Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla saved the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered my self as a more conservative driver where I look over my shoulder when changing lane follow by a quick peek at the screen to make sure no cars in my blind spot. It had been serving me well until yesterday on the way home. I was engaged in a conversation with the passenger and just looked over the shoulder without the 2nd look at the screen.

There was a car to my left that was in a perfect blind spot and I didn't see. I was proceeding to change lane, fair enough, the Tesla detected (no AP nor FSD engaged) and all the sirens just went off to get my attention. I swiftly reacted and avoided a collision. Phew, thank goodness for those sensors.

Tesla saves the day.

When you say siren, what do you mean? Were you already make the lane switch? I’ve seen the cars turning red on the screen that are in my blind spot when signaling for a lane change, but it never made any sounds.
It will only make a sound (loud beeps) when you are steering the car towards the other vehicle. Too late IMHO, it should do that immediately when you use the indicator.

Reactions: pilotSteve
This is the best solution:

"...when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system..."

This is the best solution:

"...when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system..."

Yep. Your side doors are not going any where. No need to see them in your mirror.

Tesla did it job sounding the alarm when I was driving in a stop-and-go situation on the freeway yesterday. The car in front made a (somewhat) sudden stop, and I was not paying attention. Tesla made loud alarm sound as it thought I would have rear-ended (and my wife also jelled at the same time!), but it did not have to engage the emergency brake yet since I stepped on the brake first!

Reactions: Eric9610
That was $150 more than just adjusting your mirrors correctly.
Certainly there is a degree of subjective preference on mirror adjustments, rather than a single "correct" setting. I trailer often and have learned to rely 100% on my side mirrors for rear situational awareness. I like the side mirrors to show both the edge of my car and cover my blind spot. The Suma mirrors do that, where an adjustment of the mirror would lose one of the two.

Personally, even before trailering, I didn't like the driver's mirror set so wide that it covered the blind spot. It is hard to judge how much of an uncovered region between what the mirror sees and edge of the adjacent lane immediately behind. The spot can easily be large enough for a motorcycle to fit. I want a complete view with the edge of my car as a reference.