Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YeH. Funny aspect though is they are very quick to accept your money (even to the point that you been to bring a cashier check to delivery!) but not so quick to deliver features you paid for.
OR..will not hesitate to deliver you car with things missing that they didnt even tell you about. Ex: When USB ports were literally just a blank space. And owners didnt know that was intentional by Tesla at the time. Horrid comms..

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
*sigh* Do you think the engineers that work on the networking and security subsystems for MacOS or iOS also write the code for Garage Band? Can you not fathom that there is a small team of engineers that are only responsible for entertainment subsystems on the car (like the browser, the audio systems, media streaming app integration, and Toybox functions)? Those engineers wouldn't be qualified to touch the AI subsystems. Just like you wouldn't hire a web developer to build your CRM database backend. Different skillset.

*sigh* Do you think the engineers that work on the networking and security subsystems for MacOS or iOS also write the code for Garage Band? Can you not fathom that there is a small team of engineers that are only responsible for entertainment subsystems on the car (like the browser, the audio systems, media streaming app integration, and Toybox functions)? Those engineers wouldn't be qualified to touch the AI subsystems. Just like you wouldn't hire a web developer to build your CRM database backend. Different skillset.
I KNEW that was coming. the "bUt iTs a DiFfErenT TeAm!"

Here is what a new CEO would do. Reduce the # of resources dedicated to gaming, specifically, to Fart Noise R&D. Take that budget realized from that layoff, and add the funding/headcount to the team responsible for getting parking sensor functionality working ASAP.

Boom.

I KNEW that was coming. the "bUt iTs a DiFfErenT TeAm!"

Here is what a new CEO would do. Reduce the # of resources dedicated to gaming, specifically, to Fart Noise R&D. Take that budget from that layoff, and add it to the team responsible for getting parking sensor functionality working ASAP.

Boom.
Why can't we have both? I like my Netflix, Hulu, and recently added Apple Music on the car. Why do I have to lose those entertainment functions because you think they should all be fired, and money diverted to other departments?

Why can't we have both? I like my Netflix, Hulu, and recently added Apple Music on the car. Why do I have to lose those entertainment functions because you think they should all be fired, and money diverted to other departments?
Notice I did not say "all". Im CERTAIN there is more than just one guy on the entertainment dev team.

But since you mentioned it...WHO IN THE WORLD is sitting in their car playing games so much that there is this much effort (now Steam) being devoted to it? I wish he would do an analysis like he (allegedly) did with lumbar support usage, when he yanked that out. I cant find ANYONE who is regularly sitting in their car for extended time playing video games. And based on persons on this forum, Steam games are laggy to the point of almost inplayeable.

We need a CEO who has better priorities, a more sane mental state, and possibly a steady/stable woman in his life for some balance.

Notice I did not say "all". Im CERTAIN there is more than just one guy on the entertainment dev team.

But since you mentioned it...WHO IN THE WORLD is sitting in their car playing games so much that there is this much effort (now Steam) being devoted to it? I wish he would do an analysis like he (allegedly) did with lumbar support usage, when he yanked that out. I cant find ANYONE who is regularly sitting in their car for extended time playing video games. And based on persons on this forum, Steam games are laggy to the point of almost inplayeable.

We need a CEO who has better priorities, a more sane mental state, and possibly a steady/stable woman in his life for some balance.
I love your dictatorial approach where everyone needs to have the same desires as you, and want the same things as you. It's 2101's world, everyone. We just live in it.

I love your dictatorial approach where everyone needs to have the same desires as you, and want the same things as you. It's 2101's world, everyone. We just live in it.
I just want him to do a poll (since thats how he makes major decisions)...that says "should I devote more resources to parking sensor related functions, or towards fart noise improvements". Then go with the results of that poll.

Is that asking too much?

I just want him to do a poll (since thats how he makes major decisions)...that says "should I devote more resources to parking sensor related functions, or towards fart noise improvements". Then go with the results of that poll.

Is that asking too much?
In your brain, how much resources are being devoted to "fart noise improvements"? Do you imagine teams of people, endless days of meetings, strategy sessions, outside consultants, and government liaisons working on fart noises? It's a few people at most and it takes them a few days. It's probably the same people working on integrating Apple Music, they just took some down time and improved the fart noise system.

BTW - My friend's daughter, and my nephew LOVE the fart noises. Totally unimpressed with my car, but the moment my car farts, they light up. And now it's "UNCLE DEWG IS HERE!!! MAKE IT FART!!!!" I don't mind the little bit of time/effort it took to put in fart noises to watch those kids' faces light up.

In your brain, how much resources are being devoted to "fart noise improvements"? Do you imagine teams of people, endless days of meetings, strategy sessions, outside consultants, and government liaisons working on fart noises? It's a few people at most and it takes them a few days. It's probably the same people working on integrating Apple Music, they just took some down time and improved the fart noise system.

BTW - My friend's daughter, and my nephew LOVE the fart noises. Totally unimpressed with my car, but the moment my car farts, they light up. And now it's "UNCLE DEWG IS HERE!!! MAKE IT FART!!!!" I don't mind the little bit of time/effort it took to put in fart noises to watch those kids' faces light up.
That’s nice.

But I’d rather he do the poll and ask the people what they want. Kinda like the poll that overwhelmingly voted for him to get out of twitter leadership.

In fact, I bet you, there’s a reason why he hasn’t done a similar poll asking if he should step down from Tesla. I think he knows what the poll results would be is why he hasn’t done that poll

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
That’s nice.

But I’d rather he do the poll and ask the people what they want. Kinda like the poll that overwhelmingly voted for him to get out of twitter leadership.

In fact, I bet you, there’s a reason why he hasn’t done a similar poll asking if he should step down from Tesla. I think he knows what the poll results would be is why he hasn’t done that poll
I'd like you to answer the question instead of redirecting it. How much resources do you think are being devoted to fart noises?

It is also entirely possible that most of the fart development was done on the engineer's personal time because they wanted to do something fun.

Beyond the “priorities” discussion, just seems like wishful thinking that a camera which can’t see beyond the hood edge will somehow be able to judge distance to the bumper etc. unless it can bend light too.

Just such a basic feature of even entry level cars that people take for granted these days.
Actually fairly trivial for the pull in case given the occupancy network has object persistence and the camera can see the object as it approaches. There are a few corner cases however (like objects that move into the blind spot or it waking up and pulling out if doesn't have memory that persists through a sleep cycle).

Actually fairly trivial for the pull in case given the occupancy network has object persistence and the camera can see the object as it approaches. There are a few corner cases however (like objects that move into the blind spot or it waking up and pulling out if doesn't have memory that persists through a sleep cycle).
Doesn’t that make significant assumptions? Like the approach is at a constant rate once out of the field of view? Certainly possible someone may tap the brakes etc when getting closer to a wall/etc.