Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing transferable supercharging from existing owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the posts you mentioned and some context shows that there are varying experiences and no resolution yet. Like most of these things it looks like Tesla's communications are poor and their low-level employees uninformed.
Someone loses free supercharging. Tesla is charging them money for supercharger usage. They contact Tesla, they tell them that is the new policy, end of story. You come back saying "uninformed low-level employees", how does that help the person who lost the feature? Those "low-level employees" are the only communication with Tesla (note there is no more "escalation option"). Your excuse does not negate the fact that the issue exists, and there no way for the customer to fix it. What a new level of making excuses for Elon - he's too busy, it's the uninformed employees fault, yes there is nothing customer can do, but Elon is not at all at fault. Guess what, if his company is hiring incompetent employees, it is his fault. If his company doesn't communicate clearly to employees or train them, that is his fault. You simply have to look at results, customer gets screwed. Please stop making excuses for Tesla by blaming it on uninformed employees. Elon is the head of the company, he owns all of their successes and failures. Until there is Elon's cell phone posted on the support site "if you don't agree with what the employee is telling you, call Elon to confirm", those low-level employees are the only face of Tesla to customers.

Anyways, the original question was why would some people lean towards "Tesla is hiding whether or not supercharging is transferable" on purpose, rather than "a web design bug". I think I answered that question - they are changing policies trying to weasel out of previous transferable supercharing terms, so it would be to their benefit to cleanse the website from information on transferability, hence more probable it was done on purpose .

Last edited:
I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone RECENTLY purchased a used, 2016 Model S from a private or 3rd party dealer (not Tesla CPO) and found out it did NOT have free supercharging (that was supposed to be transferable). As mentioned in previous posts by others, my Tesla owners page no longer has the statement about free, transferable supercharging and that is one reason I searched for 5 months trying to find a 12/2016 model (along with V2 HW). I bought it at a premium knowing it would help resale value.

Last edited:
I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone RECENTLY purchased a used, 2016 Model S from a private or 3rd party dealer (not Tesla CPO) and found out it did NOT have free supercharging (that was supposed to be transferable). As mentioned in previous posts by others, my Tesla owners page no longer has the statement about free, transferable supercharging and that is one reason I searched for 5 months trying to find a 12/2016 model (along with V2 HW). I bought it at a premium knowing it would help resale value.

My page also doesn't say transferrable anymore but Tesla did respond to my query.

"Thank you for reaching out to Tesla support! In reviewing, I am seeing that your free supercharging will transfer if you sell the vehicle privately. If the vehicle does get sold back to us the free unlimited supercharging may not transfer with ownership .I do hope this has offered clarification. Let us know if you have any further questions or if there’s anything else we can assist you with. Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

That said, there's nothing in the statement that says they won't take it away. Despite what some have claimed, there's no document anywhere that says it's transferrable for life.

I realize this is probably splitting hairs and that it came right down to it, the response that I got has exclusions as to how the FUSC would be removed and those exclusions don't say "or whenever we choose to stop honoring that", so i think I'm covered with the above response.

How hard would it be for Tesla to have a few display options?

Pay Per Use Supercharging
1000 annual supercharging miles resets annually on XX/XX/XXXX (Transferable)
Unlimited Supercharging (Transferable)
Unlimited Supercharging (Non-Transferable)

This is might be asking a BIT much for a 40 billion+ market cap company but:

XXXX Referral Supercharging miles / Expires XX/XX/XXXX

If the vehicle does get sold back to us the free unlimited supercharging may not transfer with ownership .

This is weird because no one cares if FUSC transfers to Tesla. Only another consumer would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
How hard would it be for Tesla to have a few display options?

Pay Per Use Supercharging
1000 annual supercharging miles resets annually on XX/XX/XXXX (Transferable)
Unlimited Supercharging (Transferable)
Unlimited Supercharging (Non-Transferable)

This is might be asking a BIT much for a 40 billion+ market cap company but:

XXXX Referral Supercharging miles / Expires XX/XX/XXXX
Probably not hard, likely easier than making the car fart. This is what makes me think they are intentionally not doing this.

This is weird because no one cares if FUSC transfers to Tesla. Only another consumer would.
Personally I think this is exactly what Tesla is counting on when removing FUSC from 3rd party sold cars. The buyer will just blame the seller for ripping them off, and if the buyer tries to go after Tesla, they will tell them "we didn't sell you any free supercharging, go away", so the buyer would have to sue the 3rd party seller, and the 3rd party seller would have to then sue the original owner, the original owner would then have a claim against Tesla. The time, money, and complexity required to extract FUSC from Tesla makes it extremely unlikely for anyone to attempt, hence Tesla wins. I also bet they would try to tell anyone suing that their policy is to remove FUSC from 3rd party resold cars too, as they did to some members here, so then it would be a question of does the policy applies because it was not in place when the original car sale occurred, but sure was when the used car sale occurred, so the question is - does Tesla have the right to change/apply policies to cars they don't own.

Elon is an evil genius - he pulled it off with the P85D horsepower, very few owners sued because it was too much hassle - even though the win for the customer would be very likely (which is why Tesla settled with those who sued in Europe).

Last edited:
Personally I think this is exactly what Tesla is counting on when removing FUSC from 3rd party sold cars. The buyer will just blame the seller for ripping them off, and if the buyer tries to go after Tesla, they will tell them "we didn't sell you any free supercharging, go away", so the buyer would have to sue the 3rd party seller, and the 3rd party seller would have to then sue the original owner, the original owner would then have a claim against Tesla. The time, money, and complexity required to extract FUSC from Tesla makes it extremely unlikely for anyone to attempt, hence Tesla wins. I also bet they would try to tell anyone suing that their policy is to remove FUSC from 3rd party resold cars too, as they did to some members here, so then it would be a question of does the policy applies because it was not in place when the original car sale occurred, but sure was when the used car sale occurred, so the question is - does Tesla have the right to change/apply policies to cars they don't own.

Elon is an evil genius - he pulled it off with the P85D horsepower, very few owners sued because it was too much hassle - even though the win for the customer would be very likely (which is why Tesla settled with those who sued in Europe).

Someone would have opened up a class action lawsuit by now if this scenario happened?

I would be interested in reading the links if you know have to find it for those who got transferable FUSC removed?

It's pretty clear that anyone who ordered before Jan 2017 would have transferable FUSC. NEW cars not having transferable FUSC, or NOT having transferable FUSC is Tesla's discretion.

Retroactively hosing previous owners, they can't be that foolish.

Someone would have opened up a class action lawsuit by now if this scenario happened?
Do you know any US class action suits about the P85D needing a 50% power boost to meet the original spec? I don't. It seems that if a company does it to a small enough group, class action probably won't happen - not enough plaintiffs to distribute the cost across. In the case of FUSC, there would also not be a clearly damaged person with legal claims, the original owner already sold their car so they don't care anymore, so further complications making it even less likely. Like I said, Elon knows what he's doing.

Do you know any US class action suits about the P85D needing a 50% power boost to meet the original spec? I don't. It seems that if a company does it to a small enough group, class action probably won't happen - not enough plaintiffs to distribute the cost across. In the case of FUSC, there would also not be a clearly damaged person with legal claims, the original owner already sold their car so they don't care anymore, so further complications making it even less likely. Like I said, Elon knows what he's doing.

You only need a single plaintiff. The remaining class would be unknown individuals similarly situated. Anyone who bought a P85D. If it’s more than 21 people you can make a run at it. Attorneys who do class actions pay themselves approximately 28 percent of the total settlement so the plaintiff doesn’t have to pay anything.

It’s quite possible some P85 buyers did file a complaint and got it settled on a confidential basis.

Totally not worth it for Tesla to try and strip FUSC from people.

I recently bought a 2013 Model S 85 with free unlimited supercharging. Here is what I could clarify:

1) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with dealer buying it through AUCTION (check vehicle history report like Carfax), free supercharging will NOT transfer. Most MS sold through auction are to 3rd party dealer, and most dealers do not transfer the car to their name. so when you are trying to buy the MS from the dealer, it will still say the MS has free unlimited supercharging.

2) If the MS is sold through Tesla CPO program, free supercharging will not transfer. Tesla website states so. This is pretty clear

3) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with previous owner trade-in, free supercharging will NOT transfer. HOWEVER, there is work around to it. PM for detail.

4) The ONLY way the free unlimited supercharging will transfer is through private sales (person to person).

I hope it helps!

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Sherlo
I recently bought a 2013 Model S 85 with free unlimited supercharging. Here is what I could clarify:

1) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with dealer buying it through AUCTION (check vehicle history report like Carfax), free supercharging will NOT transfer. Most MS sold through auction are to 3rd party dealer, and most dealers do not transfer the car to their name. so when you are trying to buy the MS from the dealer, it will still say the MS has free unlimited supercharging.

2) If the MS is sold through Tesla CPO program, free supercharging will not transfer. Tesla website states so. This is pretty clear

3) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with previous owner trade-in, free supercharging will NOT transfer. HOWEVER, there is work around to it. PM for detail.

4) The ONLY way the free unlimited supercharging will transfer is through private sales (person to person).

I hope it helps!
Did this information come from Tesla? If so, that would be ripping people off, counting on it being too hard to hold them accountable because of numerous ownership transfers. The only thing they should legally have the right to do is #2, and #1 if they are the ones putting the car up for auction - in other words, they should be legally able to strip FUSC only if they obtain ownership rights to the car in the process. It's no different than taking off 21" wheels, Tesla can do that if they own the car, but if they take them off a car at a 3rd party dealer and put 19's on, it's theft, plain and simple.

PS> I sold a Tesla through a dealer in 2015, FUSC was fully transferable then, so this would definitely be a change in how Tesla interprets FUSC.

I have been struggling through this. I bought a 2014 S60 privately from the original owner. He had paid to enable supercharging in early 2015. I bought the car in mid-September, Tesla finally changed the ownership over early October and it was put to pay-per-use supercharging. I have spoken with many customer service representatives, about 2/3rd of which agree that I should have free unlimited supercharging and the other third came up with some weird reasons: “we no longer offer this promotion”, “the early 85s were transferable, not the 60s”, “I’m not familiar with that so I can’t help with that”, etc. The ones who agreed with me said they sent an email to another internal department and I should hear back in x business days. I’d course I don’t, call back a few additional business days after that and am given a different story and the process starts again.

During all of this, I’m racking up supercharging charges. $100-ish isn the end of the world, but frustrating as I won’t get it back and I shouldn’t have to pay it in the first place.

I’m happy for any input on any supporting information that people have used successfully in the past.

I hope it helps!
Lots of misinformation in this post not the least of which is that Tesla no longer has a CPO program. Please stop referring it to as such since they ended it clearly and obviously almost a year ago.

Reactions: kavyboy
Lots of misinformation in this post not the least of which is that Tesla no longer has a CPO program. Please stop referring it to as such since they ended it clearly and obviously almost a year ago.
So much misinformation and yet this is what you decide to highlight? Please, do tell us what is the other misinformation and be sure to post sources to clarify this misinformation.

So much misinformation and yet this is what you decide to highlight? Please, do tell us what is the other misinformation and be sure to post sources to clarify this misinformation.
How 'bout the other person post sources to clarify the factual information they've presented. So often people can just spout all kinds of info online with zero citation and when someone challenges that you want THAT person to present sources? ROFL

How 'bout the other person post sources to clarify the factual information they've presented. So often people can just spout all kinds of info online with zero citation and when someone challenges that you want THAT person to present sources? ROFL
Thus far, his explanation makes perfect sense. You stated, unequivocally, that he has presenting misinformation. That is a conclusion. Please share with us the data points you used to come to that conclusion. You are accusing someone of lying, someone who is trying to help the community. Please share with us your basis in fact.

• Love
Reactions: Worldtraveler
Thus far, his explanation makes perfect sense. You stated, unequivocally, that he has presenting misinformation. That is a conclusion. Please share with us the data points you used to come to that conclusion. You are accusing someone of lying, someone who is trying to help the community. Please share with us your basis in fact.

I didn't call anyone a liar so don't use hyperbole to make it seem more malicious than it was. I only stated that the information they were presenting wasn't entirely accurate. I even went on to specify on one of these inaccuracies. There's no reason to make this something it's not via passive aggressiveness.

In an effort to "help" there is a TON of misinformation being presented as fact on these forums. This happens frequently enough unchecked and nobody remembers what the original source was for the "facts" which maybe aren't even accurate. This happened a while back when Tesla did away with FUSC on new cars being manufactured and it was crazy how fast people assumed this applied to ALL cars and parroted that info as fact. They couldn't change this agreement retroactively w/o BOTH parties consenting to the new terms of the agreement which dozens of people on this very forum swore was the case because they "heard" it.

There was another recent instance where someone misread a 3rd party article (read: not an actual document or statement BY Tesla) about how Tesla was removing this from used car that TESLA sold. They took it to mean that it applied it to all 3rd party dealerships & were presenting that as fact to someone trying to get information that had no idea. The article linked to didn't even mention the word dealership once. The person presenting "facts" told the new car shopper that the used cars offered by Tesla had FUSC and that the ones sold at 3rd party dealers didn't... both of these "facts" by someone "just helping" were inaccurate.

This appears to be happening again in Point #1 above. Now, suddenly and w/o any sort of supporting proof, we're expected to just believe that it applies to cars that are sold by 3rd party dealers who got the car at auction? That's in clear violation of the terms of the original sale of that vehicle and I have yet to see a single official document from Tesla that back that claim that FUSC is removed from used cars that had been sold used by 3rd party dealers.

All I'm asking is for actual sources for that person's information. You seemed to think it was acceptable to require it of me for merely questioning the legitimacy of the information but why not the person who actually posted the information in the first place?

If true, this is very sneaky on Tesla's part.

They sold the car with free unlimited and transferable supercharging, which they remove remotely, thus devaluing the car, without even having taken possession of it.

I didn't call anyone a liar so don't use hyperbole to make it seem more malicious than it was. I only stated that the information they were presenting wasn't entirely accurate. I even went on to specify on one of these inaccuracies. There's no reason to make this something it's not via passive aggressiveness.

In an effort to "help" there is a TON of misinformation being presented as fact on these forums. This happens frequently enough unchecked and nobody remembers what the original source was for the "facts" which maybe aren't even accurate. This happened a while back when Tesla did away with FUSC on new cars being manufactured and it was crazy how fast people assumed this applied to ALL cars and parroted that info as fact. They couldn't change this agreement retroactively w/o BOTH parties consenting to the new terms of the agreement which dozens of people on this very forum swore was the case because they "heard" it.

There was another recent instance where someone misread a 3rd party article (read: not an actual document or statement BY Tesla) about how Tesla was removing this from used car that TESLA sold. They took it to mean that it applied it to all 3rd party dealerships & were presenting that as fact to someone trying to get information that had no idea. The article linked to didn't even mention the word dealership once. The person presenting "facts" told the new car shopper that the used cars offered by Tesla had FUSC and that the ones sold at 3rd party dealers didn't... both of these "facts" by someone "just helping" were inaccurate.

This appears to be happening again in Point #1 above. Now, suddenly and w/o any sort of supporting proof, we're expected to just believe that it applies to cars that are sold by 3rd party dealers who got the car at auction? That's in clear violation of the terms of the original sale of that vehicle and I have yet to see a single official document from Tesla that back that claim that FUSC is removed from used cars that had been sold used by 3rd party dealers.

All I'm asking is for actual sources for that person's information. You seemed to think it was acceptable to require it of me for merely questioning the legitimacy of the information but why not the person who actually posted the information in the first place?

Why are you so mad? RELAX.. The whole internet is full of misinformation. Ultimately, one has to use the best judgment to determine what's factual. Having recently bought a MS 85 and ABLE to transfer the free unlimited charging to my account, I know a thing or two about it. I had given a very useful lead.. all someone has to do is research it for 15-30 mins. (Google much?)

Anyway, the ONLY purpose of my post is to help this community members make a sound judgment. I believe I accomplished it. I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Why are you so mad? RELAX.. The whole internet is full of misinformation. Ultimately, one has to use the best judgment to determine what's factual. Having recently bought a MS 85 and ABLE to transfer the free unlimited charging to my account, I know a thing or two about it. I had given a very useful lead.. all someone has to do is research it for 15-30 mins. (Google much?)

Anyway, the ONLY purpose of my post is to help this community members make a sound judgment. I believe I accomplished it. I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

I used lots of words so that makes me mad? Excellent assumption because I'm SOOO mad! Grrrrrr

lol

This is a great bit of misdirection to try to distract from the real issue here and paint the picture of me being some pissed of crazy person which couldn't be further from reality. Nice try though. How 'bout for future interactions you just don't go at people's personal traits and stick to the topic?

It doesn't matter if you bought one, seven or zero... if you're on here spouting misinformation as fact you're not "helping" anyone so stop breaking your arm patting yourself on the back for the wonderful work you did. Simply posting nothing at all would have been more helpful than taking the time to offer misinformation to someone who may already be confused by all of this.

You're so proud of yourself for being part of the problem by your own admission. This stuff would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.