Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the move away from USS, but I live in the paris in a driveway surrounded by limestone walls, the only way to park without sensors is to get a family member to help. For a new "luxury" car this is hopeless! It was not made aware that this feature would not be available, otherwise I would not have picked it up! Why hide it? Hopeless...
In the US, when your accept the VIN you are required to click to agree to a disclaimer that your car wouldn't have USS. Are you saying you didn't get that message?

Reactions: DrGriz
In general, RainX works by adding a thin, hydrophobic layer (I believe it's a silicone compound) to the surface of the glass, causing water to bead up and run off easier. The risk of doing that is the film itself can actually obscure the optics.
People have tried that and said it doesn't work. If anything it might make things worse (at least for rain) given it may leave a film of water that makes the whole thing blurry. Unlike the windshield there is no air moving to blow out the water droplets. That's why people did the makeshift rain shield (which seems to work ok).

Note also there are two types of RainX, one for glass and one for plastic. Not sure what type the rear camera lens is.

It doesn't work. the area is tiny and too many splatters/droplets falling on it. The best one I encountered is the VW where the camera is behind the emblem and only opens when the reverse is engaged.

Ok. You got it.
Haha.
100% this will have 0 impact on Q4 deliveries.

Tesla is still selling every car they can produce and with a backlog-- removing radar didn't change that, removing USS sure won't.
Perhaps the USS itself had minkmal
Impact on q4 deliveries. But only because I bet most people who took delivery in Dec weren’t aware that it was removed.

Re the “backlog/unlimited demand” assertion…. I wish that was actually true.

I mean, Q4 was still a record-- for both deliveries AND production.

And there's 0 indication that US production wasn't going 100% full bore the whole time- Tesla in the US did offer incentives in December- but they were pretty clearly related to the new tax credit, not the ultrasonic sensors.

China demand certainly appears to have softened- and Tesla just today announced significant price cuts there- but again this has nothing to do with the USS removal it has to do with both widespread massive covid issues, and also BYD offering a roughly comparable car for significantly less money. Unlike in the US, competition actually IS coming in China.

I
Haha.

Perhaps the USS itself had minkmal
Impact on q4 deliveries. But only because I bet most people who took delivery in Dec weren’t aware that it was removed.

Re the “backlog/unlimited demand” assertion…. I wish that was actually true.

I spoke to one of the Tesla guys and they are getting a lot of "feedback" from customers on the removal of the uss. He said it is a top priority for them to get it sorted.

Have to feel sorry for the employees on the ground really.

I

I spoke to one of the Tesla guys and they are getting a lot of "feedback" from customers on the removal of the uss. He said it is a top priority for them to get it sorted.

Have to feel sorry for the employees on the ground really.
Honestly: Tesla MUST get a new CEO this year. And one who isn’t a musk puppet. Not offering round wheel option for s/x upfront, was all musk. Removing USS BEFORE replacing same functionality with vision? All musk.

Just two Poor decisions that were avoidable.

Hi

Just spoke to Tesla Westmont advisor she said update to software for the lack of USS should be less than 2 weeks, "very soon". Hope she is right!
same thing they told me last summer when I asked about the promised software update for yoke owners that would allow horn activation via airbag that Elon promised in 2021

and well....LOL

speaking of..where is the $20k ceramic brake kit that had "coming summer 2022" for many months on the website

Hi

Just spoke to Tesla Westmont advisor she said update to software for the lack of USS should be less than 2 weeks, "very soon". Hope she is right!

They know nothing lol

Riiiiiight. Just behind the “2021” Cybertruck and roadster too.

Ask that SA to put that in writing…

well, my first production Model 3 came delivered without wifi. whether it's really 2 weeks or 2 months, it's still short compared to your ownership lifetime of the car. Coming up on 5 years now, and I can't even remember how long I had to wait until I got the features that were supposed to come with the car. Hang in there.

well, my first production Model 3 came delivered without wifi. whether it's really 2 weeks or 2 months, it's still short compared to your ownership lifetime of the car. Coming up on 5 years now, and I can't even remember how long I had to wait until I got the features that were supposed to come with the car. Hang in there.
YeH. Funny aspect though is they are very quick to accept your money (even to the point that you been to bring a cashier check to delivery!) but not so quick to deliver features you paid for.