Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says 7-13 miles range loss per day is normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I then use my Flir thermal camera to see where are those 142W power consumed, I found out that the instrument panel is the hottest spot, and the heat penetrate to the front that can be seen by opening the frank(see photo below).
View attachment 256654

That heat in the corner is not from the instrument cluster. It's from the relays that are right there under the cover and draw current all the time, creating heat. Pop the cover off and you can see two hot spots.

I know this is a smart car but the drain is just so high. Imagine this was a first gen i3 or a leaf. The drain would be in the region of 10-15% of total range a day. Hopefully some of this can be fixed in future firmware updates.

I am still losing .5 miles every hour, 12+ miles per day. everything like always connected, preconditioning is either shut off or disengaged. and there are no 3rd party apps trying to wake the car.
Just a thought - I seem to recall reports of excessive loss when the 12V was beginning to fail; it needed to top off more often. Has it always done this or is it worse than is used to be? Is your car old enough for a 12V issue? (Strike that last question, apparently any 12V can fail.)

Had my Model X since December 2016. Ever since, it drops 3-4 miles a night, which represents 5-10 miles of loss a day. On average, it drops 7.0 miles a day. This is in a 65 degree F garage.

Taken it to Tesla twice now. They say that "Tesla engineering specifications found the vehicle performing adequately with an anticipated daily 3%-5% stationary range consumption."

On a 90 battery, this is 7-13 miles. On a 100 Model S, this would be more like 17 miles.

So Tesla says it's normal to fully discharge itself in under 3 weeks. Keep this in mind when parking it somewhere
You are working yourself up and making unsubstantiated extrapolations.
First, the 5% isn’t what most people define as “normal”. Beyond 5% is likely the level beyond which Tesla will consider out of the ordinary and will look into it.
So 5% is the top end. The average, as reported by many here, is much less.
It may be poorly worded, as I also would be very surprised if that changed between different battery sizes. I would suggest raising that question with a service tech.

Tesla did not say it was normal to discharge completely in three weeks. Don’t panic.

By day 5 I had lost 9 miles of range. That means if the rate never changed it would take 231 days to drain from the 90% charge I started with. This does not seem excessive at all for a car with Always Connected still turned on. If the rates some are talking about in this thread are happening in moderate temperates with smart precondition off, energy saving on, always connected off, remote access off, and the keys all in a Faraday cage of some sort, something is just plain broken. Might be the 12 volt battery, or one of the modules, or the HV pack. Doesn't matter, at that point it is entirely on Tesla to correct.

I find find that when the car goes into sleep mode the drain is often close to 0 but can be as high as 5 miles in a day although that's extremely rare. 1.5 miles a day is probably about average.
In Idle mode the drains about 0.5 miles per hour which is in line with what some are complaining about.
For a while I was having problems with the car not going to sleep and thus the drain was pretty crazy. It turns out that it was Teslafi that was hitting the car and never letting it sleep. I fixed a couple of settings and now it sleeps fine although there have been some changes since an upgrade a bit back. At night the car sleeps for an hour then idles for 5 minutes and then back to sleeping for an hour. After 12 hours of this it'll just go back to sleep and stay asleep.