Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Removes Mention Of Standard Range Model 3 From Its Website. What's Going On?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why you don't get it. It's a pretty simple concept.

The moves a company makes are due to the leadership at said company. Change the leadership and it's easier to forgive.

I mean- not really though.

Again the average consumer couldn't name the CEO of their car company if you offered them money to do it.

Musk is very much an unusual data point in this regard.

And the "leadership" didn't really change much at either place- the long-term COO replacing the long term CEO? You don't think the chief operating officer was aware they were defrauding their own customers for years?

And again the VW and Wells examples are much worse behavior than simply missing target deadlines- and customers quickly and easily forgave (or forgot the bad behavior of) the companies.

For that matter- how bout GM?

To save 57 cents per car they kept using faulty ignition switches they knew for a fact were killing customers for over a decade

No major leadership punishment there either. Just some nothingburger congressional hearings.

And yet plenty of folks still buy GMs cars today.

Musk is the one who goes out there and issues these promises and fails to deliver. The buck stops with him. The flufferbot, turnover, etc... all on his watch.

And yet Tesla continues to be able to sell literally every car they make.

It's almost like most customers do not have long unforgiving memories or something...even when they DO know who the CEO is....let alone when they don't.

Thanks for reinforcing my original point :)

Last edited:
Thursday February 28, 2019, and the $35k M3 is here! I suppose one or two or three in this thread got some egg on their face today :).

Wall Street doesn’t like a lower-margin car, but long live the transport revolution! My M3P is now ten percent cheaper than when I bought it in August. And that’s great, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy and heems
I was thinking it (pulled reference) was going to be in antipation of the Model 3 Standard Range being orderable. Glad to see it happen and something that timewise I think was close to when Elon more recently had projected it would happen. Also glad to hear that reservation holders were going to get priority in deliveries of their cars.

Quote from Transport Evolved blog: "Tesla has been promising the world that it would begin production of its 'affordable' Tesla Model 3 Standard Range electric car some time in the middle of this year. Offering a real-world range of 220 miles per charge, Tesla's entry-level Model 3 is the car that many Model 3 deposit holders have been waiting nearly three years to buy.

On Feb 18 however, Tesla mysteriously removed reference to the Model 3 Standard Range from its website, causing mild panic among some Tesla customers.

Is Tesla trying to remove Model 3 Standard Range from the Model 3 lineup? Is it a website glitch? Or is there a plausible reason for the change?

Watch this video to find out".

Source: Transport Evolved a multimedia website helping buyers understand the world of clean fuels and future car technology located in Bristol, United Kingdom
============

Well- that message from Europe (10 days ago) was completely WRONG! and shouldn't have quoted it here. Sorry.

This is how the Buy Tesla model 3 page on their website looks now:
upload_2019-3-1_6-15-52.png

Finally the $35,000 model is ready for sale, but with this news comes a radical change in Tesla's sales strategy.

Tesla cuts Model 3 price, plans to close most retail stores
Tesla Inc. is finally debuting its Model 3 at $35,000, potentially fulfilling its long-held promise of creating an all-electric sedan with a price point aimed at the masses, but will close most of its retail stores around the U.S. as its switches to an online-only sales model.
See full article in San Jose news 2/28/2019/

$35K Model 3 will never arrive. Tesla cannot build it profitably, everyone acknowledges this.

Just to confirm, I was wrong on sentence one (I will own that)...

but correct on sentence two. Elon himself said yesterday that the deep sales and marketing cuts are what it's going to take to sell the $35K car profitably today. I question the wisdom of doing this now but what do I know anyway.

Just to confirm, I was wrong on sentence one (I will own that)...

but correct on sentence two. Elon himself said yesterday that the deep sales and marketing cuts are what it's going to take to sell the $35K car profitably today. I question the wisdom of doing this now but what do I know anyway.

Gonna go pedantic on you. They are building it profitably. Just not profitably enough to cover all Tesla non-manufacturing costs while simultaneously expanding service, building GF3, developing Semi, Roadster, and Y and cutting sales prices by 6%...

Interesting ... so they do not have any (exaggeration) service centers worth a xxxxxx.
And now they're closing most of their showrooms.
What's left? Oh, the chargers ...
When the public, especially those on the M3 list, sees stores everywhere closing ... wonder how they'll react?
CANCEL orders!

Interesting ... so they do not have any (exaggeration) service centers worth a xxxxxx.
And now they're closing most of their showrooms.
What's left? Oh, the chargers ...
When the public, especially those on the M3 list, sees stores everywhere closing ... wonder how they'll react?
CANCEL orders!

They're actually adding service centers (and likely some staff from sales centers will move over there to SCs)

Which are the places they actually deliver the cars from anyway.

So not sure why anyone would cancel an already placed order over this.

They're actually adding service centers (and likely some staff from sales centers will move over there to SCs)

Which are the places they actually deliver the cars from anyway.

So not sure why anyone would cancel an already placed order over this.

Because it sounds bad ....

My wife's immediate reaction was "WHY? Are they going bankrupt?" - She wasn't enamored with the idea of buying a Tesla to start; now she's even less so. The perception is that it's a company on the ropes, and this doesn't help, to be frank.

Sometimes perception is reality. I don't think closing the showrooms is a good idea.... It gives a "we're on our way out" feel.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
Like I've been saying from day one, I'd be shocked if there ever was a "standard range" Model 3. Those of you holding out for one should either get a MR or cancel because this is the EXACT same pattern that Tesla followed with the S40... Soon they'll claim the demand wasn't high enough and thus it didn't make any financial sense to make it and those who were waiting for one can purchase a MR right now...

Jeff

How's it feel now to have said that ^^^?

So, did you get a Model 3 or stick with the Volt like you were leaning towards last November?

• Funny
Reactions: kbecks13
How's it feel now to have said that ^^^?

So, did you get a Model 3 or stick with the Volt like you were leaning towards last November?

Couple of things, I was really surprised when Tesla actually released the 35K Model 3... I was pretty convinced it was going to end up like the S40.

Secondly, I have a Model X and a Volt. The Volt we've had 6 years... So either you have me confused with someone else or...???

Until Tesla brings the heated steering wheel and auto open/close trunk, the Model 3 is too "cheap" for my tastes...

Jeff