Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla registered the car to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting the DVLA to respond much less action this, especially post-COVID, during the return window for the car would be nigh on impossible.

If they turn around in 3 weeks or whatever and say “sorry no can do, we don’t do that anymore” the OP would be stuffed.
Took 3 months for us to get a response to our registered keeper details change request. Had the response last week, politely declining and asking how we wished to proceed (leave as is or change details and add a previous registered keeper).

I'm waiting for confirmation, but it looks like Tesla are going to ask me to drive down to Brent Cross today and do a straight swap (not sure how this works on paper). I'm a bit surprised they didn't offer me FSD or something which costs them nothing, but might bolster the perceived value of our current vehicle. 🤷‍♂️
Straight swap looks like a good result to me. Well done.

I'd be driving now....

I'm waiting for confirmation, but it looks like Tesla are going to ask me to drive down to Brent Cross today and do a straight swap (not sure how this works on paper). I'm a bit surprised they didn't offer me FSD or something which costs them nothing, but might bolster the perceived value of our current vehicle. 🤷‍♂️
I would guess that managers have very limited discretionary powers and can't get replies from head office either...
Before you drive away with the new car make sure it isn't a returned one too😈
Otherwise... result‼️

I'm still curious what they do with rejected cars as presumably they all have a registered keeper...perhaps swapped into the test-drive pool..?

Reactions: Pauld999
Sounds like a decent result to me! Shouldn't have happened in the first place, but this way it is not a future financial impact on you.
Now you can say you have bought two Tesla's in a month! ;)

Yes, it's surprising they didn't try offering FSD, because that would have cost them nothing at all. Great that you are getting a swap.

Being slightly pedantic, DVLA record the registered keeper and not the owner, not that it changes the sentiment but might cause a problem if you ask the DVLA for the wrong thing (having worked with them many years ago I can imagine some smart arse there saying "if only you'd said keeper, we can do that...". Tesla will have registereed the keeper as somebody else, you were always the owner.

It looks there's a solution if they do a swap so inconvenient but problem solved. If you keep the car for more than a year or 2 I doubt it would have mattered when you came to sell, but there is a principle thing here and Tesla need to do more.

Reactions: Adopado
The epic journey to Brent Cross and back was made. The car was swapped for another identical car and we're back home.

Except of course it's not an identical car. Doors and rear lights aren't quite as closely aligned, everything seems noisier (wind/fans/PWS(?!)), something to do with cabin conditioning makes a clicking/tapping noise and a clunk when it turns off. I had to get them to polish the bonnet before we left because someone had tried to remove some bird crap with some course sandpaper. The screen went black and rebooted the moment we got in...

It's safe to say the joy of taking ownership of a new car has been well and truly crushed. I had a good'n first time round for sure.

Felt a bit better having washed it to my standards, but I'm still deeply pissed off by the whole thing.

Edit... Nearly forgot to say how fine they were with giving me completely warped cards because "they'd got hot in the sun". Make sure you insist on new ones before you leave as I did. They can do it very quickly and easily there and then.

Last edited: