Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quietly Discontinues the 85 kWh Battery Option in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you possibly argue that switching to a power train that lasts 10 times longer wouldn't change things?
Because in a normal ICE, the power train ALREADY lasts longer than the rest of the vehicle. extending that even further makes no difference to how long the car overall lasts.

My last 3 vehicles were all 20 years old when sold, in all 3 cases the engine worked great, in all 3 cases the body and accessories were falling apart. Nobody will spend real money putting a new battery in a car where all the other systems are failing. And that doesn't even touch on the fact that all the technology, every bit of it, will be outdated by a couple of decades.

Agreed. Looking at the fact that tech usually doubles in functionality/speed every 2 yrs, I would think our cars may even be akin to the iPhone 3G in abt 5-7 yrs. The next wave of EV will undoubtedly come cheaper, lighter, faster, sleeker...more user friendly and will make the previous gens obsolete or at least dated. Think 3G/4/5...in car terms. Obviously MS is scalable in tech but to a point. 9 yrs ago Apple came out with their revolutionary disruptive smart phone...I don't believe a single person is using the 1st/2nd gen phones. Eventually MS 2 and Model 3 will overtake and many MS owners may want to upgrade. Infact that's what tech companies model their future revenues off of...continued brand loyalty and mutiple product sales to the same one individual. Enter Audi, Ford and others into the EV mix and we will start to see EV, car sharing, on demand and autonomous all linking together. Can't wait!

Because in a normal ICE, the power train ALREADY lasts longer than the rest of the vehicle. extending that even further makes no difference to how long the car overall lasts.

My last 3 vehicles were all 20 years old when sold, in all 3 cases the engine worked great, in all 3 cases the body and accessories were falling apart. Nobody will spend real money putting a new battery in a car where all the other systems are failing. And that doesn't even touch on the fact that all the technology, every bit of it, will be outdated by a couple of decades.
Interesting. My experiences with my old vehicles and that of my family have been the opposite. Every repair I've ever had to do was powertrain related and furthermore non-applicable to an electric vehicle, except for one vehicle that had developed a leak in the AC compressor.

Can you still make a phone call on an iPhone 3? I still have old flip phones in a drawer somewhere. I turned one on the other day just for fun. Still works as a phone. Doesn't do much else but still fine to call someone. Model S will still be fine in its primary role of transporting someone safely. The rest is just bells and whistles.

I believe Tesla will introduce a 105 or 110 kW pack in March.
i don't understand why some people traded in their 85,s for a 90.
No doubt owners will trade in their 90's for the new pack. Not worth it for most of us though!

I think most of the people who upgraded from an 85 to a 90 were people who wanted to go from a P85 or P85D to a P90D with Ludicrous and had the money. I've noted on the used market there are always P85Ds available, but few 85Ds.

As for introducing a new battery size, it won't be in March. Elon Musk and JB Straubel have both talked about new chemistries and new battery sizes that will be going into production once the Gigafactory is up and running. There are estimates of an increase of about 30% energy density, though Elon also predicted about a 5% increase a year when he unveiled the 90 KWh pack, so there are some conflicting statements.

I don't expect any increase in battery density until the GF is producing batteries for Model S/X. These changes don't happen in a vacuum. The 90 KWh battery was developed for the Model X and I suspect the 70 Kwh was too. The GF is what is driving the next step in battery capacity.

How often do cars get taken off the road because the ENGINE died? it's extremely rare. cars fall apart first. The Tesla will be the same, how long the motor lasts is irrelevant, nobody will want to drive it long before that.

In places where cars are not exposed to salt like the west and warmer climates, the most frequent reason cars go to the junk yard is a major failure like the engine or an accident. I'm driving a Buick that will be 24 years old in a few months. The original starter is beginning to get a little weak, though the car has never failed to start and the manifold at the engine has a small leak, but the body is in excellent condition with the paint getting a little thin in places, but that's it. Inside the upholstery looks almost new with only some minor wear on edges that get a lot of friction.

Around here old cars tend to move down the socio-economic ladder until they quit running. Some people with acreage park them around back and let the blackberries have them, but most get towed to the junk yard when the engine or drive train finally gives out.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Looking at the fact that tech usually doubles in functionality/speed every 2 yrs, I would think our cars may even be akin to the iPhone 3G in abt 5-7 yrs. The next wave of EV will undoubtedly come cheaper, lighter, faster, sleeker...more user friendly and will make the previous gens obsolete or at least dated. Think 3G/4/5...in car terms. Obviously MS is scalable in tech but to a point. 9 yrs ago Apple came out with their revolutionary disruptive smart phone...I don't believe a single person is using the 1st/2nd gen phones. Eventually MS 2 and Model 3 will overtake and many MS owners may want to upgrade. Infact that's what tech companies model their future revenues off of...continued brand loyalty and mutiple product sales to the same one individual. Enter Audi, Ford and others into the EV mix and we will start to see EV, car sharing, on demand and autonomous all linking together. Can't wait!

As JB Straubel pointed out in one of his talks, car tech doesn't follow Moore's Law or anything like it. The electronics possible in a car may follow Moore's Law, but the rest of the tech is not evolving anywhere near that fast, nor are costs dropping at anywhere near the rate, if at all. The mechanical bits in a car aren't evolving much at all and the prices are, if anything, going up. Mechanical systems cost what they cost. Mass production can lower the cost a bit, but there is a floor you hit. This is one reason why phones have fewer buttons than they used to, a touchscreen button is many times cheaper than a mechanical button and the touchscreen version is getting cheaper as electronics evolve.

Battery tech is getting cheaper, but it doesn't follow Moore's Law either. On average, the price of Li-ion batteries drops by about 7% a year and Tesla is aiming to accelerate that curve a bit with the GF.

Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with Moore's Law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

- - - Updated - - -

What's the estimated time for that?

I think the last estimate I saw was from about 6 months ago that was predicting production of car batteries to start about a year from then. Since then I've seen articles that said the GF was ahead of schedule and other things saying they are producing batteries for Powerwalls there now (starting late November, early December last year). They might start producing car batteries as early as April or May at a guess.

I suspect at least initially they will source batteries for the older 70 and 90 packs from Japan and build the batteries for the newer higher capacity packs at the GF. Once production at the GF hits full stride they may discontinue the older pack sizes and maybe offer an 80 KWH pack as the entry level or something like that at roughly the same price. The plan, as I understand it, is that they will still buy some batteries from Japan, but if they source all batteries from the GF between spin up of the GF and the Model 3 introduction, it would allow the plants in Japan to retool for the new battery chemistry and possibly make batteries for stationary systems.

I just Googled on an estimate for battery production start date at the GF. Since the confrontation with the reporters Tesla has been very quiet about the GF. There was an article about start of production for stationary storage systems starting dated late November. In there the article said Tesla has already pre-sold $1 billion stationary storage systems. They are going to need a fair bit of batter capacity to fill all those orders, so Japan might be supplying some of those once they retool.

I'll wait for the 105 or 110 kw battery which will be released shortly.
I think its foolish to buy a 90 now when the bigger battery announcement is only weeks away!

K7G.gif

Do you know something we all don't buddy? I have a final week to upgrade my 85D to a 90D as I havnt taken delivery yet.
Are your comments about an announcement re: 110kw substantiated in any way? If so please share. Thx!

Do you know something we all don't buddy? I have a final week to upgrade my 85D to a 90D as I havnt taken delivery yet.
Are your comments about an announcement re: 110kw substantiated in any way? If so please share. Thx!

He knows nothing and that is complete and total speculation. And if you ask me, extremely poor speculation he/she keeps posting for who-knows-why. Many people in this thread have posted why that is an extremely unlikely outcome. But make your own decisions and act on whatever information you do have.

I am waiting to take delivery as well, Navsarin. Can we upgrade the battery before taking delivery even if the car is in transit? Is it a software upgrade?

No, battery upgrades are not possible after production starts and they are not "software" upgrades.

Unfortunately no. My car was purchased end of November with a 3rd week March delivery. As my 85D didn't go into production yet, I called Tesla today and informed them I was displeased that they didn't inform any awaiting 85D owners that their model was being discontinued and at the least to have offered the choice to upgrade prior to the removal of the 90D upgrade. My sales guy actually said prior to production sure and after production still possible provided it hasn't reached the stage of motor installation yet. More difficult but possible up until that stage. I have literally a day or 2 to decide. Tesla leasing residuals actually increased as part of some special making the payments on a lease cheaper than when I purchased. So with the new updated residual prices and the increase in price on a new 90D config, it isn't much of a payment difference for me to take the 90D. Hope that helps!

I am waiting to take delivery as well, Navsarin. Can we upgrade the battery before taking delivery even if the car is in transit? Is it a software upgrade?

Thank you all for responding so quickly. Turns out my car is literally days away from Production so even now it's tricky to request this sort of change...but not impossible. I'll keep you all informed as to the outcome and what I learn about actual production line changes. - Nav

George this is another example of you back to your stupid posts.
STOP IT!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on on your purchase! What config are you looking at? I assume an 85D?

Yes. That's right. 85D. I had actually asked for March delivery but was surprised to see that the car is in transit. Last time three months after my purchase they introduced D and autopilot. This time around it is 90KW battery. :(

When Elon announced 90KW battery didn't he say that those who have 85KW can swap it for 90KW battery pack and that the battery size will go up by 5% every year.

Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

"New buyers now have the option of upgrading the pack energy from 85 to 90 kWh for $3k, which provides about 6% increased range. For example, this takes our current longest range model, the 85D, to almost 300 miles of highway range at 65mph.Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference."

Last edited:
Yes. That's right. 85D. I had actually asked for March delivery but was surprised to see that the car is in transit. Last time three months after my purchase they introduced D and autopilot. This time around it is 90KW battery. :(

When Elon announced 90KW battery didn't he say that those who have 85KW can swap it for 90KW battery pack and that the battery size will go up by 5% every year.

Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

"New buyers now have the option of upgrading the pack energy from 85 to 90 kWh for $3k, which provides about 6% increased range. For example, this takes our current longest range model, the 85D, to almost 300 miles of highway range at 65mph.Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference."

What this quote doesn't mention but is quite important is that the price of the upgrade 'after the fact',
i.e. for existing 85kwh battery owner to go to 90 kwh, would NOT be cost effective!
Numbers have been mentioned to be around 20K$...not really a good deal for 6% increased capacity.

So albeith battery swaps are possible, the last statement of the quote really highlights the true recommandations,
i.e. waiting for a much larger capacity difference is needed to make 'economical sense' for a battery upgrade.

What this quote doesn't mention but is quite important is that the price of the upgrade 'after the fact',
i.e. for existing 85kwh battery owner to go to 90 kwh, would NOT be cost effective!
Numbers have been mentioned to be around 20K$...not really a good deal for 6% increased capacity.

So albeith battery swaps are possible, the last statement of the quote really highlights the true recommandations,
i.e. waiting for a much larger capacity difference is needed to make 'economical sense' for a battery upgrade.
If I recall correctly Elon Musk himself said the after-market battery upgrade wasn't worth it, and people would be better off just waiting for a higher battery capacity before upgrading.