a pickup. And can manage a couch.

But if I can go electric ... I will country up my life! But I really want a compact sized pickup. No need for full sized.

That's exactly why it's going to sell. If it hauls, has AWD, is attractive, and the cost stays down it's a no brainer. It may take a while to convince the good 'ol boys but it WILL happen. It makes even more sense than an electric car. I remember when Nissan, and Toyota started making full size pickups. The folks around here wouldn't buy them. Now I see the Tundras everywhere with confederate flag license plates.

Don't get me wrong. I think it makes perfect sense, just as an electric car with over 200 miles of range makes perfect sense. But here in Texas, which is the biggest truck market in the US, I see 1,000 GM, Ford and Dodge pickups for every Tundra or Nissan full-sized truck I see. Most are used as everyday vehicles, not trucks, especially the ones optioned up to $50K. The people who actually use trucks as they're intended wouldn't dream of spending $70K on a pickup. Most are also woefully uninformed about EVs in general based on conversations I have with them, and really don't want to learn about them. It's almost a badge of honor to say that their truck can belch more smoke and get fewer MPGs than their friend's truck. It's really a "buyamericanbiggerisbestscrewthetreehuggers" good ol' boy attitude down here. :rolleyes:

The reason the Model S is doing so well is that at $90K, it is able to compete directly with other cars costing $90K. EVs such as the Leaf, Volt, Focus and to a lesser degree the new BMW, are trying to compete with cars costing half their price. It's harder to justify the extra expense to go electric. If Tesla can make an electric pickup that will compete directly with an optioned up pickup for the same cost, then they may have a shot. Until then, the good ol' boys will have to hang their truck-nuts on a Chevy or Ford.

Last edited:
I'd buy an electric Pick-up. I may live in the People's Republic of Boulder, but you can't totally slay the Texan in someone and I do want a pick up. ;)

That and it would make those trips to IKEA much easier. That's why I've been thinking Model X but if there is going to be a Tesla pick-up, I'd love to see it happen.

I have a $50,000 dodge ram diesel sitting in my driveway I use once in a while for Home Depot runs or taking brush to the dump
I'd buy an electric Pick-up /…/ I do want a pick up. /…/ it would make those trips to IKEA much easier
In Europe a lot of people use trailers like these:

saab_trailer.jpg

…when going to IKEA and similar places. And we don’t even own them (!) We rent them at the local gas station. What do you say Americans? Could you make it fit into your way of life?

Also: Note the station wagon. We don’t even use an SUV (!) :wink:

Caveat: I know the only way to get a hitch on the Model S (or the roadster for that matter) is through an aftermarket solution… Personally I had really hoped that Tesla would have a factory mounted hitch option for the Model S, since that’s available on all cars sold in Europe…

Last edited:
Also: Note the station wagon. We don’t even use an SUV (!)

Sorry been away for a bit. Other then maybe the Subaru Outback, there is almost no new car or station wagon that have a tow rating in the US over 1,000 lbs. In Europe cars travel slower and most trailers have some type of trailer breaks. What you typically find over here is trailers under 2,000 lbs for the most part dont have trailer breaks unless specially ordered or outfitted after the fact. Also in the state of MN, the state speed limit is 70 mph with or without a trailer which i am guessing is much faster then trailers being towed over the pond by these little cars. The end result of this and due to several factors dealing with product liability, vehicles in the states have much smaller tow ratings then similar European models. And while yes technically the smaller cars could tow these loads safely if driven properly (and had trailer breaks), the fact of the matter is if you get in a car accident you open yourself for major liability concerns if you are over the manufacture's towing/hauling limits.

Yes i drive a 7,200 lbs tow rating pickup truck to tow a 2,500 lbs boat (and other stuff) but i feel safer with the truck due to wheelbase, weight and power. There is nothing worse then towing a load that pushes the tow vehicle around. I once had a 16 foot enclosed trailer (empty but was loaded 10 minutes earlier) come off the ball of a 3/4 truck i was driving at 70mph with the trailer only attached by the safety chains. If i would have been in a smaller vehicle there is no way i would have been able to stay on the road and safely pull over. Sometimes overkill is not a bad thing.