Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has promised that "the Model X will have excellent towing capability." Hopefully that means it will come with a trailer hitch.
If memory serves, Elon tweeted about this a while back then i heard nothing about it. Do we have any additional information about towing with the X?

Why do Europeans want broken trailers ? :confused: :rolleyes:
... I'm an idiot and relying too much on spell check.

I love how there is all this buzz about Tesla building a pickup truck, yet Tesla probably wont even have a napkin drawing for another 4-6 years from now.

Oh surely they already do. What do you think engineers do with lunch time and evenings at the computer? Work on Hyperloop? TM Club already has better than napkin drawings! (You know napkin drawings and final products have little resemblance.)

The X isn't going into production for another year but they had it designed 3 years ago and prototypes almost 2 years ago. Musk says the Tesla pickup is probably 5 years off. I would be shocked if their pickup wasn't already deep into the design phase. Especially since the pickup body lends itself so well to their chassis design. They could just extend the current platform to add more batteries and even add a second layer in the bed area.

Actually I doubt it's even in napkin stage. The engineers/designers don't really have that much free time (they have plenty of work to do on international versions of Model S and the launch of the Model X). The Gen III has been in the news far longer and recently Elon said it's not much more than a couple of drawings at this point.

I hope they wait with making a pickup until after they've made a smaller sedan, the crossover, the next roadster and a van.

Pickups do not sell over here. The segment is probably less than 1% of the total market. If they do decide to make one in the near future, I hope the market for pickups is significantly better in the US.

Really?!?! I would have though they sold a lot of pick up trucks in Norway! I've never been but everything I've heard about Norway has been rugged mountains, cool back country and lots of outdoor activities. I would have thought Norway would have been a pickup truck drivers dream land.

Really?!?! I would have though they sold a lot of pick up trucks in Norway! I've never been but everything I've heard about Norway has been rugged mountains, cool back country and lots of outdoor activities. I would have thought Norway would have been a pickup truck drivers dream land.

And people in Europe think the people in USA are nuts to put their stuff out in the open to get wet or blown or stolen. They don't haul hay to their horses, so no need for pick up trucks.

Its easy to have an over sized casual pickup truck when fuel is only $3.00 per gallon and $105 a year in registration (Thank you Gov Ventura). I would think Norway is a horrible place to have a pickup because of their tax structure. 25% VAT AND they tax registration for CO2, weight, engine displacement (which for a pickup is something like 20k+ a year).

In almost every country, fuel is $6 or more per gallon. When your vehicle starts costing 600 a month in fuel you better need the capability it provides. Casual users that may use their trucks for the home depot runs that are normal in the US just cant afford that expense.

Here's the newest rendering of a Tesla pickup by Theophilus Chin who did the single cab Tesla pickup seen on post #70.
I'd like to see the bed a bit longer, but it looks pretty good.

11322018873_99087c5093_o.jpg

Just FYI, he may be doing an executive limo version of the Model S or Model X for us pretty soon.

Last edited:
Exactly: an El Camino. Except that even they and Rancheros had longer beds than that one shown, unless there's a real foreshortening of that image.

To all truck builders: do not be fooled by thinking you'll get brownie points for frunk space when designing a rig. Rather:

1. Start with a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood. Will it fit in the rear?

A. Yes
1. Congratulations! Now you can design the rest of the rig.

B. No
1. Wrong answer. Go back to #1.

When I said that it looked good, I was referring to the styling more than the utility. That's why I mentioned that it should have a longer bed. It would also be depend on the target audience something like this was meant for. If it's the average $250K per year income home owner who contracts out major work, but needs to haul some bags of fertilizer or some cement walkway steps home from the Home Depot a few times a year, or haul his/her mountain bike around on weekneds (may need a longer bed for this), it's fine. If it's for the guy who runs a landscaping or plumbing business, no. He needs a real truck, which this rendering isn't, and wasn't meant to be.

Besides, as Tesla has proved, you don't need to appeal to everyone. You only need to appeal to enough people who will actually buy it.