Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranked last in new car reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to have an agenda.

But anyway one thought is advertising...or lack of same by Tesla.

If you click on Tesla in the ranking on the link you provided you get this gem

Tesla has been making headlines in the car industry for a few years now, shaking up the established order with its bold claims and striking range of electric vehicles.

There's only one car in the Tesla line-up, in fact - a five-seat saloon called Model S that can be expanded to a seven-seater with a pair of rear-facing child-friendly seats in the boot.

So maybe this is not the most reliable rating mag?

I've never heard of "whatcar".
You seem to have an agenda.

But anyway one thought is advertising...or lack of same by Tesla.

If you click on Tesla in the ranking on the link you provided you get this gem

Tesla has been making headlines in the car industry for a few years now, shaking up the established order with its bold claims and striking range of electric vehicles.

There's only one car in the Tesla line-up, in fact - a five-seat saloon called Model S that can be expanded to a seven-seater with a pair of rear-facing child-friendly seats in the boot.

So maybe this is not the most reliable rating mag?
You got me looking a bit more.... Anyways, looks like anyone could just submit data to this. Not sure if that's how all surveys are produced in this arena? Anyways, I don't want to speculate; however, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the data was submitted by EV haters.
upload_2018-9-8_18-42-8.png

Second, this was for the UK.
upload_2018-9-8_18-43-46.png

Third, found this with a little digging.
upload_2018-9-8_18-46-51.png

Lastly, when looking up Claire Evans, she is part of the some writing guild -- which looks to be sponsored mostly by auto manufacturers. guessing Tesla doesn't pay them any money. Sorta looks like a bit of a conflict of interest. Looks like they also have a fancy dinner each year with awards that looks sponsored by the automakers.
upload_2018-9-8_18-55-47.png
upload_2018-9-8_18-58-33.png
upload_2018-9-8_18-58-52.png

There are some flaws in this:
1. There is question of bias as brought out above
2. The people may be self selecting and self reporting so the reporting people may not represent a proper cross section of all owners. People with problems are more likely to report than those without. They “requested information from over 18,000 people”. They don't say how this was requested, nor the response rate within that group. Was this just a magazine ad to their suscribers, their readers, or was it a mailed questionairre? Did they screen for duplicate responses? Were responses limited to one vehicle problem per survey?
3. As far as I can tell, there is no reporting of total number of respondents for each model. Since the smallest reported increment for Tesla seems to be in 4% and this number is repeated several times, I suspect the number of people responding is 25. That would imply that any report of 4% would be a problem with a single car. At any rate we cannot statistically estimate the standard deviations to actually calculate defect rates. They don't offer any statistical analysis at all.
4. Problems are lumped into broad classifications. If one adds up the reported percentages, they total nearly 100%, so reports seemingly reflect only one problem per positive respondent. If multiple problems were reported for each car, the total should be greater than 100. There is something fishy here.
5. They claim results are for cars up to 4 years old. Then they report that repairs cost up to £1,500. The Tesla warranty is 4 years so the repairs should be free. Where does this £1,500 figure originate? Are they including older cars despite their claim? Are they including user caused damage that isn't covered by warranty? Something isn't right.

This isn't scientific reporting. I suspect their methods. I really doubt their data is valid.

Let’s take just one issue—drive train. As with any cr, the gears wear. There are two possible approaches:

1. Adjust the slack locally.

2. Send the entire unit back to the factory for refurbishment.

The first approach requires trained personnel in each service location. Results vary by how rushed they are and how often a particular technician performs the task.

The second approach requires that the local personnel only need to know how to re&re. In addition, the quality of the refurbishment should be more consistent.

The issue with the second approach is that it sounds as if it were a big problem, when it’s really just another approach to service. Surveys ignore this difference and give it the same weight as a drive train replacement in an ICE car, where the car is out of service for weeks.

Reactions: Falkirk