Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL! You'll still get the download through cellular, like every single major update. I held off on getting my radar turned off for months (you just need to delete your wifi network from your car, dont just disconnect it, it resets to "on" after every drive, but it never connects to a network it doesnt know the password for). After it downloads through cellular, you just have to ignore the install every time you get in the car and drive (press the x). Eventually it goes away (that means its downloading the next update), and then days later it'll start again.

That said.... the ability to play solitaire while the car was in motion was quietly removed and I'm pretty sure I didnt do any installs. Any govt related safety stuff will be forced on you I think.

Godspeed to you though! I ended up giving up once I thought it would affect my warranty (battery charging stuff, thermal controls updates, etc), plus a lot of new stuff was added that I wanted. The thing that helped me do it was driving a friends car without radar. It was "acceptable" to me. Not the best, but acceptable. You may want to see how this goes, it may not be nearly as bad as you think.... then again, maybe it will be worse!
Thanks for the advice! I did delete the wifi network from the car, so at least I got that part right. Now I just have to get good at ignoring the update once it starts spamming my Tesla app :D

I don't plan on holding out forever, I'd rather just give the rest of the online community a chance to test it out and report back first.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Thanks for the advice! I did delete the wifi network from the car, so at least I got that part right. Now I just have to get good at ignoring the update once it starts spamming my Tesla app :D

I don't plan on holding out forever, I'd rather just give the rest of the online community a chance to test it out and report back first.
I will report everything is good 😊

2023.44.30.1 has started on TeslaFi.

1702678053081.png

Last edited:
Nope, I simply want to avoid this particular software update for as long as possible. By thourougly ensuring no wifi connectivity, I am keeping my home network safe in case my "unpatched" Tesla becomes compromised by Chinese or Russian spyware and limits the scope of the botnet to the ATT LTE network.
Avoiding one particular update won't protect you from past or future FUD network compromises.

I don't drive on controlled-access highways on a daily basis (or even weekly or monthly for that matter). Most of my driving is on undivided, two-lane, farm-to-market roads at 60 MPH, loops, bypasses, and state highways with intersections and traffic lights. Limiting Autosteer to controlled-access highways would be MAJOR convenience feature.
I agree. Hopefully all this means is that when you come up to a signal or stop sign, it does the "beep beep" pay attention red message. Would be a sad day if they outright killed AP on all roads but controlled access highways.

I do, however, think they will be killing it on single lane backroads with sharp corners tho...

2023.44.30.1 has started on TeslaFi.

View attachment 999797
I note that this hasn't yet been tagged by TeslaFi with the superscript FSD software version, and it's still in the Pending list. This means that you won't see it if you have your filter (at the top of the list page) set to "FSD Only". The filter has to be set to "All" for these newest versions to show up.

I had previously set my filter to "FSD Only" because at one point there were so many non-FSD versions that the OG testing group releases weren't showing on the first page. But at the moment, that setting is suppressing the listing of the holiday update versions because they're not yet tagged as having FSD at all.

I have a 2018 model that has EAP but not FSD. My navigate on autopilot button is ghosted, and when I go to the settings for that is also ghosted. Someone from Tesla just called me and sent me a update, but it's the 44.1 and it didn't do anything. My neighbor has a new model Y and it has the same problem.
Tesla said they aren't aware of this but does anybody else that just has EAP have the navigate on autopilot ghosted. When I double pull the stalk I just got the two lines, and not the one line, showing that I am on navigate on autopilot.
The person I called from Tesla said I might have to let the car sleep overnight, and see if it works in the morning. If not he said to sent him a message and then they can send someone out and do a full reset that only Tesla can do to see if that solves the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12

As someone without wifi, that's my normal method of operation. I learned after the debacle with the Christmas 2021 update. My record is 135 days between updates (Mid Nov 2022 to April of this year.) In 2023 there will only be 6 updates as we won't be picking up this update this year. (It hasn't been offered to use yet.) This isn't because I object to the changes (as an FSD owner, I have already accepted those limitations for FSDb), it is because I'll wait until I'm sure all the bugs are ironed out of the Christmas update which is bundled in with this recall update.

I can't be bothered to go back and check but I'm wondering if there is an overlap between those who have been chomping at the bit for the Christmas update this year, and those who are saying they aren't going to accept this update at all.

Of course, I may not be able to wait if it is pushed and installed over LTE. In that case, we'll get the recall but we won't get the Christmas update. We are ones who claim we have never had an update pushed to us over LTE without it also automatically installing without action on our part. And we recall this happening 2 or 3 times. The first was around Sept 19, 2020, the rest we only found about when we arrived in the car and it indicated an update had happened and included release notes.

The last OTA recall for the windows didn't seem to come from an update. New cars didn't have vent and then slowly older cars found it was missing. Not every car, just some. When the feature was reactivated, the media reports say owners had a message on their screens they could now use the vent feature and that didn't come as the result of a regular download/install process. (Source: Tesla Revives Remote and Auto Window Capabilities Following NHTSA Compliance)

As for me, I keep having either really noisy or nearly silent turn signals. There hasn't been an install for us since we noted the problem and the fact that it keeps coming and going is weird. At first, both profiles had near silent turn signals, I read about disabling Joe mode so did so on one profile and that fixed the problem. Then I noted it was loud in my profile despite Joe Mode on so I put Joe Mode back on in the other profile and sound disappeared again. There's a post in the last couple of days from someone who his bothered by the NAV instructions yelling at him (even though the settings in the NAV are for mute and the volume slider is also turned down low.)

I'm convinced that Tesla is constantly tweaking things and so those who claim they can avoid a true recall are delusional. Delaying an update is possible but not if Tesla decides you need to have it.

Of course, I may not be able to wait if it is pushed and installed over LTE. In that case, we'll get the recall but we won't get the Christmas update. We are ones who claim we have never had an update pushed to us over LTE without it also automatically installing without action on our part. And we recall this happening 2 or 3 times. The first was around Sept 19, 2020, the rest we only found about when we arrived in the car and it indicated an update had happened and included release notes.
Awesome! You'll be a great test case. Please keep us updated (and not your car ;) )

I note that this hasn't yet been tagged by TeslaFi with the superscript FSD software version, and it's still in the Pending list. This means that you won't see it if you have your filter (at the top of the list page) set to "FSD Only". The filter has to be set to "All" for these newest versions to show up.

I had previously set my filter to "FSD Only" because at one point there were so many non-FSD versions that the OG testing group releases weren't showing on the first page. But at the moment, that setting is suppressing the listing of the holiday update versions because they're not yet tagged as having FSD at all.
notateslaapp.com release notes show this will include FSDb 11.4.9.

The downloads are increasing rapidly, now 500 pending.

Awesome! You'll be a great test case. Please keep us updated (and not your car ;) )
Duh, I hadn't thought about that!

I'll have to convince the Tesla lover but after the Christmas 2021 mess, he is pretty good about putting off updates as long as possible. My average is only 27 days between updates, but that's mostly due to quick updates when something needing patching after Tesla effed the car. Other time it's because when we skip an update for a long time, it takes two back to back updates to get us back where Tesla wants us. That is a real bitch. We finally make time to do the download and install (we tend to do both at the local Tesla place or at least above ground in case the car is bricked with the install) and then on the highway driving home another download is offered to us. Sometimes it is just games which we don't care about but they still mean that after driving around for months with the damn download reminder in the corner of screen and on our app, we spend an hour to get rid of it and it is back within minutes.

It was never promised as Level IV. That was always supposed to be in the "future" ... do you know what it means to say something that has never been done before but will come in the future ?
Right.

FSD-Full Self Driving.

Not sure how else to interpret that.

Are people being "naive" because they thought when they'd bought Full Self Driving that is might actually be that?

Who would have thought....

Reactions: sublimejackman
It's just the pattern of gaslighting that the current defenders of the "fake it until you make it" buisness model that Tesla has adopted. Every time December comes around and "autosteer on city streets" doesn't manifest, they just say "well it was never going to be that" and "it was always going to take this long", "really it's FSD BETA, a level 2 system".

It was always a lie, even to Tesla engineers as early as 2016, they knew it would take at LEAST 5-10 years. It's been 7 and the evidence is becoming clear that robotaxis are still no less than 5 years away.

But still, when I get in my car, I have this screen... what is it coming in the next 15 days?

View attachment 999691

I think FSD without requiring the driver to be on alert is going to be like flying cars.