Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla postponed my delivery but still took my money: advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a delivery date set for yesterday and had provided my payment info uploaded to Plaid since I'm paying cash. The night before (this last Saturday) they said that the vehicle was still "undergoing final inspection and won't be ready for delivery and we are rescheduling your appointment." I'm basically 6 days out from an appointment. I'm not dying without the money or the car but on principle I don't want someone holding $50k+ for 6 days without paying me a dime of interest. Also, on principle, and perhaps not knowing they would take the money on their schedule and not mine, I don't want them to have that money well in advance without me so much as seeing the car or obviously inspecting it.

At this point I'm sure it's impossible to get to the right person to talk to at Tesla and have the money reversed, being that the sales team never answering the phone has been a bad omen. Even then I'm sure that process probably takes days by which time I'll be up for delivery. I can talk to my bank right now and try to get it reversed as it shows it's pending as of this morning. If that were to succeed I wouldn't want Tesla to flag me as non payment or whatever punitive option they may take and delay my delivery again. If reversed I could just take a certified check when I pick up (which in retrospect I should have done to begin with but the SA sounded like no payment no delivery appointment).

Any opinions on what others would do in my situation?

Nothing new here. My first VIN was supposed to be delivered on 31 Mar. Got a call the day before saying they cannot deliver due to an issue with the car. Finally got a new VIN, but once again delivery has been pushed twice already. Have an appointment tomorrow and have zero confidence they’ll come thru.

Reactions: 1100MCM
Same thing here OP. I ordered an in-inventory MY last month, they gave it to someone else, still deducted all the funds from my bank and I have no idea when I will receive the new one. It has a VIN, but no one, not the main number, nor my SA, nor logistics can tell me where it is and when it should arrive in AZ.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
So I had a delivery date set for yesterday and had provided my payment info uploaded to Plaid since I'm paying cash. The night before (this last Saturday) they said that the vehicle was still "undergoing final inspection and won't be ready for delivery and we are rescheduling your appointment." I'm basically 6 days out from an appointment. I'm not dying without the money or the car but on principle I don't want someone holding $50k+ for 6 days without paying me a dime of interest. Also, on principle, and perhaps not knowing they would take the money on their schedule and not mine, I don't want them to have that money well in advance without me so much as seeing the car or obviously inspecting it.

At this point I'm sure it's impossible to get to the right person to talk to at Tesla and have the money reversed, being that the sales team never answering the phone has been a bad omen. Even then I'm sure that process probably takes days by which time I'll be up for delivery. I can talk to my bank right now and try to get it reversed as it shows it's pending as of this morning. If that were to succeed I wouldn't want Tesla to flag me as non payment or whatever punitive option they may take and delay my delivery again. If reversed I could just take a certified check when I pick up (which in retrospect I should have done to begin with but the SA sounded like no payment no delivery appointment).

That's why I would not do electronic payment. I got the cashier check and Tesla can get the check once I get the car in a satisfactory manner.

Same thing here OP. I ordered an in-inventory MY last month, they gave it to someone else, still deducted all the funds from my bank and I have no idea when I will receive the new one. It has a VIN, but no one, not the main number, nor my SA, nor logistics can tell me where it is and when it should arrive in AZ.

I have a suspicion this is happening to me as well... ordered inventory MY a week ago, hasn't moved from its location and no one at Tesla can tell me why. There doesn't seem to be sufficient safeguards in place (probably by design) to prevent a single VIN from getting overbooked. The logic is they can always just assign you another one and make you wait, and if you don't like it, you can just go ahead and lose your $100.

I receive an email from Tesla every day now asking me to complete payment.
I am NOT paying in advance due to all the problems people are experiencing at delivery, and after.
I will bring a cashier's check with me and give it to them after thoroughly examining the car.
I would just ignore that.

That's what I ended up doing, that was a consistent message on my account until they texted me saying to get ready for delivery and gave me a proper estimate of receiving the car

I did home delivery and even when they dropped it off in front of my house, I DID NOT pay the down payment yet.

It was after 30 mins of looking over the exterior and interior thru the windows I felt safe paying the down payment via the tesla.com website so I can accept delivery and electronically get access into unlocking my car to enter it to inspect the interior.

I receive an email from Tesla every day now asking me to complete payment.
I am NOT paying in advance due to all the problems people are experiencing at delivery, and after.
I will bring a cashier's check with me and give it to them after thoroughly examining the car.
I think it varies by state. I was told in Texas we cannot hand them a check at delivery due to state law. You can do a cashiers check, but it has to be mailed ahead of time.

Reactions: MP3Mike

I’d be interested in hearing what you did in the end. Several of us are in the same boat, including myself. I sent my payment nearly 2 weeks ago after which Tesla delayed and then cancelled my delivery with no notification. Im inclined to ask them to return my money but I have the same questions about whether they’ll shuffle me to the back of the line again or whether they even care if you paid them already or not.

I’d be interested in hearing what you did in the end. Several of us are in the same boat, including myself. I sent my payment nearly 2 weeks ago after which Tesla delayed and then cancelled my delivery with no notification. Im inclined to ask them to return my money but I have the same questions about whether they’ll shuffle me to the back of the line again or whether they even care if you paid them already or not.
This probably won’t be helpful to you but I ended up just waiting the 6 days for the delivery and taking the chance I might not be satisfied with the car. I did initially try to push the sales advisor to help me figure out how to get my money back but it proved to be an exercise in frustration to the point I just gave up after a day or two of trying. The car was ok with smaller issues so the gamble didn’t end up blowing up in my face.

As frustrating as it may be, if it was a few weeks like what you are facing I’d perhaps fight it and try to get the money back temporarily. It’s not an easy situation to be in that’s for sure.

This probably won’t be helpful to you but I ended up just waiting the 6 days for the delivery and taking the chance I might not be satisfied with the car. I did initially try to push the sales advisor to help me figure out how to get my money back but it proved to be an exercise in frustration to the point I just gave up after a day or two of trying. The car was ok with smaller issues so the gamble didn’t end up blowing up in my face.

As frustrating as it may be, if it was a few weeks like what you are facing I’d perhaps fight it and try to get the money back temporarily. It’s not an easy situation to be in that’s for sure.
I appreciate the insight anyway. Thanks.

I’m getting jacked around currently by Tesla Lynnwood. They told me it would be 2-3 WEEKS to give me a refund of my Plaid payment since it had cleared my bank and I couldn’t cancel it from the banks end
Sigh. I got a similar ish message. I think I’m going to pull the trigger though. Im tired of being lied to by Tesla. 2 people in my neighborhood got Teslas this week but they cancelled mine after accepting payment because of weather.