Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Planning to Triple Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As the number of Tesla vehicles on the road continues to swell, the company is giving some serious consideration to its charging network.

On the company’s Q3 earnings call, the company said it plans to triple the size of its charging network around the world.

“We are executing on accelerating expansion plans globally,” said Drew Baglino, Tesla’s senior vice president of powertrain and battery engineering. “The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years. And even so on an individual-site basis to combat existing congestion more quickly where it is isolated and problematic, we expedite local relief sites, deploy mobile Superchargers, and we try to introduce pricing strategies that encourage more off-peak usage to avoid the waiting.”

Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers at 3,254 locations around the world. In addition to serving Tesla vehicles, the company recently announced that the network will also accommodate electric vehicles from other automakers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Supercharger. We have a lot of them. There a 5 Supercharger locations within 20 miles of my house and one more coming, maybe. The one at the outlet mall has 20 stalls, the Target has 10 or 12, Tesla SC has 12, and Home Depot has 10 or 8. In addition to Tesla Superchargers, the Outlet Mall also has Electrify America, which includes a 350 kW unit for Taycans and other super-fast charging EVs.
I think for someone that lives outside of the Bay Area and LA/OC, it would be almost impossible for them to believe how many Teslas there are in those areas. Especially if they only visit once per decade.

Reactions: jboy210
I think that you hit it on the head here. I’ve seen apartment buildings starting to add chargers, but it is fairly rare. You are right, not to get in too deep in this conversation, but someone making $150k/year and can easily afford a model Y or 3 and wants it, won’t be able to buy a $2 million house in a half-decent neighborhood of the Bay Area or LA/SD.
I haven’t read the whole bill, but I actually think that part of the infamous infrastructure bill should include incentives for HOAs/apartment buildings to add chargers to their lots, if it’s not already in there. Could be huge for adoption for people who don’t have a driveway or can’t charge at work.
A townhouse complex by me installed chargers on their streets when they were being built. It was kind of strange because the townhouses already had garages, but I guess it is better to have too many chargers than not enough

Also, someone I know mentioned their apartment complex added chargers to certain parking spots. But, you have to pay extra for those parking spots. A new profit center for the landlords?

Reactions: Ogre
"Tesla planning" means nothing.

Tesla planned on building a sports car to jump start their EV business. It was called the Roadster.
They planned to build out a network of charging stations for their cars so people could road trip with an EV. It’s called a Supercharger.
Tesla planned on a more affordable (relatively) family car to grow the business. It was called the Model S.
They planned an even more affordable car after that (Model 3).
Tesla planned on building factories on every continent where they sell cars. Giga Shanghai, Giga Berlin, Tera Texas…
Etc
etc
etc

Not sure what you are even thinking.

Obviously not everything Tesla tries to do and proposes happens. But much of what they “Plan” absolutely happens. In this case, they already have already built out factories to build the charging stations and are poised to get billions in government aid to do it.

A townhouse complex by me installed chargers on their streets when they were being built. It was kind of strange because the townhouses already had garages, but I guess it is better to have too many chargers than not enough

Also, someone I know mentioned their apartment complex added chargers to certain parking spots. But, you have to pay extra for those parking spots. A new profit center for the landlords?
When I was looking to move about 1.5 year ago, I checked out an apartment building in downtown Oakland that was actually in the process of adding chargers to every single stall of their garage. I didn’t have a Tesla yet at the time, so I didn’t really ask what the specifics were, but if I had to guess, usage would end up being absorbed by a slight increase in parking fee/month (considering not everyone will use them, an increase of just $5 or $10 would more than cover it), since tying it to each unit would seem to be near impossible.
It will probably end up being a cash grab for unscrupulous landlords, and a fair deal with scrupulous ones, like so many things with landlords.
Chargers on street parking spot will probably end up being the future, but I don’t see that happening for a long time…

When I was looking to move about 1.5 year ago, I checked out an apartment building in downtown Oakland that was actually in the process of adding chargers to every single stall of their garage. I didn’t have a Tesla yet at the time, so I didn’t really ask what the specifics were, but if I had to guess, usage would end up being absorbed by a slight increase in parking fee/month (considering not everyone will use them, an increase of just $5 or $10 would more than cover it), since tying it to each unit would seem to be near impossible.
It will probably end up being a cash grab for unscrupulous landlords, and a fair deal with scrupulous ones, like so many things with landlords.
Chargers on street parking spot will probably end up being the future, but I don’t see that happening for a long time…
I own my home so this isn’t an issue, but there is quite a bit of value in having a charger at the space. I think landlords would be crazy not to offer “Upgraded” powered parking for $25-40/ month. That’s a lot of amperage to push otherwise.

I’d be very curious to know how they wired it, even just over 110v at ~12-15 AMPs if you have 20 Teslas in a row, that’s some serious amperage.

From my prospective I agree. In my Almost 3 years and 80K of driving I've only had to wait at Supercharger once to charge.

However I see these lines in California and I wonder if trippling would even relieve that?
And the poster below this suggested "Come see CA". Well, I live here. In my area of California there is no crowding. I charged at the SC yesterday, and it was less than half full. Often it's nearer to a fourth full. And there's another SC station ten miles further south that is likewise half empty or more every time I drive by.

I suppose there are places where people won't or can't charge at home and they need superchargers, but what I've seen at those "lines" here is they don't exist except in a very few places, where if people would charge at home (and I've talked to a few people sitting in cars and waiting in line for a Super Charger) they think the savings of a few pennies for a charge over what they are billed for at home makes it worth it. And then they plug in and wander off, and I know good and well it doesn't take an hour to charge.

People are just selfish.

Reactions: WhiteWi
And the poster below this suggested "Come see CA". Well, I live here. In my area of California there is no crowding. I charged at the SC yesterday, and it was less than half full. Often it's nearer to a fourth full. And there's another SC station ten miles further south that is likewise half empty or more every time I drive by.

I suppose there are places where people won't or can't charge at home and they need superchargers, but what I've seen at those "lines" here is they don't exist except in a very few places, where if people would charge at home (and I've talked to a few people sitting in cars and waiting in line for a Super Charger) they think the savings of a few pennies for a charge over what they are billed for at home makes it worth it. And then they plug in and wander off, and I know good and well it doesn't take an hour to charge.

People are just selfish.
Some of those people waiting in line might be like I was on my previous X. With Free supercharging. I often see more older S and Xs at the Superchargers than Ys and 3s. My guess is a large portion of those cars car have Free Supercharging for life (or at least the original owner's time of ownership).

Last edited:
Who knows if this means actual LOCATIONS or actual SUPERCHARGERS.. that said, while there is some predicted growth in the USA already (and may financial incentives to come that the company can tap into) I doubt that much more than current planned will come Stateside, and the majority of X or Y (locations or Stations) will be OUTSIDE NA, and in China, Europe, South America maybe. While it’s not often a good bet to bet AGAINST Elon over the long run, over the medium term I’ll say I doubt they get 3x the SC’s in 36 months,, I’ll even give’em 40 months.. My $1 is on the table already.
>> Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers (about 30K Superchargers, right?).

>>The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years.

So if they’ve doubled from 15K to 30K SCs in 18 months, does triple mean they will have 45K (3 X 15K) in 2 years?

Or are they planning to triple the number of SCs from today’s 30K to 90K in 2 years?

First option sounds more plausible, the second a massive undertaking.

• Informative
>> Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers (about 30K Superchargers, right?).

>>The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years.

So if they’ve doubled from 15K to 30K SCs in 18 months, does triple mean they will have 45K (3 X 15K) in 2 years?

Or are they planning to triple the number of SCs from today’s 30K to 90K in 2 years?

First option sounds more plausible, the second a massive undertaking.
I’m not suggesting they *will* hit this goal, but the only reasonable way to interpret what they said is that they will triple from here. Consider for a moment.

Adding 15,000 Superchargers over the previous 18 months is a rate of 833/ month.

Adding 15,000 Superchargers over the next 36 months is a rate of 417/ month.
Adding 60,000 Superchargers over the next 36 months is a rate of 1,667/ month.

Given Tesla‘s goal of advancing the Supercharger network faster than car sales, the only way it makes sense is by increasing their deployment rate. I definitely don’t see them taking their foot off the accelerator here.

Last edited:

People are just selfish.

I think it's confusing "what I've seen online" with "what happens every day at a SC."

I'm sure that, say, the Loomis Supercharger on the way to Tahoe on Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving probably gets crowded. And like others, I have seen many pictures of Teslas lined up for hundreds of yards waiting for SC.

That is not the experience at many SC in CA at most times. While expanding the network is critical and 1k vehicles roll out a day, those photos are the exception for most people. Even in CA.

I think it's confusing "what I've seen online" with "what happens every day at a SC."

I'm sure that, say, the Loomis Supercharger on the way to Tahoe on Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving probably gets crowded. And like others, I have seen many pictures of Teslas lined up for hundreds of yards waiting for SC.

That is not the experience at many SC in CA at most times. While expanding the network is critical and 1k vehicles roll out a day, those photos are the exception for most people. Even in CA.
Lines at SC are always about peak use though. Getting buried in a 45 minute line for a charge is seriously going to screw up a great weekend.

Lines at SC are always about peak use though. Getting buried in a 45 minute line for a charge is seriously going to screw up a great weekend.
That is why they are adding 80 more chargers at one location on I-5, Harris Ranch, and have 70+ more from there through Tejon Pass (about 130 miles). This is the major I-5 corridor between the Bay Area and LA. Most of the year there will be plenty of extra capacity, but on Thanksgiving, it will be fully utilized.

Oh wait who has better supercharger network already in place in US? I will wait
Yes they are still ahead in the DC charging network game but their lead is shrinking fast, so they respond with grand plans, like they did with Plaid+ plan when Lucid announced a higher range cars. I suspect this will continue to happen on other areas Tesla loses the lead on - announce a better plan, then cancel it quietly, or just caveat it with "subject to software validation and regulatory approval" like their plans for FSD since 2016, or just keep pushing it out like Cybertruck - Tesla planned an EV pickup truck first, but they will not be the first or even second EV pickup on the market by the time the first CT rolls off the production line. Remember Tesla plans to blanket to build out the battery swap station network, so they could beat gasoline refill time? Plans, damn plans, and Tesla plans....

All that said, it's great they are planning, but I prefer to judge them on accomplishments rather than plans. I learned that from buying Tesla vaporware over the last 8 years.

• Disagree
Yes, nobody wants to wait and especially not wait for long. It just seems some outside of California and seem to think that’s always the situation. Either way, rapidly expanding capacity is going to have to be the norm. So far that’s a promise Tesla has done well with.

Yes they are still ahead in the DC charging network game but their lead is shrinking fast,
… but I prefer to judge them on accomplishments rather than plans.

Tesla added 15,000 charges in the past 18 months. Electrify America (EA) plans on having a total of 3,500 fast DC chargers in their network by the end of the year. So right now they are growing the supercharger network at a rate of 1 EA per quarter.

I don’t quite get how that meshes with the idea that their lead is shrinking.

Tesla added 15,000 charges in the past 18 months. Electrify America (EA) plans on having a total of 3,500 fast DC chargers in their network by the end of the year. So right now they are growing the supercharger network at a rate of 1 EA per quarter.

I don’t quite get how that meshes with the idea that their lead is shrinking.
You are using incorrect numbers. Tesla claims to have 25,000 superchargers (connectors) world-wide today, and this is Tesla, so they might be counting ones in boxes in some warehouse (see prior Tesla claims like driverless FSD is ready and only pending validation and regulation in 2016, or how they compared P85D horsepower, etc). But, for this argument let's assume the 25,000 is correct and counting live Tesla DC chargers around the world.

Second, you cannot use Tesla world wide numbers. EA is USA only, so you cannot compare world-wide chargers to USA chargers only. From wikipedia:
As of March 2020, Tesla operates 16,103 Superchargers in 1,826 stations worldwide;[25] these include 908 stations in the U.S., 98 in Canada, 16 in Mexico, 520 in Europe, and 398 in the Asia/Pacific region.[3] Tesla reports 908 total supercharging stations in the USA today. I couldn't find the number of
So, that's just shy of half the supercharging stations in the USA, so let's assume 12,500 connectors for simplicity. That is not as rosy of a picture as you say when comparing to 3,500 EA connectors. EA deployed their first 3,000 connectors much quicker than it took Tesla to do their first 3,000 connectors, and their connectors are faster (up to 350KW) and don't share power as often as Teslas (all supercharger v2 has shared A/B power), so total charging capacity in KW comparison looks even less rosy. Also notice that EA is also not the only fast charging network in the USA, others are here and expanding too. If you are going to judge Tesla's lead in DC charging, you must include all of the competition, not just the leader. The competition is also interoperable, meaning competition cars can charge on any of their networks, not tied to EA. Competition, especially EA has had a bunch of early deployment issues, most of them stemming from lack of standardization and the fact that they are a consortium so operate like a democracy vs, Tesla dictatorship by Elon, which has a lot of advantages in situations like that. However, the plug-and-charge standard is finally here, and car companies are signing on to use it, meaning it will work like with Tesla superchargers, you plug-in and your account gets billed.

If the government passes their $3.5T infrastructure spending bill, Tesla competition will be expanding even faster, while Tesla will only get a piece of it if they open their superchargers to other manufacturers (I hope the politicians write it properly so Tesla doesn't get that money by opening only one or a handful of superchargers, like they got the grant for deploying battery swap technology and got away with deploying only one and for limited customers only).

My guess is the total number of CCS connectors in the USA will pass number of Tesla supercharger connectors in the next 3-5 years max. But that is just my guess about the future. The facts is Tesla went from having no competition, to ever growing number of competing DC charging connectors, so their lead is absolutely shrinking.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: kayak1 and WhiteWi
I’m not suggesting they *will* hit this goal, but the only reasonable way to interpret what they said is that they will triple from here. Consider for a moment.

Adding 15,000 Superchargers over the previous 18 months is a rate of 833/ month.

Adding 15,000 Superchargers over the next 36 months is a rate of 417/ month.
Adding 60,000 Superchargers over the next 36 months is a rate of 1,667/ month.

Given Tesla‘s goal of advancing the Supercharger network faster than car sales, the only way it makes sense is by increasing their deployment rate. I definitely don’t see them taking their foot off the accelerator here.
I hear you, and as others have pointed out, Elon/Tesla has certainly done impressive big projects in the past.

And not to split hairs, but you should have divided by 24 months, not 36 (2 years, not 3).

I hear you, and as others have pointed out, Elon/Tesla has certainly done impressive big projects in the past.

And not to split hairs, but you should have divided by 24 months, not 36 (2 years, not 3).
The bigger point is I don’t see the rate going down. Definitely tripling in 2 years is a big jump. I just hope they increase coverage along less travelled corridors. I know some folks complain about big lines where they are, but lots of places near here doing an out and back is a major headache.

Reactions: E-curb