Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, remove the Easter eggs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cyberax

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2015
Seattle, WA
Tesla, please kindly remove the Easter eggs if your programmer's hands grow straight out of their butts.

Context: I was driving yesterday night at 2am home after a road trip. My friends were asleep in the back seat. Unfortunately, I have accidentally triggered the cowbell nonsense by trying to activate the autopilot after a NoA turn.

And then I couldn't turn this @#!@ing cowbell off. There are no controls on the main screen, the "pause" button does nothing (to be more precise, it stars playing regular music over the cowshit). Stalk buttons also do nothing. Even VOLUME CONTROL does nothing.

Oh, and this ****ing thing is looped.

I ended up parking on a freeway shoulder and restarting the computer.

Tesla, ****ing remove this nonsense if you can't program it properly.

Tesla, please kindly remove the Easter eggs if your programmer's hands grow straight out of their butts.

Context: I was driving yesterday night at 2am home after a road trip. My friends were asleep in the back seat. Unfortunately, I have accidentally triggered the cowbell nonsense by trying to activate the autopilot after a NoA turn.

And then I couldn't turn this @#!@ing cowbell off. There are no controls on the main screen, the "pause" button does nothing (to be more precise, it stars playing regular music over the cowshit). Stalk buttons also do nothing. Even VOLUME CONTROL does nothing.

Oh, and this ****ing thing is looped.

I ended up parking on a freeway shoulder and restarting the computer.

Tesla, ****ing remove this nonsense if you can't program it properly.
your fault for "trying" to activate autopilot by quickly pressing the stalk 4 times in a row.... does once not work for you?

your fault for "trying" to activate autopilot by quickly pressing the stalk 4 times in a row.... does once not work for you?
I'm not sure about the sequence, but I think it was:
1) Turn on the AP
2) Immediately turn the wheel (and disengage the AP)
3) Try to turn on the AP again (and fail)
4) Try it again, AP activates with cowshit

I did not press the stalk multiple times just on purpose. It was normal driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: dm33 and jat255
If the quick two presses don't work, look for the steering wheel to appear before hitting it again.

Just hitting it multiple times will keep making noises anyway.

Also make sure your blinker is not on. I got caught with that a couple times recently.

But I agree, no easter eggs should start that easily while driving. Maybe an "Are you sure?" should be added.

No. I was not pressing it multiple times. You can trigger the cowshit by having a 1 second pause between presses and this can happen during the normal driving (though it's unlikely).
the cowbell is activated by pressing the stalk four (4) times in quick succession, once the AP is already activated. so i'm going to take the car's side on this one.

I did have it trigger unintentionally once, and yeah, it was quite annoying, although to be fair, I was very amused the dozen or so other times I used it, so theres that. But it was only once by accident. I sympathize with this guy. You're seemingly held captive by the "once funny back 10 years ago" comedy skit. Its annoying when you dont want it to happen, and need the silence for comforts sake, instead of accidentally waking up the baby ect.

Reactions: dm33 and APotatoGod
Yes, the rest of us owners shouldn’t have the joy of Easter eggs because you can’t figure out how to work your own car. THAT MAKES SENSE
Yes, it makes sense. Can you point out the place in the car manual that describes how to dismiss this Easter egg? I actually checked it, there's nothing.

Now imagine that you're a Chinese-speaking driver that accidentally activated this nonsense. You don't understand what it's telling you and there's no way to shut it down. You just hear that the tone of the voice is pretty insistent. Volume controls also don't work. Is it a serious error message? Is car trying to tell you something? Maybe it was hacked? Should you do an emergency stop?

Not so funny now, is it?