Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F-150 accounts for 69% of the sales of F series trucks.

Ford’s Epic Gamble: The inside story - Fortune

First real attempt at aerodynamic truck Cd .403

1997 Ford F-150

1997_F-150_truck.jpg

2014 Dodge Ram Cd .360

2014 Ram 1500 HFE With Stop-Start System Overview - HybridCars.com

2014-dodge_ram_ecodiesel.jpg

And how about a MINI VAN or Smaller Pick up like an S-10 size from GM????? not alot of bizs need all that mass and sheetmetal to do their routes and one could even envision a smaller type Tesla Van based on the mid-60's Econoline size to do deliveries ................are they listening or what?
4188542836_baf3c67053.jpg

And how about a MINI VAN or Smaller Pick up like an S-10 size from GM????? not alot of bizs need all that mass and sheetmetal to do their routes and one could even envision a smaller type Tesla Van based on the mid-60's Econoline size to do deliveries ................are they listening or what?

Tesla is in the business of selling cars that people and specifically Americans actually buy.

They are not trying to force feed and scold Americans or global buyers into buying what they should or need and no more.

Ford F series is the top selling vehicle in America and has been so for over 30 years. about 700k units in the USA plus about 10% more in Canada.

Chevrolet Silverado is the second best selling vehicle in America and usually has been so for the last 30 years. Combined with GMC Sierra version about 600k units in the USA

Dodge Ram pickup is #4. About 400k units.

Turning very efficient ICE subcompacts sales into subcompact BEV sales makes a small net gain.

Turning gas guzzlers into BEVs is a huge net gain.

Elon has already said after Gen 3 variants are rolled out next is a full size pickup.

Take a Model X, remove the backseats and the windows in the back, and you have a mini van. Or make a flatbed...

Ford F series is the top selling vehicle in America and has been so for over 30 years. about 700k units in the USA plus about 10% more in Canada.

Chevrolet Silverado is the second best selling vehicle in America and usually has been so for the last 30 years. Combined with GMC Sierra version about 600k units in the USA

Dodge Ram pickup is #4. About 400k units.

Elon has already said after Gen 3 variants are rolled out next is a full size pickup.

The people I know buy pickups because they can haul stuff (even if only in their head) and they are cheap. Even though these Pickups cost about $25K, they are called cash cows, because not only are they inexpensive, they are cheap.

Just because you can toss something in the bed doesn't mean you're hauling. But since it's big, it looks like you are actually doing something.

I know, there are a few people who actually use these trucks for business. But there are a lot of them out there that are driven by the high school crowd. They get a job a Pizza Hut and drive a pickup. "Look, I'm cool!"

I'm not sure Tesla is aiming at that crowd. I bet they will go for a real pickup that can tow, with enough range to make it to the construction job and the lumber yard and home. They will cost more than the F150. They will not be Tesla's biggest product. They will not be competing with Kia or Hyundai or Toyota.

Sort of like the Porsche Pickup, the BMW pickup, and the Mercedes pickup.

The people I know buy pickups because they can haul stuff (even if only in their head) and they are cheap. Even though these Pickups cost about $25K, they are called cash cows, because not only are they inexpensive, they are cheap.

Sort of like the Porsche Pickup, the BMW pickup, and the Mercedes pickup.

The F-150 starts at $25k but fully loaded is well over $50k.

Porsche does not sell pickups neither do BMW nor Mercedes.

Elon has said he is not bulding a luxury El Camino(akin to the Ford Ranchero) but a real full size pickup.

Of course he will be aiming at the top range of F-150 and GMC Sierra. A fully loaded GMC Denali 1500 is over $65k.

maxresdefault.jpg

The F-150 starts at $25k but fully loaded is well over $50k.

Porsche does not sell pickups neither do BMW nor Mercedes.

Elon has said he is not bulding a luxury El Camino(akin to the Ford Ranchero) but a real full size pickup.

Of course he will be aiming at the top range of F-150 and GMC Sierra. A fully loaded GMC Denali 1500 is over $65k.

In Cobb County ~$50k pickups, without a scratch on them are the norm. Same thing with the Executives/Top Managers at my engineering/install firm.

There is a huge market for high end pickups. The only real question is will you be able to tow your boat to the lake without charging, and still make a $50k pickup?

An EV truck would make a freaky good hunting vehicle. I have been able to drive right up to deer, pigs and elk in the S without them seeming afraid of the vehicle in the slightest.
Roger on that, Lloyd. Somewhere buried deep in this forum is a post of mine on how spectacular the Model S - with its silence and monstrous sunroof - is for birdwatching.

Haven't had the chance to test in on our caribou yet....

The only real question is will you be able to tow your boat to the lake without charging, and still make a $50k pickup?

In 2014? No.

In 2020? Almost certainly. Not only the increased power and energy density at lower cost but the massive room for a battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Like the Model S is a real 5 dr Sports Sedan the Tesla truck will be a real full size pickup.

Not a car/truck hybrid. That has much more limited appeal.

Above are not real full size trucks.

That dog won't hunt so-to-speak.

I figure that Tesla Motors could probably make a full-sized crew cab Model P as an AWD Dually with 350/450 towing capability using a 220 kWh battery pack around 2020 or so. It would likely be of unibody construction, like the Honda Ridgeline and Chevrolet Avalanche. It would have fully independent suspension instead of leaf springs. It would have height adjustable suspension. It would have a gigantic frunk. It would have an unladen range approaching 550 miles, and still manage over 300 miles while towing at 55 MPH. It would be... beautiful.

I figure that Tesla Motors could probably make a full-sized crew cab Model P as an AWD Dually with 350/450 towing capability...

I've been contemplating the current mix of pickup sizes. Now, esp. in the small size, I'm likely out of date, but from a NoAm perspective we have, more or less -

*<really mini sorts>
*"1/4 -ton" sorts like the old Datsuns,
*Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma
*F-150/1500 series (so-called "1/2-ton")
250/2500
350/3500
550...and with these and the 650s and 750s we're getting into the serious haulers; starting to brush up against not only CDL limitations but big-time push-back by insurance companies (in fact, that begins with the 450, based on my experience with USAA)

And atop that, we have single cab, extended cab, crew cab, Dodge's SuperCab varieties, plus short-bed (6 3/4') and long-bed (8 foot), and single-rear vs. duallies.

That is A LOT of variation!

So:
with which mixture of body/chassis/frame should Tesla decide to go? One of the above? Two? More?

<to be continued>

So:
with which mixture of body/chassis/frame should Tesla decide to go? One of the above? Two? More?

Whichever configuration is currently selling the most. Based on what I see on the road in Texas, my guess is extended cab, short bed, probably with Model X style dual motor all wheel drive and a "half ton" cargo capacity. I'd expect Tesla to sell just that one version for at least the first 6 months to a year. If they want to go after the commercial market a regular cab long bed might be next. Those two versions could conceivably be built on the same wheelbase which might simplify manufacturing a bit.

Once you get into the 1 ton and up, there are actually other electric medium duty commercial trucks already on the road.

But remember, the truck comes down the hill again. In an electric, a huge part of the upward loss is regained through regen. In a gas truck the huge amount of pollution and waste exhaust emitted going up the hill is offset by burning up your brakes on the way back down.

When driving on the level, the weight is not the problem, as we see with near 5000 lb Model S. It is aerodynamics. The love affair with the "powerful" looking squared off nose with the huge grill will slowly change when the intelligent truck driver sees that they can go off road, tow, haul, or just drive to work, on a very small percentage of what their good ol' boy neighbors spend. And it doesn't blow coal or make noise. That's the problem I see. It doesn't LOOK tough. Like James Bond. Refined, controlled, powerful, but not a truck driver.

These trucks often imitate big trucks. Those are getting very aero, so I think what you write is very likely.

Last edited:
In an electric, a huge part of the upward loss is regained through regen. In a gas truck the huge amount of pollution and waste exhaust emitted going up the hill is offset by burning up your brakes on the way back down.

the Melbourne Australia tram/trolley system works on a network that shares exactly what your talking about.
A tram going uphill is being powered by the one going downhill.

Whichever configuration is currently selling the most. Based on what I see on the road in Texas, my guess is extended cab, short bed, probably with Model X style dual motor all wheel drive and a "half ton" cargo capacity.

Statistically, crew-cab half-ton 2WDs are the best-sellers. My guess is if Tesla builds one, it will look like a sleeker, tougher Honda Ridgeline (i.e. unibody, integrated bed), and possibly have a mid-gate, similar to the Chevrolet Avalanche. The packaging and concept of the Avalanche was actually very clever, but its execution left something to be desired. I could even see something like the roll-top roof offered on the GMC Envoy XUV.

The engineering resources required to make this work would be substantial. Truck buyers are far less forgiving than car buyers, both in terms of how they treat the vehicle, and what they expect out of it. If range goes from 350 to 100 miles with a 10,000 lb trailer, that will be seen as a failure by most potential buyers.

Although it will need to be compatible with existing conventional trailers, I still think there's merit in the powered "pusher" trailer concept. Maybe a lease/exchange program on an as-needed basis. Basically, the trailers (whether travel, cargo etc) would have powered wheels, and an auxiliary battery pack, which would not only power the wheels of the trailer, but also act as a backup/range-extender to the tow vehicle's motor. I could envision Tesla eventually establishing a separate "Tesla Commercial" sales and service channel for commercial-oriented/work vehicles.

Last edited: