Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really sandbagging performance of AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
In order to increase sales of the performance model, it seems Tesla is really underselling the AWD performance numbers.

LR RWD car has 335 whp, weighs 3838 pounds, and does 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds.
If the AWD induction motor adds 150 pounds and has at least 130 whp, we are looking at a 4 second flat car. They may use software to limit that speed, but they will surely unlock that once they are cash flow positive later this year. Then they will simply proceed to crush the competition. The AWD is a looking to be a really impressive car in it's own right.

Its a good strategy and allows Tesla to "one up" the competitors later on or increase demand/orders if needed.

Lots of companies do similar (though with no possibility of future uncorking). E.g. Honda uses the same engines across their entire lineup with different optimizations for performance vs efficiency.

In order to increase sales of the performance model, it seems Tesla is really underselling the AWD performance numbers.

If the AWD induction motor adds 150 pounds and has at least 130 whp, we are looking at a 4 second flat car. They may use software to limit that speed, but they will surely unlock that once they are cash flow positive later this year. Then they will simply proceed to crush the competition. The AWD is a looking to be a really impressive car in it's own right.

Tesla may or may not uncork both of these at later times but they certainly won't ever let the AWD car approach the performance of the P model. If the original delta in 0-60 times is 1 second flat then I would anticipate that will remain the case after any future improvements.

The AWD and the performance car have the same motor and inverter as far as I know at least. Sure the performance versions get the ones with the lowest winding resistance, but I don't think Tesla has massive tolerances here to play with.

So the AWD is a 3.5s car, that has been limited to less. There might be more differences, maybe they aren't totally the same. So the performance of the AWD is whatever Tesla needs it to be. And I don't think that in truth it will be 3.5 vs 4s. Because people will notice.

Keep in mind, that the motor power output is only part of the equation. The peak battery output, the current limit of the high voltage wiring and fuses, and the heat dissipation of the cooling system all become potential limiting factors once you've added a second motor. It remains to be seen if Tesla will roll the same internals off the line in the LR_D as they do in the P_LR_D.

There's little doubt the software limits will be well below what the hardware in either trim is capable of.

Reactions: electracity
How do figure?

Don't want to get into to many details, but I chatted with someone who is well versed with the car. Fully unlocked, the car can do 2.8 0-60 but it won't necessarily be good for the drivetrain. However, seeing the final consumer version do 2.8 is highly unlikely. The main point is that there's plenty of potential with the new dual motor setup. Whether they chose to fully utilize to the max potential is a different question.

Don't we already know the power rating of the induction motor going in the front? Is it the same as the S?

• Love
Reactions: AUSinator
Don't want to get into to many details, but I chatted with someone who is well versed with the car. Fully unlocked, the car can do 2.8 0-60 but it won't necessarily be good for the drivetrain. However, seeing the final consumer version do 2.8 is highly unlikely. The main point is that there's plenty of potential with the new dual motor setup. Whether they chose to fully utilize to the max potential is a different question.
I’m not sure what it can ultimately do, but agree pushing it will likely case other drivetrain issues. There is always a weak link and that doesn’t mean Tesla is “holding back”. Many ICE (gas & diesel) cars on the market can be reprogrammed to go faster. Some self destruct.