Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases Model 3 tow package option...in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

https://electrek.co/2019/05/08/tesla-model-3-tow-hitch/

I’m sure a Model 3 tow package option is coming for North America as well, but it’s not here yet.

So the 3 tow package option allows for towing up to 2,000 lbs / 910 kg. Pretty modest. Suitable only for small teardrop trailers and utility trailers. Don’t see anything in the Electrek article about maximum tongue weight.

I hope that the Model Y towing capability will be significantly more than that.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and KJD
So... finally coming out almost 2 years after first production of the car....not available on the P...not available for any already-sold car as a retrofit...and costs about 5x what the widely available aftermarket hitches cost.

Must be from the same folks who finally delivered a $150 keyfob that fails to do the one thing anybody actually wanted a fob for (passive entry)

Have factory tow system on my X and it is fantastic. It is well integrated into the design of the car. The ball and tongue are removable and there is a vanity plate that covers up the hole when not in use. Also maintains aerodynamic features of the car.

It is fully integrated into the electronics of the car with two different plugs available for different trailer set ups. Specialized software comes into play automatically as the car automatically identifies that you are pulling a load and switches to trailer mode. An icon comes on the dash and the cars suspension and brakes become engaged to dampen sway or wind deflections.

Torque from the electric motors make towing easier than any other vehicle I have used to tow. Far superior throttle control than the Hemi powered Grand Cherokee I used to drive.

Heavy loads suck up electrons fast, but other than that it is a fine tow vehicle.

In Europe there are lots of regulations that must be dealt with by the manufacturer to offer a factory hitch. It is a very expensive and time consuming undertaking to add towing capacity. Liability is a huge thing that the manufacturers need to take into consideration.

Aftermarket bolt on hitches are much less expensive, but would rarely pass governmental inspections in many countries.

I believe that Tesla should be lauded for coming out with a factory tow package.

In the States, Tesla wisely disengages autopilot currently. While it would be nice to cruise down the highway, pulling a heavy and long load, I believe that is still best being done under the control of an engaged and aware human pilot.

There are so many variables that come into play when towing. From people hauling more than prudent, driving too fast for conditions, not having experience with an out of control trailer, or the increases in stopping distances as well as vast reductions in emergency handling. Towing in any vehicle is frought with unexpected dangers.

I believe that Tesla should be lauded for coming out with a factory tow package.
Agreed, for all the reasons you so clearly stated.

Because the first thing that comes to mind with the Model 3 is "it better have fantastic towing ability."
If you search TMC you will find many many posts over the past 2+ years made by people who desperately wanted the Model 3 to be able to tow. There is a market for it, but more in Europe than North America.

If you search TMC you will find many many posts over the past 2+ years made by people who desperately wanted the Model 3 to be able to tow. There is a market for it, but more in Europe than North America.

Yeah If you have driven around Europe much, you will notice that pickups are extremely rare. What you will see is vehicles of all shapes sizes pulling trailers which is the European version of a pickup. So prioritizing a hitch for the M3 in europe first makes complete sense. In the US if I owned a M3, I would definitely at least want the ability to easily attach bikes or cargo carriers to a hitch. It's much more efficient than putting stuff on the roof. So hopefully we will get a factory hitch soon. My guess is Tesla is putting its energy now into what will substantially lever demand which in terms of a hitch is probably much more significant to the European sedan buyer than its American counterpart.

New Zealand families normally have at least one vehicle with a tow ball for the caravan, boat, jetski, trailer, bike rack etc.
Now the tow ball is an option on the Model 3, I will be able to sell our Subaru Outback, that has the tow ball.
I haven't needed to tow more than 900kg for a long time, so that should not be a problem.