Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC 75KW vs EVGo vs Electrifyamerica

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Southern New England is blanketed with SC's. You can easily live in Stamford using only SCs,

In Stamford there are Ridgeway Shopping Plaza 12 urban (72kW) , North Stamford 8 V2 (150kW - intersection of Merritt and High Ridge) and I-95 Darien Rest stop 32 V3 (250kW - 16 each north/south).

While there are a lot of SC options, there a very few public L2 Chargers. There are 10 L2(J1772) in the downtown area parking garages, but they are heavily used and I would not depend on them for regular charging. The Ferguson library has 2 plugs. Starting to see some Volta L2/CCS stations in norwalk but have not used or know much about them.

Electrify America has 1 location at the Ridgeway shopping plaza with 7 CCS plugs. Assume at most 2 are 350kW and the rest are 150kw. I don't know how busy (or reliable) they are but starting to see more non-tesla EVs in lower Fairfield. EA has only two other locations in Fairfield county, Trumbull and Bridgeport and Stamford is the only reliable CCS fast charger on this stretch of I-95.

EVGo has 1 station in the Ridgeway with 1 CCS plug. I would not consider EVGo as their stations appear to be limited to 50kW.

Costs - Tesla SC raised prices in CT and are now $0.46/Kw. EA is $0.43/kW or $0.31/Kw+$4 monthly fee. For reference, using EA monthly plan would save you $35/mth, based on 1,000 mi/mth and 257Wh/mi (lifetime average for our M3)

To use EA or any CCS Fast Charger you will need a third party CCS adapter (Tesla does not sell a CCS Adapter). Not sure what the cost or adapter availabilty is these days, but there are plenty of threads on the CCS adapter.

Good Luck, welcome to the Tesla Family and enjoy the Grins!

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
Completely relying on external charging as home charging not available : Tesla SC(75KW) vs EVGo vs Electrifyamerica

Which one is better any drawbacks?
Check the 75kwh prices you might find them to be less expensive. I used one in Greenbrae, California (just north of San Francisco) last month which was $0.23 per kWh (at night) and the nearby 150kwh stations were $0.40

Check the 75kwh prices you might find them to be less expensive. I used one in Greenbrae, California (just north of San Francisco) last month which was $0.23 per kWh (at night) and the nearby 150kwh stations were $0.40
Charging rate is measured in kW (I'm guessing you're talking about 75 vs. 150 kW stations).

Energy is measured in kWh (e.g. 23 cents per kWh).

OP should check Plugshare for public non-Tesla pricing but it's crowdsourced so the pricing may not be accurate. For most accurate pricing, check the web site and/or app of the network itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The best place to get a CCS charger is probably from the tesla store (I realize it wasn't out when that question was asked in this thread).

Time is also a factor. 75kw is relatively slow as far as DC fast chargers go. Your car will max out at 250kw (for a brief period of time). Tesla Superchargers are 75kw (slow urban super chargers) 150kw or 250kw. I don't know what the CCS chargers in your area are rated for but the adapter, I believe, maxes out at 150-200kw or thereabouts. In theory, the CCS adapter can get you much faster than 75kw. It doesn't matter if the electrify America chargers in your area are 350kw -- neither your car (nor the adapter) will be able to charge that fast. How much time do you want to spend sitting and charging if this is your only charge source? I'd go with the fastest available, even if it will cost you a few dollars more.

I'm also assuming that, as you stated, home charging (of any type) is not an option as those are really the best because it's typically the cheapest and time isn't as much of a factor.