Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla safety score dictates driving time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the new Tesla Safety Score now penalizes driver for driving between 10pm and 4am. That seems absurd since traffic is a lot less during those hours. I am now being penalized for driving at mid night to Super Charger when the charging rate is the lowest. What do people feel about that?

The reason Tesla has added this as a safety factor is that driving at night can be more dangerous due to reduced visibility, tiredness, and distractions.

I live in SF Bay Are. The place where I live visibility doesn't change between 8pm and mid night or even at 4am. How can you get more distractions during the hours when there is little or no traffic. Try hopping on the freeway at 2am vs 8am. It makes no sense. As for tiredness, Tesla is assuming everyone goes to sleep and wake up early, so people must be sleepy at late night, right? I am retired so I don't get up early anymore. Staying up late is norm to me now. In fact, I tend to go to Safeway at night for grocery shopping so I don't need to wait in line to pay. Especially, during pandemic when I tried to avoid big crowd. Safety score should be rated on driving style and habbits (speeding, hard cornering, hard braking, etc), not the time of the day you drive.

• Disagree
Reactions: Beyond and AlexHung
I have noticed that the new Tesla Safety Score now penalizes driver for driving between 10pm and 4am. That seems absurd since traffic is a lot less during those hours. I am now being penalized for driving at mid night to Super Charger when the charging rate is the lowest. What do people feel about that?
I think tesla intends to fine tune the algorithm so that the insurance business minimizes losses.

However this seems quite anti-freedom/totalitarian to me and seems to want to reward the serfs of the insurance company aka people who are willing to curtail their freedom of movement to avoid being penalized. Fortunately, this can't be considered for premium changes in CA (so far).

I am a night owl and on many occasions /commonly driven late night to get out of the house/clear my mind. Additionally, recently I have been going to the supercharger after 12 (when I need to) to take advantage of the lower rates - (I normally try to charge in my apartment) - given the high (obnoxious?) rate of .57/kwh during peak hours.
I know, people may say: why should the insurance company cover your risky late night driving -- my response -- I would prefer to not share my driving details with tesla and not get a discount and instead pay lump sum (higher) rate. If tesla says that this the only way they will give me insurance, I will look elsewhere. If all companies decide that this is the only way they will give insurance for teslas/similar cars - I would conisder that to be a dystopia and nothing to be proud/comfortable about. (however, all my personal views and others may think differently).

Also imho making money as an instrument in these type of problems is a path to dehumanize the economically weak and allow the well off to essentially buy their freedom of movement (in the name of paying for taking higher risks)

(as an aside):
I understand that the supercharger division does not want to run at a loss - but -- .57/kwh if compared to gallon equivalent - 1 gge (gas gallon equivalent) = 33.4 kwh - comes to $18.9/gallon —- which in my view is not a great trend - particularly if tesla becomes a charging monopoly. From the overall trend of charging providers, like the broken ones in my apartment which have little to no probability of getting fixed -- does not look like ChargePoint, EVGo, Electrify America etc are serious about the charging business :)

Last edited:
I understand that the supercharger division does not want to run at a loss - but -- .57/kwh if compared to gallon equivalent - 1 gge (gas gallon equivalent) = 33.4 kwh - comes to $18.9/gallon

You math is a bit off. Let’s assume your car consumes 250 wH/mi, this equals 4-miles per kWh, which comes to $0.14 / mile ($0.57 kWh / 4 miles). Now let’s look at gas at say $3.50 / gallon and a car that gets 25 MPG, this also equals $0.14 / mile.

Using your numbers, 33.4 kWh (33.4 kWh * $0.57 = $19) will get you 133 miles. At 25 MPG you will need the equivalent of 5.3 gallons of gas, which at $3.50 /gal is $18.70 total.

And of course commercial rates cannot be compared to home rates. The cost per kWh in a commerical setting is MUCH greater than in your home. And then there is an up-charge to recover installation and ongoing maintenance.

Reactions: Niroc and chot2022
I think tesla intends to fine tune the algorithm so that the insurance business minimizes losses.

However this seems quite anti-freedom/totalitarian to me and seems to want to reward the serfs of the insurance company aka people who are willing to curtail their freedom of movement to avoid being penalized. Fortunately, this can't be considered for premium changes in CA (so far).

I am a night owl and on many occasions /commonly driven late night to get out of the house/clear my mind. Additionally, recently I have been going to the supercharger after 12 (when I need to) to take advantage of the lower rates - (I normally try to charge in my apartment) - given the high (obnoxious?) rate of .57/kwh during peak hours.
I know, people may say: why should the insurance company cover your risky late night driving -- my response -- I would prefer to not share my driving details with tesla and not get a discount and instead pay lump sum (higher) rate. If tesla says that this the only way they will give me insurance, I will look elsewhere. If all companies decide that this is the only way they will give insurance for teslas/similar cars - I would conisder that to be a dystopia and nothing to be proud/comfortable about. (however, all my personal views and others may think differently).

Also imho making money as an instrument in these type of problems is a path to dehumanize the economically weak and allow the well off to essentially buy their freedom of movement (in the name of paying for taking higher risks)

(as an aside):
I understand that the supercharger division does not want to run at a loss - but -- .57/kwh if compared to gallon equivalent - 1 gge (gas gallon equivalent) = 33.4 kwh - comes to $18.9/gallon —- which in my view is not a great trend - particularly if tesla becomes a charging monopoly. From the overall trend of charging providers, like the broken ones in my apartment which have little to no probability of getting fixed -- does not look like ChargePoint, EVGo, Electrify America etc are serious about the charging business :)
to add - another philosophical point -- "accelerating advent of sustainable energy" is a statement of social good. So just like individuals, companies also have social responsibilities. Some forget or are forced to forget (survival/other issues) - and concentrate on profit. Tesla could consider/weigh the social good/ill v profit/loss and find a balance and not just use statistics/formulae to decide these things.

I'm not an insurance expert - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express earlier this year. So, grains of salt please:

I'd hazard that with all of the drunk and tired folks out on the roads in the hours we're talking about, the incidents/accidents per mile driven are *way* higher than they are during normal waking hours. Sure, there are almost no cars out on the roads, but then it only takes a few accidents to blow that number out of the water. And since the safety score is about, well, safety, if you're out late you are by definition taking part in a riskier endeavor. You're not as "safe."

Hey, I could be wrong. But I've only had one near head-on on a freeway and that was at about 3:30AM on my way to work. I won't put the video, but the screenshot from the forward camera should be good enough. I was on Autopilot at 67 MPH, this image is just as I began to head to the right and towards the weeds; you can tell that I'm already headed that way. BTW, the M3 handled awesomely. Scared the you-know-what out of me, but I was left with a great appreciation for the handling of the car.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 18.18.39.png

You math is a bit off. Let’s assume your car consumes 250 wH/mi, this equals 4-miles per kWh, which comes to $0.14 / mile ($0.57 kWh / 4 miles). Now let’s look at gas at say $3.50 / gallon and a car that gets 25 MPG, this also equals $0.14 / mile.

Using your numbers, 33.4 kWh (33.4 kWh * $0.57 = $19) will get you 133 miles. At 25 MPG you will need the equivalent of 5.3 gallons of gas, which at $3.50 /gal is $18.70 total.

And of course commercial rates cannot be compared to home rates. The cost per kWh in a commerical setting is MUCH greater than in your home. And then there is an up-charge to recover installation and ongoing maintenance.
Yes - totally agree --
I'm not an insurance expert - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express earlier this year. So, grains of salt please:

I'd hazard that with all of the drunk and tired folks out on the roads in the hours we're talking about, the incidents/accidents per mile driven are *way* higher than they are during normal waking hours. Sure, there are almost no cars out on the roads, but then it only takes a few accidents to blow that number out of the water. And since the safety score is about, well, safety, if you're out late you are by definition taking part in a riskier endeavor. You're not as "safe."

Hey, I could be wrong. But I've only had one near head-on on a freeway and that was at about 3:30AM on my way to work. I won't put the video, but the screenshot from the forward camera should be good enough. I was on Autopilot at 67 MPH, this image is just as I began to head to the right and towards the weeds; you can tell that I'm already headed that way. BTW, the M3 handled awesomely. Scared the you-know-what out of me, but I was left with a great appreciation for the handling of the car.

View attachment 881178
wow… what did the M3 do as evasive action?

View attachment 881178

I suspect it is beyond the drunk driver issue. The cut off time is 10pm which is highly suspicious and it makes many people violate the safety score. That means most people won't have a good safety score which allows Tesla insurance to charge more, except in California where Tesla safety score can't be used to increase premium at the moment.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
That is correct and seems like a scam way to penalize drivers. Since they cannot find any other way.

I live in SF Bay Are. The place where I live visibility doesn't change between 8pm and mid night or even at 4am. How can you get more distractions during the hours when there is little or no traffic. Try hopping on the freeway at 2am vs 8am. It makes no sense. As for tiredness, Tesla is assuming everyone goes to sleep and wake up early, so people must be sleepy at late night, right? I am retired so I don't get up early anymore. Staying up late is norm to me now. In fact, I tend to go to Safeway at night for grocery shopping so I don't need to wait in line to pay. Especially, during pandemic when I tried to avoid big crowd. Safety score should be rated on driving style and habbits (speeding, hard cornering, hard braking, etc), not the time of the day you drive.
Agreed

That's why long haul truckers like to run at night. Less traffic means lower chance of getting hit and more distance per hour driven. I guess that the Tesla Semi will never run Tesla Insurance. Oh yeah, Giga Whatever wants that load at the door by 4:00 am.

Reactions: Beyond