Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:

The reasons the headline is garbage (and not even what the "data" showed) have been discussed a fair bit already elsewhere, possibly you missed it though.

Some high level bits:

The study contains 0 accident data- just a couple of self-reported bits of info the headline conflates.
The study is of "people applying for car insurance at lendingtree" which is starting with a poor-risk group.
The study only correlates "they had AN accident (in any vehicle they owned) in the last several years AND they -currently- own a Tesla"
The study rates by "accidents per 1000 drivers" instead of "accidents per X miles" like literally everyone else in the industry
The studys "lowest accident rate" vehicles as a result are...3 brands that haven't made cars in nearly 15 years (Pontiac, Mercury, and Saturn)

The reasons the headline is garbage (and not even what the "data" showed) have been discussed a fair bit already elsewhere, possibly you missed it though.

Some high level bits:

The study contains 0 accident data- just a couple of self-reported bits of info the headline conflates.
The study is of "people applying for car insurance at lendingtree" which is starting with a poor-risk group.
The study only correlates "they had AN accident (in any vehicle they owned) in the last several years AND they -currently- own a Tesla"
The study rates by "accidents per 1000 drivers" instead of "accidents per X miles" like literally everyone else in the industry
The studys "lowest accident rate" vehicles as a result are...3 brands that haven't made cars in nearly 15 years (Pontiac, Mercury, and Saturn)
Funny how Elon rants about disinformation in the media while X constantly pushes this kind of trash out.

So. Been hearing all you guys state that the "Recall" is dangerous, brings up horrors, and all that stuff.

Thursday and Friday, ran with 2023.44.30.7 from New Jersey to Brighton (i.e., Boston) and back. That's like, roughly, 500 miles, all on FSD-b 11.4.9.

According to the comments in here, the car, the SO, and I should have been flattened by any number of larger vehicles than the 2023 M3 AWD LR we were driving.

What I'm a-telling you guys: That was 500 miles of 98% FSD-b with little to no problems. There was one spot where, going from I-287 in NJ to I-95 (the New Jersey Turnpike) where, after the toll booths, FSD-b happened to pick the truck/car lanes split rather than the car-only lanes.. but that was it for odd stuff and the only real intervention.
Good report!

Many here want a hands free, attention free auto pilot and that isn’t going to happen.

WOW, another software update. Version 2023.44.30.8 is available.
Just installed 2023.44.30.8 on my 2022 MSLR. Release notes said minor bug fixes. This update fixed two bugs I've been dealing with for many many updates. Each update for several updates has disabled the dash cam USB stick in the glove box and turned on the radio when door is opened. Routinely I had to pull out the USB stick for about 30 seconds to enable dash cam. I also had to turn the radio off the first time opening the door after an update. Both are now fixed. The radio was not on and the dash cam was already enabled.

Just installed 2023.44.30.8 on my 2022 MSLR. Release notes said minor bug fixes. This update fixed two bugs I've been dealing with for many many updates. Each update for several updates has disabled the dash cam USB stick in the glove box and turned on the radio when door is opened. Routinely I had to pull out the USB stick for about 30 seconds to enable dash cam. I also had to turn the radio off the first time opening the door after an update. Both are now fixed. The radio was not on and the dash cam was already enabled.
You mean the radio isn't supposed to go on when the door is opened?

You mean the radio isn't supposed to go on when the door is opened?
It depends on the status of the radio when exiting the car. The radio turns off when exiting the car and closing the door. Then goes back to the status it was in before when reentering. I always turned the radio off when exiting. So it remained off when opening the door and reentering the car. However, after past updates the radio was always on the very first time opening the door after the update no matter what the state was the last time.

It depends on the status of the radio when exiting the car. The radio turns off when exiting the car and closing the door. Then goes back to the status it was in before when reentering. I always turned the radio off when exiting. So it remained off when opening the door and reentering the car. However, after past updates the radio was always on the very first time opening the door after the update no matter what the state was the last time.
Hmmm, I'd have to research how to turn the radio off, other than the mute button on the yoke.

mute button
When I say off, I mean the streaming music is paused. Streaming music is paused with the left scroll button. In my case, after past updates, streaming music was playing the first time the door was opened after an update no matter what the stream status was after exiting before the update.

Last edited:
Waymo has been saying for a few years that the future is now.

In very limited areas only. All are places that have fairly good weather most of the year.

Regulators have allowed these pilot projects, but I don't see blanket permissions given everywhere anytime soon.

There have also been some prototype flying cars, but nobody has ever mass produced them.

In very limited areas only. All are places that have fairly good weather most of the year.

Regulators have allowed these pilot projects, but I don't see blanket permissions given everywhere anytime soon.

There have also been some prototype flying cars, but nobody has ever mass produced them.

Not "everywhere"

But in a bunch of US states there are no regulators and no "approval" needed.

If you say your car is self driving and you're insured- they just take your word for it- and you can put it on the road today

The "ONLY REGULATORS ARE HOLDING US BACK" line some have used is completely untrue. The lack of safely working general-use robotaxis actually existing is holding companies back.

Not "everywhere"

But in a bunch of US states there are no regulators and no "approval" needed.

If you say your car is self driving and you're insured- they just take your word for it- and you can put it on the road today

The "ONLY REGULATORS ARE HOLDING US BACK" line some have used is completely untrue. The lack of safely working general-use robotaxis actually existing is holding companies back.
In addition, companies can afford to lose only so much money per year operating AVs. Even Waymo, which has their fleet in revenue service, operates far into the red. Until they can turn a profit, expanding the fleet just expands their losses. That may be slowing expansion as much as technical limitations.

Reactions: JB47394