Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla required me to acknowledge no USS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't imagine what you mean... When I pull into my garage and glance at the visualizations on the screen for what FSDb thinks it sees toward the front, I frequently see a semi parked perpendicular to my car, people walking, another car, and a bike. Sometimes they're all mashed together or swapping out as the car moves. 🤣
My car also thinks my wife's Volvo C40 is a semi when I pull into the garage...

My car also thinks my wife's Volvo C40 is a semi when I pull into the garage...

Ha! This is my garage. Space is getting tight with my two Tesla semi's in there.

It's a one car garage.

PXL_20221026_105039527~2.jpg

I just picked up my MYLR a week ago today and it has the USS. I was prepared to remove FSD if they weren't there--or at least I hoped I'd be strong enough to do that. Autopark, Park Assist, Summon and Smart Summon are all disabled until further notice if you don't have USS. They said it was just going to be for a "short time", but given what I've read over the years, "short" can be a very broad term.

If they're so close to figuring it out anyway, why wouldn't they just wait a few weeks or months to start removing the sensors? I was a nervous wreck about it and was so relieved when I walked up to it in the parking lot and saw those sensors.

You do realize there are blind spots correct? 😬😬😬
There is definitely blind spot in the front. There are several junctions in my neighborhood, at the very end of the right turn lane with solid reflector studs, bolts on the road, this is to help with the narrow road after the turn, human driver pay more attention farther away and won’t drive through it, if not paying attention then a new tire/rim is in order. FSDb will drive right through it as if nothing is there. However, I don’t remember whether USS will help though.

There is definitely blind spot in the front. There are several junctions in my neighborhood, at the very end of the right turn lane with solid reflector studs, bolts on the road, this is to help with the narrow road after the turn, human driver pay more attention farther away and won’t drive through it, if not paying attention then a new tire/rim is in order. FSDb will drive right through it as if nothing is there. However, I don’t remember whether USS will help though.

On the visualization screen, there is a yellow then red semi circle that pops up when the USS sensors detect an object.

Maybe a camera located at the front of the car could avoid accidents:

View attachment 869047

This is exactly why school busses are required to have an arm that swings out in front of the bus - to keep kids from darting into the front blind spot where the driver can’t see them.

The front blind spot is somewhat better with Teslas because the hoods slope downwards. The SUVs all have big, square noses that effectively maximize the blind spot. If you’re a shorter driver it will be that much worse since you’re sitting lower. The front cameras on Teslas are at the very top of the windshield, the best possible place to minimize a blind spot.

Reactions: Watts_Up
FWIW when I picked up my 2022 with USS and old cameras all the 2023 cars on the lot also had USS and old cameras. M3s had no USS and new cameras. VINs for the 2023s I checked were a mix of PF58X and PF59X.

My guess is new cameras will show up on non-USS cars.

Also none of the 2023s had Matrix lights. Not sure about cargo covers (my 2022 didn't have one).

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about the little road reflectors or concave circle dots on the road surface, not large obstacles when you park.

The question was if uss will help identity objects in your blind spot. It will. It shows red lines like that when there is something in front of you. When if is something small it’s not a complete line but just a curved line.

The question was if uss will help identity objects in your blind spot. It will. It shows red lines like that when there is something in front of you. When if is something small it’s not a complete line but just a curved line.
I never seen anything like that. I have to see it to believe it, the car is driving 30 mph and it is at the front of the car just a few feet. All I can see it Is a clear lane to turn, never shown any curved line or anything remotely like that. Again this is just a road stud, if it is shown then you should see it on every road you traveled whether it is next or in front of you. Again I am on MS not MY, so may be there is a differences, or you can try put couple of Big Macs in front of the car to see if it will give you a red curve :)

Last edited:
Hey! Once one of your with no USS and EAP or FSD Beta takes delivery PLEASE try auto parking and report back please :)
AutoPark is disabled until further notice. ie whenever Tesla figures out how to use Vision to Park.

Also disabled is Park Assist, Summon and Smart Summon. So until Tesla enables these features again we will just have to wait and see.
All I know is I'm so glad I have the USS for now as I didn't realize how tight my garage was going to be for the MY. Those sensors have been a big help so far.