Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, that helps. Unless I am misunderstanding something, it sounds like a feature that won't be of use to me since I already have free premium connectivity. Yes, no?
But let's say I don't have premium connectivity. I would have to pay my cellular provider an extra $10 a month to use my phone as a hotspot, so sounds like a wash to me. What am I missing here?

I no longer have free premium connectivity so I need something if I want to listen to Spotify. In my case I have free cell and free hotspot through work, fully unlimited. Using it makes more sense for me to save the $10, especially if I don't need the other features.

Regarding paying $10 to cell company or $10 to Tesla. Again for me if I had to pay one it would be the cell company since I use the hotspot on my phone to connect my iPad and Laptop when traveling for work or personal use. Using the hotspot lets me use it in the car or anywhere else I want. I also let other people use my hotspot when I'm at a business meeting with someone and there is no WiFi, they can use mine.

I don't think many Tesla owners care if they spent $10 for just hotspot, or $20 for hotspot for non car use on phone and Tesla LTE. Besides you miss out on some of the Tesla features only using HotSpot.

Regarding paying $10 to cell company or $10 to Tesla. Again for me if I had to pay one it would be the cell company since I use the hotspot on my phone to connect my iPad and Laptop when traveling for work or personal use. Using the hotspot lets me use it in the car or anywhere else I want. I also let other people use my hotspot when I'm at a business meeting with someone and there is no WiFi, they can use mine.
Great idea. I might just sign up for cellular hotspot ability on the next cross-country trip just so the family can connect to it on their iPads that don't have built-in cellular capability. Clearly I won't need it for the car though.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
Great idea. I might just sign up for cellular hotspot ability on the next cross-country trip just so the family can connect to it on their iPads that don't have built-in cellular capability. Clearly I won't need it for the car though.

Also even in places, like Hotels, that have WiFi I always use my cellular Hotspot as well since it's much more secure than the hotel WiFi. Especially since the cellphone has firewall/vpn on it for secure corporate use.

Side note when I travel outside the US I add international data, not calling. This let's me get secure wifi. If I need to make a call I have Google Voice installed which I use to make outgoing calls and my cell and Google voice can cross forward to each other. Way cheaper. Also international data can be added and removed at anytime. Last time I signed up they prorated and only charged me the two weeks I used it.

Reactions: K2500Z71
Side note when I travel outside the US I add international data, not calling. This let's me get secure wifi. If I need to make a call I have Google Voice installed which I use to make outgoing calls and my cell and Google voice can cross forward to each other. Way cheaper. Also international data can be added and removed at anytime. Last time I signed up they prorated and only charged me the two weeks I used it.
yes, precisely. I travel a lot to Singapore, Tokyo, and South Korea. I do exactly the same thing as it is MUCH cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Yep we've been mentioning it on and off all morning. Look's to be someone's Model S Plaid.

I wouldn't expect this to roll out to the masses quickly. People are still propagating up from older versions; to 2021.12.25.7 and 2021.4.21.3, for the most part.

Curious if remaining connected to a hotspot will also ‘roam’ to a hotspot? Eg at home it’ll connect to my home WiFi and as I drive away it’ll lose the signal and then search iut my phone WiFi?

I’m looking forward to that as I’m already using hotspots when parked up as the built in LTE doesn’t register as UK so geolocked services don’t work in car

Curious if remaining connected to a hotspot will also ‘roam’ to a hotspot? Eg at home it’ll connect to my home WiFi and as I drive away it’ll lose the signal and then search iut my phone WiFi?

I’m looking forward to that as I’m already using hotspots when parked up as the built in LTE doesn’t register as UK so geolocked services don’t work in car

Had similar thoughts. But that would also require to set a primary and fallback WiFi to make sure it uses home at home and call elsewhere. Have to see.

I can't say for certain. The new hotspot feature states it's suppose to help out with people using their phone with the car instead of paying the $10/mth fee to use the car LTE, along with the extra feature.

I do very little driving, and most of it is in town as well. So I really don't "NEED" most of the features you get with the $10/mth plan.

One thing I want t do is to be able to stream Spotify. So when my free use expired I was going to just use my unlimited hotspot on my phone to stream Spotify to the car instead of pay $10/mth to use the car LTE.

In practice, so far, it has been stupid. I have to reconnect to each time I get into the car and it takes several minutes. I can no longer just open the door and hear music instantly.

"MY" thought here is that the new feature will fix or reduce the issues with using your phone hotspot instead of the car LTE.
Why don’t you instead just stream your Spotify to the car using Bluetooth? Even if Wi-Fi stays connect via mobile hotspot, connecting it can be a hassle sometimes.

Why don’t you instead just stream your Spotify to the car using Bluetooth? Even if Wi-Fi stays connect via mobile hotspot, connecting it can be a hassle sometimes.

Because then I need to use the phone for changing playlist, etc. I also couldn't use the Tesla voice control when I want to play something on a whim.

If I was going to BT it then I would get that new Spotify hardware unit. But then I have to mount it somewhere and it's just not elegant.

I also don't want anymore of a flag is how absurdly high my hotspot usage is with work already.

If necessary you could set up your phone's hotspot to use the same SSID and WPA key/password as your home router. This would require that you keep your phone's hotspot disabled while at home - but that's probably already true? A macro or other automation on the phone could enable hotspot mode when it detects a Bluetooth connection to the car. What I'm not certain of is how long it would take for everything to "sync up" when entering the car.

That's a good thought. However, I have never had an issue with it opening. Help me understand how you might have this issue.

I'm not the one you asked, but I want the charge charge port locked, too. I'll go over the car with a pressure washer first (before using ONR and a sponge), and it's not uncommon for it to trigger the charge port door. Four month of ownership and I'm starting to get the hang of making that not happen, but I don't always think about. It'll be nice for that to not happen.

The other thing I want from car wash mode, as a home washer, is the ability to have the doors open (or windows down), me not in the car, but leave the music going.

Reactions: sgalla04