Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rolling out new safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love - That Tesla is actively working on safety of manual driving (or with TACC) despite the fact that AP is compared directly to crash statistics of manual driving in a Tesla. So this will reduce the safety margin of AP over manual driving in a Tesla by making manual driving more safe. So that's pretty cool.

Like - That the first feature can be permanently disabled.

Dislike - That the Emergency lane departure avoidance can't be turned off permanently. It's simply not something I wish to have my car do. The human driver should be allowed to do what's necessary to avoid or mitigate an accident. I'll have to test it, but hopefully it gets overridden easily by steering torque.

bingo. Exactly my sentiment especially about emergency lane departure. If I have a choice of driving manually the way I've been doing for over 700,000 miles without an accident or trusting a new feature that comes out today that I have to actively disable every time I drive the car ????? I'll trust my experience first and not want that update.

So when can I get a feature that detects my wife putting on her makeup while driving and warns her by constantly honking the horn till she stops? :eek:

It says it will try to steer you back when it thinks you are "close to the edge of the road" ...

I don't have confidence that the system will always be reliable and know better than me. A few months ago another nanny feature, the "obstacle aware acceleration", almost got me into an accident because the car suddenly didn't want to accelerate anymore even though I was not about to hit anything.
Then don’t turn it on

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
I'm also unclear what the difference between the two is. Sounds like Emergency lane assist will still engage even if you have lane assist off if it detects a possible collision? Perhaps they anticipate enough people not keeping lane assist on, but in the event of a possible collision, emergency lane assist will still intervene.

Nice info, is this update only for the model 3 that's got AP? or even the one without autopilot/FSD as well?

Should be for all Model 3s considering it's a safety feature which Elon mentioned would always be free and for all.

Last edited:
Hrm... daily in my commute I will pull to the side and sometimes into the shoulder to give motor cycles more room to pass. This worries me.

Also what about a car drifting towards me that I need to swerve out of my lane to avoid.

I have positive and negative feelings about this.

Positive - I believe the Tesla fleet is getting more and more safe everyday. I love being apart of a family such as this.

Negative - Its amazing how many new features are rolling out for "free" to what looks like something that would be a part of a paid package.

Oh well. I can get over the negative by just focusing on the positive at this point.

Good for Tesla.
Safety features are free.

Hrm... daily in my commute I will pull to the side and sometimes into the shoulder to give motor cycles more room to pass. This worries me.

Also what about a car drifting towards me that I need to swerve out of my lane to avoid.

If it's similar to other cars with this tech, it should be able to detect if you're intentionally going over the lane with blinkers off vs slowly drifting out of the lane while the steering wheel isn't turning. We'll only really know once the feature goes public and gets tested.

Reactions: bshap73
Hahahhaha so cutting edge! Kind of a joke... Maybe we'll get rear cross traffic detection in another decade.

I've had these features on fairly basic cars for over 10 years now.

My Infiniti EX35 from 2008 had both and it actually worked flawlessly.

At least Tesla is giving us these features which any car in this price point should have had a long time ago.

Uhm, when e.g. a kid or a deer pops up in front of you, you'll probably not set the blinker before you swerve over the edge of the road to avoid a crash.
That’s the point. Using your turn signal informs AP (and other drivers) of your intention. Current software behaves similarly with the activation of lane departure warning (i.e. no steering wheel vibration upon turn signal activation).

I think you guys are overestimating how intrusive emergency lane departure avoidance will be. How often do you activate automatic emergency braking? This is a safety feature so it can be very conservative about when it intervenes. Even if it only prevents 50% of lane departure accidents it would be a huge safety benefit.

Yes and no. I’m sure a few of us have experienced this feature since it was already somewhat available in instances when Autopilot was recently disabled and TACC was still activated.

I saw it often when attempting use the shoulder to pothole dodge or follow construction barriers. Despite persistent driver input, the system is not intuitive enough to realize that this was a purposeful maneuver I wanted to perform. Pretty persistent and aggressive with it too. At least in that situation a quick brake tap would allow you to shut it off.

Agree with above. If default is on, should allow for rapid disabling by user input (a brake tap, acceleration etc) otherwise I could see this feature harming safety more than augmenting it.

That’s the point. Using your turn signal informs AP (and other drivers) of your intention. Current software behaves similarly with the activation of lane departure warning (i.e. no steering wheel vibration upon turn signal activation).
I think you don't understand. I'm talking about emergency maneuvers. Nobody sets a blinker when frantically trying to avoid a crash.

But let's see how sensitive it is and how easy or hard it is to override the car's corrective action.

I think you don't understand. I'm talking about emergency maneuvers. Nobody sets a blinker when frantically trying to avoid a crash.

But let's see how sensitive it is and how easy or hard it is to override the car's corrective action.
Yes, and again, I don't put my blinker on when I move over and often cross shoulder line to give way to motorcycle in stop and go traffic. Sometimes I even do this when going 60mph and the bike still wants to zoom past traffic. But guess I'll find out.