TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla really sandbagging performance of AWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Swampgator, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

In order to increase sales of the performance model, it seems Tesla is really underselling the AWD performance numbers.

LR RWD car has 335 whp, weighs 3838 pounds, and does 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds.
    If the AWD induction motor adds 150 pounds and has at least 130 whp, we are looking at a 4 second flat car. They may use software to limit that speed, but they will surely unlock that once they are cash flow positive later this year. Then they will simply proceed to crush the competition. The AWD is a looking to be a really impressive car in it's own right.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm still hoping they are sandbagging the numbers on the performance model.

• Like x 7
  3. DanCar

DanCar Member

Yes, this follows Tesla's usual mode of operation of improving performance with OTA updates. Perhaps a major reason that Tesla has high customer satisfaction. Set low expectations and then exceed them.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Hope they’re sandbagging and releasing the potential on the LR model too lol

• Like x 2
  5. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Its a good strategy and allows Tesla to "one up" the competitors later on or increase demand/orders if needed.

Lots of companies do similar (though with no possibility of future uncorking). E.g. Honda uses the same engines across their entire lineup with different optimizations for performance vs efficiency.

6. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Tesla may or may not uncork both of these at later times but they certainly won't ever let the AWD car approach the performance of the P model. If the original delta in 0-60 times is 1 second flat then I would anticipate that will remain the case after any future improvements.

• Like x 4
  7. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I agree. The P model likely is capable of 3 seconds flat. Doubt they will go any lower but you never know once they do some refreshing on the Model S.

• Like x 1
  8. R.S

R.S Active Member

The AWD and the performance car have the same motor and inverter as far as I know at least. Sure the performance versions get the ones with the lowest winding resistance, but I don't think Tesla has massive tolerances here to play with.

So the AWD is a 3.5s car, that has been limited to less. There might be more differences, maybe they aren't totally the same. So the performance of the AWD is whatever Tesla needs it to be. And I don't think that in truth it will be 3.5 vs 4s. Because people will notice.

9. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Keep in mind, that the motor power output is only part of the equation. The peak battery output, the current limit of the high voltage wiring and fuses, and the heat dissipation of the cooling system all become potential limiting factors once you've added a second motor. It remains to be seen if Tesla will roll the same internals off the line in the LR_D as they do in the P_LR_D.

There's little doubt the software limits will be well below what the hardware in either trim is capable of.

• Like x 1
  10. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I wonder if they'll eventually put a smaller rear motor in the AWD to save money. The S and X have smaller rear motors on the AWD versions (Though they no longer make the RWD versions).

• Like x 2
  11. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

I just spit out my coffee

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

Actually it's capable of 2.8 fully unlocked.

• Funny x 3
  13. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

How do figure?

14. kengchang

kengchang Member

Gonna end up like the HUD

• Like x 2
  15. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

• Informative x 1
  16. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

Don't want to get into to many details, but I chatted with someone who is well versed with the car. Fully unlocked, the car can do 2.8 0-60 but it won't necessarily be good for the drivetrain. However, seeing the final consumer version do 2.8 is highly unlikely. The main point is that there's plenty of potential with the new dual motor setup. Whether they chose to fully utilize to the max potential is a different question.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Don't we already know the power rating of the induction motor going in the front? Is it the same as the S?

• Love x 1
  18. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I wish we did but there has been no information leaked. I think it will be smaller than the Model S front motor. And much lighter.

19. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

A completely new motor sounds like a lot of work. I was making the assumption that it was going to be the existing Model S front motor, it being induction and all.

20. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I’m not sure what it can ultimately do, but agree pushing it will likely case other drivetrain issues. There is always a weak link and that doesn’t mean Tesla is “holding back”. Many ICE (gas & diesel) cars on the market can be reprogrammed to go faster. Some self destruct.