Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ranks 2nd worst in Consumer reports reliability survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree with Elon. THe problem is, people have a lower tolerance for mistakes with systems than they do with individuals. If a human-run system makes a mistake 1% of the time we call that good. If an automated system makes a mistake 0.01% of the time people get all up in arms. Elon has actually commented on this himself.

If 1% of the driving decisions people made were serious errors, the automobile death toll in the U.S. would not be 30,000, it would be 30,000,000. A 1% error rate in driving would be utterly unacceptable.

Any CR subscribers care to comment?

I am a Tesla owner, a TSLA shareholder, and a CR subscriber.

I am more satisfied with my Tesla Model 3 than I've ever been with any other car I've owned. And this is even though it's less reliable than either my old Honda Civic or my Toyota Prius were. That's because my satisfaction is not based on reliability alone. It's comfort, it's the driving experience, it's the fact that it uses no gasoline and since I got solar it runs on the sun from my solar panels, it's EAP, it's reliability, because today, even the least reliable car is pretty reliable, and most of all it's safety, because Teslas are the safest cars on the road.

And with so many factors that go into customer satisfaction, the best car is not necessarily the most reliable. Hopefully, the bad press will motivate Tesla to improve quality control.

CR is unbiased. They call it like they see it. They take no advertising money from anybody and they don't get money from any of the industries whose products they test and report on.

Teslas are the best cars on the road, but not the most reliable. They have such a high customer satisfaction rating because they are the best, even though they are not the most reliable.

My third most favorite car I've owned was the least reliable! That was my Zap Xebra. I loved that car. It was a total piece of sh!t but I loved it. Reliability and even design and build quality are not the be-all and end-all of car owner satisfaction.

I guess you consider the Speech about Marry Barra Converting the whole world to electrification come Real News? Of course you can’t understand what we say here since you are confounding facts from fake news.
I haven't heard or read about Marry Barra's speech (and don't even know who she is.) From your post I take it she made a speech and you think she's full of it. Well, yes, that would be real news. you may not agree with what she said and she may in fact be an idiot, but that doesn't make it fake news.

I was actually responding to your implication that the Consumer Reports report was 'fake news.'
Go back to your MachE forums
Is that because the JD Power report is fake news? Or simply because @stcptl had the gall to say that Tesla isn't the best in the world at everything?

If you want to disagree, that's fine, but back your view up with something besides a trite and banal "fake news" dismissal. If you can't then you're little more than a pro-tesla troll.

If 1% of the driving decisions people made were serious errors, the automobile death toll in the U.S. would not be 30,000, it would be 30,000,000. A 1% error rate in driving would be utterly unacceptable.
The numbers were meant as a relative example, not an actual accurate calculation.

Also, to clarify my previous post, I meant to say "I completely agree with what you said about Elon." (My feelings about Elon are mixed: he's said and done some unconscionable things, but he also made EVs main stream. He's a self-promoter and a liar, but he's responsible for a lot of progress. So I neither worship nor hate him.)
I am a Tesla owner, a TSLA shareholder, and a CR subscriber.

I am more satisfied with my Tesla Model 3 than I've ever been with any other car I've owned. And this is even though it's less reliable than either my old Honda Civic or my Toyota Prius were. That's because my satisfaction is not based on reliability alone. It's comfort, it's the driving experience, it's the fact that it uses no gasoline and since I got solar it runs on the sun from my solar panels, it's EAP, it's reliability, because today, even the least reliable car is pretty reliable, and most of all it's safety, because Teslas are the safest cars on the road.

And with so many factors that go into customer satisfaction, the best car is not necessarily the most reliable. Hopefully, the bad press will motivate Tesla to improve quality control.

CR is unbiased. They call it like they see it. They take no advertising money from anybody and they don't get money from any of the industries whose products they test and report on.

Teslas are the best cars on the road, but not the most reliable. They have such a high customer satisfaction rating because they are the best, even though they are not the most reliable.

My third most favorite car I've owned was the least reliable! That was my Zap Xebra. I loved that car. It was a total piece of sh!t but I loved it. Reliability and even design and build quality are not the be-all and end-all of car owner satisfaction.
Very well said! My parents have a Prius. It was more reliable than my Audi A4 but I'd take my Audi a hundred times over their Prius!

Reactions: daniel
I haven't heard or read about Marry Barra's speech (and don't even know who she is.) From your post I take it she made a speech and you think she's full of it. Well, yes, that would be real news. you may not agree with what she said and she may in fact be an idiot, but that doesn't make it fake news.

I was actually responding to your implication that the Consumer Reports report was 'fake news.'

Is that because the JD Power report is fake news? Or simply because @stcptl had the gall to say that Tesla isn't the best in the world at everything?

If you want to disagree, that's fine, but back your view up with something besides a trite and banal "fake news" dismissal. If you can't then you're little more than a pro-tesla troll.
Marry Barra made no speech

We have a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor and a 2019 Model S. Both a garaged at night, have a Tesla wall charger, and a 11.3kw solar system with a Powerwall. Both cars have about 13,500 miles on them. Both bought new, delivered in Santa Barbara. Neither car has needed any repairs or service since we took delivery. I like to tinker so I added lots of sound dampening to Model 3. Car is noticeably quiet now. Model S suffered from high-speed wind noise from front windows. I fixed problem myself with a little weather stripping, weather strip adhesive glue and a little patience. I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for 50+ years. I take their comments and recommendations with a very skeptical attitude. Often their ratings make no logical sense. For example, try washing machines. Same exact product made by Whirlpool and marketed under several different names. Huge differences in CU ratings but the products are the same. When I write to them for an explanation, they don't reply. I've learned that I must not take CU's advice too seriously. They have displayed an "attitude" towards Tesla for a long time. I just ignore CU now.

Here's another reason why CR and JD Power are basically useless to me.

For those that may not know: JD Power conducts their surveys on 3-year-old models.

The ones in red are where JD Power and CR both agree in their top 10 ranking. They agree on 5 brands and disagree on 10, both for 2018 and 2021.
Also, JD Power ranks Audi, Honda, Subaru, and Chrystler below average. And Subaru, Honda and Chrystler are all in CR's top 10 for 2021 and
Honda, Subaru, and Audi were in their top 10 for 2018

So, if I decide to look at Subaru, JD Power says they're below average and CR above. Sure, one can probably guess that Toyota, Lexus, Kia, Buick and Hyundai are safe bets, but given how off these ratings are otherwise I'd hesitate to put any trust in their conclusions. With that said, I think most would agree that Toyota / Lexus are almost always in the top 10.

JD Power 2021 (2018 models):
Lexus
Porsche
Kia
Toyota
Buick
Cadillac
Hyundai
Genesis
Lincoln
Acura

CR 2018:
Toyota
Lexus
kia

Audi
BMW
Subaru
Infiniti
Buick
Honda
Hyundai

CR 2021:
Mazda
BMW
Subaru
Porsche
Honda
Lexus
Toyota

Chrysler
Buick
Hyundai

Last edited:
Reactions: 30seconds

Thread 'Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Political chitchat' Roundtable'
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Political chitchat' Roundtable

Here you can now believe everything you watch

I agree fully with dfwatt's comments. CR focuses on the minutia, not the basics of reliability, when describing Tesla.
I wrote CR to criticize their flawed procedure after they conducted a test following the widely reported incident this year when a car ran into a tree (at 90 mph and occupants were killed). Recent NTSB report totally exonerated Tesla (car was going 90mph, driver was unbuckled). But, CR never reported that.
Being a CR subscriber, I am occasionally asked for feedback on products I own, and going forward I will only be saying my model 3 is 'perfect'. I suggest anyone else who is surveyed by CR do the same.

We have a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor and a 2019 Model S. Both a garaged at night, have a Tesla wall charger, and a 11.3kw solar system with a Powerwall. Both cars have about 13,500 miles on them. Both bought new, delivered in Santa Barbara. Neither car has needed any repairs or service since we took delivery. I like to tinker so I added lots of sound dampening to Model 3. Car is noticeably quiet now. Model S suffered from high-speed wind noise from front windows. I fixed problem myself with a little weather stripping, weather strip adhesive glue and a little patience. I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for 50+ years. I take their comments and recommendations with a very skeptical attitude. Often their ratings make no logical sense. For example, try washing machines. Same exact product made by Whirlpool and marketed under several different names. Huge differences in CU ratings but the products are the same. When I write to them for an explanation, they don't reply. I've learned that I must not take CU's advice too seriously. They have displayed an "attitude" towards Tesla for a long time. I just ignore CU now.
Totally agree with you

Capture.PNG

So Model 3 is on the CR recommended list.

I'm sure you will come up with further excuses why you think CR has a bias against Tesla.
Be sure to downvote this post because I provide actual data.

Do either CR or JD power release how they conduct their surveys? Sample sizes, questions asked, statistics about the data responses?

Is reliability a car breaking down or needing some minor service? Is there a difference if it requires you to take it to the dealer right away or you can operate the car just fine until you have time?

What about if you want to keep the car for 10 years?

I’ve never seen any of this from either.

Reactions: DrGriz
Do either CR or JD power release how they conduct their surveys? Sample sizes, questions asked, statistics about the data responses?

Is reliability a car breaking down or needing some minor service? Is there a difference if it requires you to take it to the dealer right away or you can operate the car just fine until you have time?

The better question is how much they are paid for their branding badges. If you read up on the history of JD Powers, it was a mom and pop operation until automakers realized that ppl are swayed by this *sugar* and started to pay for their branding.

Reactions: john5520

The best I found from J.D. Power was on this page: Ratings Methodology | How J.D. Power Ratings Work | J.D. Power. They state that they survey ‘verified’ owners, but don’t give any information on how they select them, how many people they survey, etc. It’s also important to note that J.D. Power has 2 different surveys, an Initial Reliability survey and a longer term, 3 year one. I haven’t seen anything describing J.D. Power’s funding; from what I’ve read, they sell their reports to companies but I don’t know if they receive any other funding. Selling reports is fine, but receiving direct funding from the companies you are evaluating raises questions about bias and impartiality.

Consumer reports is very clear that they do not accept funding from outside sources; their funding comes from members. They base their auto data on responses from member surveys. More info on their methodology can be found on these two pages:

It’s important to note that ’reliability‘ means different things at different points in a car’s lifespan. There’s a well known model described as the bathtub curve describing failures. Also, there are different types of problems. Minor mechanical defects such as misaligned panels, etc will show up early but not late. Beyond a few years out, failure is more likely due to component design and quality. Early surveys and even 3 year surveys will not give much useful information on this. This also means that early surveys may have little to no relevance on how a car will age over time. Car Makers like to tout the J.D. Power Initial Quality survey. A high rating looks good but this is more an indicator of manufacturing quality control and and the quality checks that occur prior to delivery than of actual build quality. There have been plenty of cars that scored highly on this survey that were notorious for long term problems.

The other thing to note is that there are (or at least should be) very few problems in the first years of owning a car. This means that it takes relatively few problems to sink a car to the bottom of the list. Later on, a reliable 5 year old car will still have more problems than a new car. Consumer Reports tries to take this into account in their ratings. How they do so has changed in the past and I haven’t looked recently to see exactly how they are doing it now.

Tesla’s manufacturing issues have been well known and reported so it’s really no surprise that they performed poorly on the initial quality survey. They’ve also had to deal with extremely rapid growth (and do it in a pandemic with supply shortages,) something that would be difficult for any company. We’ll see how their long term reliability stacks up - I’m hopeful that their design is sound, even if they have issues with initial quality control. (I bet $55k on it!)

For long term reliability, Consumer Reports is probably about the best. One needs to realize that this is intrinsically trying to predict the future of a moving target. For cars like the Model Y, all you can do is go off of Tesla’s past history with other cars which may or may not apply to the Y. Even for an established model, changes to the design and manufacturing process mean that the results for past years may not apply to the current model.

CR accepts donations and grants. The Ford Foundation is one of their 'Philanthropic Partners', lol.

I'd go out on a limb and say the anecdotal evidence presented in the major forums are more useful than these publications. Like I showed above, they send out these surveys and reach different conclusions more often than not. And either they're oblivious to known issues, or they're purposely hiding them from their readers.

Last edited:

CR accepts donations and grants. The Ford Foundation is one of their 'Philanthropic Partners', lol.

I'd go out on a limb and say the anecdotal evidence presented in the major forums are more useful than these publications. Like I showed above, they send out these surveys and reach different conclusions more often than not. And either they're oblivious to known issues, or they're purposely hiding them from their readers.
Please do at least 30 seconds worth of research before posting things. The Ford Foundation is completely separate and independent from Ford Motor company. From their web site:
The Ford Foundation is not connected to the Ford Motor Company. The Ford Foundation and Ford Motor Company are two separate and legally unrelated entities whose operations are completely independent and have been for more than 50 years. There is not any financial authority, decision making nor funding relationship between the two organizations.

Over the next decade, J.D. Power became an industry name, but a mention during a well-timed 1984 ad made the market research firm a household name. During Super Bowl 18, Subaru aired the first commercial to boast its J.D. Power rankings. Since then, J.D. Power has been mentioned in more than 350,000 television ads and 2 billion print ads, according to its website.

The cost of a 30-second commercial at Super Bowl 18 was $368,200. The beauty of J.D. Power’s Super Bowl debut is that the firm likely didn’t pay directly for a cent of the ad — if anything, it probably got paid. At the time, J.D. Power charged companies like Subaru $350 to mention its study for 10 months. Power saw the bigger benefit as publicity, rather than money, but soon the firm upped that number. (Today J.D. Power does not disclose how much an automaker pays to include the company’s findings.)

Power sold the company to McGraw Hill Financial (now S&P Global) in 2005 for $400 million, after which it dropped “Associates” from its title, and in 2016 it was acquired by XIO Group for $1.1 billion. “But there are still lots of people at J.D. Power who were here when Dave was here,” Effler says.

Reactions: sleepydoc