Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Rip Off- Full Self Driving

Is it fair Tesla is selling full self driving when it is nowhere near a reality?

• Yes

Votes: 106 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 180 64.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a great purchase experience but a terrible delivery experience.
I had some bad issues after delivery, but Tesla stepped up and gave me a fully loaded MX P100D as a free loaner for a couple of months until they resolved it.
I hit a dead end for another significant issue, and someone on this forum stepped in and used a contact at Tesla who was able to resolve it.
I've had a couple of issues with flats, but Tesla fixed one for free and the other for a very reasonable charge, both in real time as I waited.

Free supercharging, free delivery and pickup for service, equivalent level Tesla free loaners, no questions asked free repairs, all of these things were a reality when I bought the car, and they offset the various issues I had to deal with.

My Tesla experience is a classic love/hate. Something bad happens but eventually Tesla makes a diving catch. Or I can't get a call back for a month, but then eventually I get the resolution I hoped for. It always seems to be the worst or the best experience, nothing in between. With Tesla, it's all or nothing, and if Tesla continues to scale back the "all" part, what are we left with?

They also lied to me same way but also said my late December 2016 S would have AP1 features on delivery or by December 31 2016 at the latest.

Tesla has issues with honesty. It makes it impossible to do business with them again or strongly recommend them to friends. There is a reason demand is dying despite all levers being pulled.
My tune has changed so much since I first bought the model s in 2014. I raved and tried convincing everyone who asked that this was the car of the future manufactured by a fantastic company that’s poised to change the world.
Fast forward 5 years and now
There’s no way I can recommend any family members or close friends to purchase a Tesla
Many have asked, I just tell them they need to do a lot of research if they want a Tesla.
I make sure they know of teslas many broken promises

It’s truly sad. I really want tesla to succeed but it seems like they’re doing their best to fail

Also my car only has ap1 and I “knew” it would never accomplish any of the things the sales rep was saying it would.

My tune has changed so much since I first bought the model s in 2014. I raved and tried convincing everyone who asked that this was the car of the future manufactured by a fantastic company that’s poised to change the world.
There’s no way I can recommend any family members or close friends to purchase a Tesla
Many have asked, I just tell them they need to do a lot of research if they want a Tesla.

It’s truly sad. I really want tesla to succeed but it seems like they’re doing their best to fail

Also my car only has ap1 and I “knew” it would never accomplish any of the things the sales rep was saying it would.
Hmm. I bought my first Model S in 2014. One of the first AP1 vehicles. I still tell everyone they should get a Tesla. I know of no broken promises, although I know of many hopeful expectations that haven't been fulfilled. My Teslas continue to be the best vehicles I've ever driven, by far. And they keep getting better!

Seriously, if you don't get a Tesla then what piece of junk are you going to drive instead? There are no options. Just go in to owning a Tesla with your eyes open. Love it for what it is today, not for what you imagine it may become.

That’s too bad. I can understand your frustration if you purchased Autopilot based on future “features” that never came to fruition.

When I purchased mine in 2017, I didn’t buy FSD or even AP for that matter because I only buy what something can do AT THAT TIME. I have found that this is a much better way to go and not become disappointed by a broken “promise”. So everything my car now does today from updates is a bonus. The only unknown I have at this time is the yellowing border. Other than that, I couldn’t be happier with the vehicle after 30k miles.

Hmm. I bought my first Model S in 2014. One of the first AP1 vehicles. I still tell everyone they should get a Tesla. I know of no broken promises, although I know of many hopeful expectations that haven't been fulfilled. My Teslas continue to be the best vehicles I've ever driven, by far. And they keep getting better!

Seriously, if you don't get a Tesla then what piece of junk are you going to drive instead? There are no options. Just go in to owning a Tesla with your eyes open. Love it for what it is today, not for what you imagine it may become.
Oh yeah they sure are getting better! That v9 update that took away a perfectly working maps app that displayed real time traffic and turned it into a useless POS sure made my car “better”

Plus don’t forget fart mode!

Oh yeah they sure are getting better! That v9 update that took away a perfectly working maps app that displayed real time traffic and turned it into a useless POS sure made my car “better”

It would be nice if we could select the UI preferences. I’m not a fan of fart mode but many people are.

Reactions: AMPd

Two steps forward, one step back. V9 is far superior to V8 in most respects. Fart mode? Seriously? If you don't like it, ignore it. See how easy it is? There were a bunch of people who whined about v8 ruining things compared to V7 too. My memory is that you've been complaining from day one about this and that. If you don't like your car you should get something else you'll like better.

But my feeling is that the things people complain about with their Teslas are trivial compared to the things they complain about with other cars.

Two steps forward, one step back. V9 is far superior to V8 in most respects. Fart mode? Seriously? If you don't like it, ignore it. See how easy it is? There were a bunch of people who whined about v8 ruining things compared to V7 too. My memory is that you've been complaining from day one about this and that. If you don't like your car you should get something else you'll like better.

But my feeling is that the things people complain about with their Teslas are trivial compared to the things they complain about with other cars.
Will do.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

Seriously, if you don't get a Tesla then what piece of junk are you going to drive instead? There are no options. Just go in to owning a Tesla
Two steps forward, one step back. V9 is far superior to V8 in most respects.
Please enlighten me on how exactly v9 is superior on my MCU1/AP1 car? There is NOTHING useful v9 does that v8 didn't, there are plenty of things v9 does worse or not at all. Unless of course you count fart mode and Atari games as the useful thing worth trading all the other functionality and usability for. Oh, there is one feature which sounds useful, ability to turn on heated seats and heated steering wheel, however it doesn't work - I can click it in the app, looks like it's on, even when I get to the car it shows as on, but the heater is not actually enabled, I have to turn it off and back on while in the car.

Anyways, back to you, what exactly makes v9 superior for MCU1/AP1 or non-AP cars? If you're going to make such a statement, please back it up at least with some examples.

That's why they ceased EAP, because it had all the features of FSD included for free. AP now does not include them, so you actually need to purchase FSD and at least get something for it now (summon, autopilot, self-park), rather than waiting for something nebulous in the future.

That's why they ceased EAP, because it had all the features of FSD included for free. AP now does not include them, so you actually need to purchase FSD and at least get something for it now (summon, autopilot, self-park), rather than waiting for something nebulous in the future.

I’d prefer the pricing was as follows:

1. TACC - comes with vehicle (and lower base price.)
2. Auto steer/auto parallel park - 2k
3. Navigate on Autopilot/summon/FSD - 3k

Anyways, back to you, what exactly makes v9 superior for MCU1/AP1 or non-AP cars? If you're going to make such a statement, please back it up at least with some examples.

Sorry I can't do that in any authoritative manner, as I no longer own my MCU1/AP1 Model S. I can say that people I know who still have such Teslas are generally not complaining, but that's not specific. When I hear just a few people making a big stink, I usually figure it's the people who are the problem, but that's not much to go on either. So I'll concede to your personal experience.

If you want to point me to a thread which discusses the differences between V8 and V9 for MCU1/AP1 or non-AP Teslas, I'll be happy to read and learn.

• Disagree
Reactions: am_dmd
Sorry I can't do that in any authoritative manner, as I no longer own my MCU1/AP1 Model S. I can say that people I know who still have such Teslas are generally not complaining, but that's not specific. When I hear just a few people making a big stink, I usually figure it's the people who are the problem, but that's not much to go on either. So I'll concede to your personal experience.

If you want to point me to a thread which discusses the differences between V8 and V9 for MCU1/AP1 or non-AP Teslas, I'll be happy to read and learn.
I am a Tesla lover. However, they do so much as a company, so differently it does defy logic. Their massive price adjusts on Model S and X with no meaningful refresh in sight. A loaded every option Model S is now $108k down from over $160K 2 years ago. I had a 2015 Model S with AP1, smooth as silk and SAFE. My AP2 "FSD" car is much more erratic with phantom braking and pulsing speed changes. My wife will NOT let me use Navigate on AutoPilot. I think it is cool, but TOTALLY lacks situational awareness. I have to intervene majorly everyday to prevent crashes or violent swerves. The software is not close to safe autonomous driving. It is an awesome enhanced cruise control and we, the public are willing Beta testers. This feature is one that Tesla needs to really regulate carefully, testing with test drivers and then the public. As other car companies push harder into EV's these could be bigger issues. I drove the Audi E-tron yesterday, amazing vehicle, quieter, incredible interior, better "fun Tech" (HUD, carplay, 3D top view cameras, blindspot, etc), but only 200 mile range, no real charging network and slower. I am ranting at this point, but I just want Tesla to start delivering and stop over-promising...

Reactions: Gesteur and Inside
I keep getting OTA software updates, and frankly can't tell the difference....except that it now has a high-pitched whine while off. Other than that, I just assume everything that was broken before (like the browser), remains so. I just want the thing to start and get me to where I'm going. I keep my expectations low.

Now, if I can only schedule service without the need to be a retiree that has Monday mornings free at a service center that is over 1 hour away.

Well, you can find a number of threads here on TMC including this one dedicated to non-AP cars. Plenty of information how v9 is slow, killed the browser, hard/dangerous using while driving, erc. That said, maybe you should have done some of that searching and reading before proclaiming v9 to be superior to v8? Making a statement something is superior and using "I can't say why, but prove me wrong" sounds backwards.

• Love
Reactions: am_dmd and P85_DA
If you don't like your car you should get something else you'll like better.

Agreed, and exactly what many of us will do.

That's not the question though. The question is: Should Tesla take steps to acknowledge the specific issues driving that behavior, and encourage us to reconsider? Or is just milking fanbois forever a viable business model? It might be, I honestly dunno.

Reactions: am_dmd
Agreed, and exactly what many of us will do.

That's not the question though. The question is: Should Tesla take steps to acknowledge the specific issues driving that behavior, and encourage us to reconsider? Or is just milking fanbois forever a viable business model? It might be, I honestly dunno.
At the rate Tesla is ramping, older cars are quickly becoming a trivially small percentage of their fleet. It works just like other high tech stuff -- after a few years you have to upgrade to newer hardware if you don't want to be left behind. Today's hot new stuff will soon be obsolete as well. As soon as they start building in direct StarLink connectivity then every vehicle out there will be yesterday's news. There are probably a bunch of other similar changes coming. Different ownership model -- it's not a car, it's a gadget on wheels.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Well, you can find a number of threads here on TMC including this one dedicated to non-AP cars. Plenty of information how v9 is slow, killed the browser, hard/dangerous using while driving, erc. That said, maybe you should have done some of that searching and reading before proclaiming v9 to be superior to v8? Making a statement something is superior and using "I can't say why, but prove me wrong" sounds backwards.
I see improvements mentioned (FM direct tune, nav from phone, ignore toll roads and HOV lanes, speed limiter). This is certainly more than nothing. Also, I see a fair amount of "I hate the new UI" which you get no matter how you change the UI. Some people see to like the addition of games. The early bugs seem to have gotten fixed, and the camera on top issue resolved to most people's satisfaction. Also, some newer improvements seem to have gone in as well. I'm afraid I'm not seeing that V9 was a downgrade.

In any case, the complaint I responded to was just "some feature changed in V9 and that sucks", not MC1/AP1 was impacted in a particularly bad way. So I don't see that I needed to go research something irrelevant in order to respond.

Reactions: EinSV