Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Saves a Hit and Run Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny - I've noticed that FSD has no problem passing on the right. I see it time and time again where an FSD car passes and 18-wheeler on the right. In NJ, the trucks will nudge into your lane if you try that. I'm guessing FSD wouldn't honk the horn and flash a finger as it speed up to get out of the way. :D

Back to this thread, though, congrats to the OP for doing a stand up thing. I hope that hit-and-run driver gets nailed.
Really? Why? You're supposed to stay right, except to pass, but if the vehicle in the left lane is going slow, what are you supposed to do, cross two lanes to your left to pass a vehicle that shouldn't be to the left of you to begin with?

Having lived in NJ for a few years what I wanna know is if autopilot will drive on the shoulder lol

There could be a whole thread about NJ drivers. I figure I have about a million miles after 40 years of commuting here and I think I've seen it all. Road rage, chases, fist-fights at the GSP tollbooth, shoulder-driving, drunk-driving, overturned vehicles, car fires, police chases and one of the funniest - two drivers merging (2 lanes into one) in a traffic jam and neither would yield, so they slowly collided. Can't make this stuff up. You know the motto of NJ drivers: "We don't use turn signals - it gives away our next move!"

good for you to stay behind, you shall receive good karma back. This is why it is outmost important to install flash usb drive or dashcam. These things dont happen often here in USA? but in other countries like Russia, it is almost mandatory to have one?

There could be a whole thread about NJ drivers. I figure I have about a million miles after 40 years of commuting here and I think I've seen it all. Road rage, chases, fist-fights at the GSP tollbooth, shoulder-driving, drunk-driving, overturned vehicles, car fires, police chases and one of the funniest - two drivers merging (2 lanes into one) in a traffic jam and neither would yield, so they slowly collided. Can't make this stuff up. You know the motto of NJ drivers: "We don't use turn signals - it gives away our next move!"

My favorite (or, well, almost death-inducing..) Route 495 coming out of NYC towards the Turnpike... took the exit ramp down to 1-9 Southbound - big spiral ramp down, right? Get about halfway down and a big white Econoline van comes blowing by me doing about 50mph - UP the exit ramp! How the heck I didn't die that day in a head-on collision is for a higher power to understand.

Welcome to Jersey. If FSD works here, it'll work anywhere.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
In traffic that doesn't apply.
Traffic jams are caused and accelerated by just a few people doing the wrong thing - such as clogging up the passing lane. This is called the accordian effect. https://www.researchgate.net/public..._physical_mechanism_of_the_formation_of_a_jam

Especially in this video, all 3 rightmost lanes were constantly moving. All 4 lanes would move even more smoothly if people adhered to the same rule.

The collision involved the white car that was stopped immediately behind a civic and a black car. What was ahead of them? A huge gap to the next car, with another large gap ahead of that. This lack of uniformity ramps up the entropy and exacerbates the accordian

Traffic jams are caused and accelerated by just a few people doing the wrong thing - such as clogging up the passing lane. This is called the accordian effect. https://www.researchgate.net/public..._physical_mechanism_of_the_formation_of_a_jam

Especially in this video, all 3 rightmost lanes were constantly moving. All 4 lanes would move even more smoothly if people adhered to the same rule.

The collision involved the white car that was stopped immediately behind a civic and a black car. What was ahead of them? A huge gap to the next car, with another large gap ahead of that. This lack of uniformity ramps up the entropy and exacerbates the accordian

So ALL traffics are caused by that? How about when there's just too much cars? Do you expect no one to use the left lane when there's traffic? LOL

Even in Germany, where people follow their "no hugging left lane" laws, they fill the left lanes in traffic jams.

So ALL traffics are caused by that? How about when there's just too much cars? Do you expect no one to use the left lane when there's traffic? LOL

Even in Germany, where people follow their "no hugging left lane" laws, they fill the left lanes in traffic jams.

It's a jam when cars are slowed to a crawl.

The average speed over the duration of that video is 40-45mph, and the car didnt stop once. LOL

Yep, if you look at the original video of the accident, there's definitely some accordianing going on in the left passing lane.