Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Quits Service on Roadsters!!

MT3B

May 10, 2017
USA
Took the Roadster to the Raleigh NC Tesla Service Center and they said they won't service it anymore. Closest place for service is Marietta, GA! Thats a 6 hour drive. So they basically just orphaned all current Roadsters. This is horrible news. Will they also do this for Model S over a certain age? What a way to support those who supported the company over the years. We are so very disappointed!!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

einhalv

Aug 2, 2019
Horten, Norway
This is a symptom that Tesla has problems sustaining roadster competence within their organization. We see it in my country too, with only one location servicing roadsters here in the southeastern part. Luckily for me, it is only a one hour drive away from my place. Six hours would be frustrating, that's for sure. Concentrating the roadster competence at certain sites is probably an economically feasible way of sustaining the technical quality of the service. So far, that seems to work, but it is a cause for worry about the future, of course.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
The Marietta, GA Service Center does not work on Roadsters now either, but the Roswell, GA Service Center I am told does have 2 Roadster techs. I have an appointment for March 23rd there.

Reactions: tmyl21

hanknum

Dec 7, 2018
Santa Barbara
Lucky for me, I just had my Roadster serviced 1.5 miles away at my SC here in Santa Barbara. I don't know what the future holds, but the amount that I drive it... I should be good for a couple years.

uujjj2

Aug 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Ouch.

That Raleigh NC service center's management probably thought there weren't any Roadsters left in its service area. Or maybe the one tech familiar with the Roadster got a new job.

I think part of the problem is very few people inside Tesla are familiar with the Roadster. When the Roadster was being made, Tesla had just a few hundred employees, including the service techs. Now it has over 70000. Tesla employees who were around for the Roadster are needles in a haystack in this now giant company. With maybe only a couple hundred qualified people worldwide (most of them in California), the sheer odds that one of them is close to where you live gets pretty low.

Model S owners have much less to worry about. There were only ~2500 Roadsters ever built, versus some ~300k Model S. A much larger customer base justifies training more techs.

Reactions: X Fan

MikeInFL

May 10, 2014
Florida
Roadsters were/are a pain to work on. Byrone at Electrified Garage (OG Tesla employee) and John Lopez in Tampa are two techs that do killer work on Roadsters.

Rotarypower

May 3, 2016
Cary, NC
Took the Roadster to the Raleigh NC Tesla Service Center and they said they won't service it anymore. Closest place for service is Marietta, GA! Thats a 6 hour drive. So they basically just orphaned all current Roadsters. This is horrible news. Will they also do this for Model S over a certain age? What a way to support those who supported the company over the years. We are so very disappointed!!
Well that just sucks. Very concerning. They know of my roadster. I’m in Cary and at some point will need service. They have never touched my car but I’ve had it there to deal with drop off of our Model3, etc. They were always positive about the car and indicated they would have no issues with servicing it in the future. Had the ranger come and do the free fix on the Model3 pin for the charging door and also added the Dual Motor badge. He seemed to know a lot about the roadster and indicated they service several in the Raleigh area. Taking a roadster to Georgia for service isn’t acceptable. Love the car but must say extremely disappointed in Tesla. 🤬

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC