Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Autopilot update sucks

I had several nags on my usual 40 mile drive and after 6-7 nags, it disabled autopilot for rest of drive - ridiculous and unsafe!

The time it gives me to respond to the nag is ridiculous- just a few seconds , I’m driving 80 mph around a curve and I can’t push the steering wheel obviously— or it will crash , and bam - it turns red

Another time, I see the nag and touch my wheel again to provide torque , but since it’s around a curve , my torque goes unnoticed and I get strike again and no more AP for rest of drive, 25 miles left all highway in traffic

this sucks so bad - I do not think this makes AP safer at all
First off... I'm not doing much 80 mph driving these days. I suppose the East Coast isn't quite like that. The places where I've seen 80 mph have been Out West, where one can occasionally run into a 75 mph speed limit. And every time I've seen one of those, it's on a limited access highway. With big, sweeping, turns. So, just what were you doing?

I run around with FSD all the time. There's always a few seconds before it'll detect eyeballs not out the front windshield or looking at the car's screen. And, when I say a "few", it's more like, I dunno, at least 5 seconds.

As far as the torque follies go: Don't try and steer in the same direction as the car, that way lies madness. There seem to be two schools of thought:
  1. When you breath out, gently lean the wheel in one direction. When you breath in, gently lean the wheel in the other direction. Make it a habit, so one doesn't think about it. If the car's going around corners (as in, a left or right turn), keep one's hands on the wheels, but let 'em slip. This Works.
  2. More common, drive one-handed. Doesn't matter which hand, although it's probably a good idea to switch back and forth. The trick is: Hang on, don't steer. The car's jiggling over the road causes that single hand to keep on applying bits of varying torque, and that keeps the car happy. (I don't like this approach all that much, since every expert or teacher on driving I've ever been exposed to has emphasized, with good reason, the 10 o'clock/2 o'clock approach. But this approach does work.)

Reactions: SidetrackedSue

The time it gives me to respond to the nag is ridiculous- just a few seconds , I’m driving 80 mph around a curve and I can’t push the steering wheel obviously— or it will crash , and bam - it turns red

The maximum posted speed limit in California is 70mph.

Once cars are fully automated they will be following the rules of the road. And safety will improve.

Until then, the weak link is those behind the wheel. Don't blame AP for not responding well while you are breaking the rules of the road. It isn't the weak link in this case. A non-weak-link driver would have learned the non-torque way of dismissing the nag.

I had several nags on my usual 40 mile drive and after 6-7 nags, it disabled autopilot for rest of drive - ridiculous and unsafe!

Another time, I see the nag and touch my wheel again to provide torque , but since it’s around a curve , my torque goes unnoticed and I get strike again and no more AP for rest of drive, 25 miles left all highway in traffic

Just flick the left hand scroll wheel to provide the needed feedback.

Reactions: Tezla1
You're kidding right? You should not be using FSD/Autopilot because you definitely don't know how to.
Stop beating around the bush!

Tell him what you really think.

PougeCS.gif

More observations on 2023.44.30.2:
Auto wipers problem is fixed. 😁
It rained in San Diego tonight.
Lane changing is faster. Rear park assist vision is great. Front park assist is still too blurry in the garage. There were 2 nags asking to press more on the wheel during 10 miles drive in the evening (no nag during 30 miles drive during the day). I only pressed down a little bit on the wheel and the nags went away.

Dumb or reskless humans cannot be used with Tesla software.
Didn't you see some people trying to fill the Tesla battery with a gas station pump? :)
That literally never happened except in joke videos.
And super smart human like Sheldon Cooper cannot pass the driving test. :)
Sheldon Cooper is a fictional character.
Mercedes’ system is only usable on divided highways, and only under 40mph— basically only for highway traffic jams. It’s a very limited system.

Reactions: Wanderer
The difference is that AP (now) and FSDb (should you ever get it) expect your hands on the wheel at ALL times. Those of us with FSDb have had this situation for months now so for those of us who want to keep their hands on the wheel (because they don't trust the stupid car), we've mastered the technique and don't expect much change from this download.
AP and FSD have long expected you to keep your hands on the wheel. But, I can still take my hands off the wheel with either AP or FSDb and just give a little torque periodically. If I don't apply torque soon enough, I get the new nag message, followed by the blue screen and a beep. I never let it go beyond that. This is EXACTLY how it was before the recall. Exactly. Zero change except for the new message placement.

The MY shows no usage of the cabin camera at all.

I've driven a bunch with both cars and honestly see no difference in operation between now and prior to the recall.

First off... I'm not doing much 80 mph driving these days. I suppose the East Coast isn't quite like that. The places where I've seen 80 mph have been Out West, where one can occasionally run into a 75 mph speed limit. And every time I've seen one of those, it's on a limited access highway. With big, sweeping, turns. So, just what were you doing?

I run around with FSD all the time. There's always a few seconds before it'll detect eyeballs not out the front windshield or looking at the car's screen. And, when I say a "few", it's more like, I dunno, at least 5 seconds.

As far as the torque follies go: Don't try and steer in the same direction as the car, that way lies madness. There seem to be two schools of thought:
  1. When you breath out, gently lean the wheel in one direction. When you breath in, gently lean the wheel in the other direction. Make it a habit, so one doesn't think about it. If the car's going around corners (as in, a left or right turn), keep one's hands on the wheels, but let 'em slip. This Works.
  2. More common, drive one-handed. Doesn't matter which hand, although it's probably a good idea to switch back and forth. The trick is: Hang on, don't steer. The car's jiggling over the road causes that single hand to keep on applying bits of varying torque, and that keeps the car happy. (I don't like this approach all that much, since every expert or teacher on driving I've ever been exposed to has emphasized, with good reason, the 10 o'clock/2 o'clock approach. But this approach does work.)
In Texas, school zones are 75 mph. Well, not quite, but we have a lot of 75 mph roads, and they aren't all interstates. On these, my car sets speed to 81 and I have no issue applying the required steering wheel torque going straight down the road or in curves.

It's a non-issue except for those spreading FUD. AP and FSD have plenty of issues, but wheel nags isn't one of them.

Despite this being a recall, I’m still on 23.44.1. I’ve done nothing to encourage the update but thought it would push down by now..

TeslaFi shows a lot of vehicles still running 23.44.1, second most popular.
It has been just a week since we heard about the recall. According to the NHTSA, tesla has until February to notify us in writing of the recall and what to do. So there is absolutely no burning need for anything to be pushed. In fact, given the nothing-burger fix (more screen notifications and a strike-out for those who ignore notifications), especially for those with FSD who already live with these conditions when using FSDb, there is no panic to rush anything out the door.

There are 2M cars included in this. I know this is elon who can put people on Mars but even so, there are limits on tesla's server capability. Since it is an OTA fix and it is being combined with the holiday update (which was just beginning to roll-out when this was announced) it doesn't surprise me that many with HW3 and 4 are still waiting. And tesla hasn't yet announced the update for older vehicles. Given the combination with the holiday update, I suspect everyone currently eligible will be offered the recall version within a week while still offering the holiday update version (but not recall fix) for those with older vehicles.

At that point, my experiment begins and I hold off to see if the car will update over LTE before my car ends up back at an SC for something and the update is forced on me there. (Or I park too close to my son's home and jump on his wifi - not as likely but possible.) Last year, I put off until April to pick up the holiday update (and other updates in between) so I know I can wait months to see if this will be treated as a true push update over LTE.

Toyota recall​

Toyota is recalling around 1 million vehicles over a sensor glitch that could cause the passenger airbag to fail to deploy in a crash. The recall involves 15 different 2020 and 2021 model year Toyota and Lexus models including the Toyota Camry, Rav4, Sienna and the Lexus RX350 and ES350. Specifically, the Occupant Classification System sensor that detects when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat could short circuit. In some of these vehicles the sensor was improperly manufactured and could fail to deploy in incidents when it should. Owners of the vehicles involved in the recall will be notified by February 2024, Toyota said.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
The whole reason I bought a Tesla was to use basic autopilot on most roads. Looks like I’ll stick with software version 2023.38 for the foreseeable future…
Exactly. Have been driving a Tesla with “Autopilot” (not FSD, just lane keeping and adaptive cruise control)on most roads since 2016. I always pay attention and know when to take over, and I feel it has actually increased my safety as it reduces fatigue and allows me to be more alert of my surroundings. Only being able to use it on major highways is not only a significant step back but frankly would make it much less safer. If it is correct that it can only be used on major access highways I also intend to not upgrade if I can help it.

Reactions: kavyboy and DuncanM
First, Autosteer is a beta product. Most people expect some changes to a beta product.

Second, Autosteer always required torque on the wheel to indicate the driver was paying attention. The update changes nothing in how the feature is supposed to be used. The point of autosteer is to keep your car within the lines of the lane. It will not steer around anything that appears suddenly in your lane, that is why you need to pay attention, prepared to steer around a problem.

Third, the point of autosteer is that you can have a relaxed arm providing torque and, with TACC, the car will maintain speed as well. At the end of a long highway drive, your shoulders and hips will be more relaxed because you haven't had your muscles tense constantly adjusting the steering wheel and apply pressure to the go-pedal.

I know how autosteer works and what it's for. The issue is(was) the change, from the slight tug on the wheel to having both hands on the wheel at all times. That, is basically driving on ones own. However, with that said, after I got locked out of autopilot on the trip. I didn't use it the rest of the day. This morning, that "must have 2 hands on wheel at all times" message is gone away, the image that popped up with both hands in red at the top of the screen is gone and autosteer worked as it did before. Just requiring the slight tug on the wheel. Don't ask me what changed as I did not have any other updates.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
There was speculation that AP1 cars were last in line. I have a 2016 AP1, MCU2. I got 2023.44.30.4 this afternoon.

I haven't driven the car yet.
I also have a 2016 AP1 car. Would love to hear your experience before updating myself. Many of the updates and experiences posted here have been for newer cars, but many of the features that are talked about (such as eye tracking) are not applicable for older cars. Please do share your experience when you have a chance.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Exactly. Have been driving a Tesla with “Autopilot” (not FSD, just lane keeping and adaptive cruise control)on most roads since 2016. I always pay attention and know when to take over, and I feel it has actually increased my safety as it reduces fatigue and allows me to be more alert of my surroundings. Only being able to use it on major highways is not only a significant step back but frankly would make it much less safer. If it is correct that it can only be used on major access highways I also intend to not upgrade if I can help it.
I've tested it in SE Arizona and AP (44.30.4) works fine on rural roads, just as before, as long as there's a painted centreline.

I have a 2022 refreshed Model S, and I'm currently on FSD 11.4.8.1 (2023.27.12). I haven't gotten the holiday update yet, but am waiting patiently. My wife got the update on her 2021 Model Y (no FSD). Some nice updated features that I'm looking forward to getting in my Model S. Doesn't seem like FSDb has improved much, though, which doesn't surprise since I'm sure most of the resources at Tesla are now working on V12.

My biggest FSDb issue is the constant darting into turn lanes when my route clearly needs to stay straight. There are several places near my home where this happens every time, so I just disengage at those spots, but I do get caught by surprise sometimes in other locations, and sometimes while I'm driving 70 mph on highways.

Hope V12 does a better job in this regard!

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056