Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla self-parking RHD - lagging way behind the competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They couldn't get a result from the Teslas on perpendicular parking because none of the three Tesla's could "find" the available parking spot, even the AP1.

On parallel parking the Tesla AP1 did quite well. The two Tesla's on AP2 could not park properly and took ages. They were also unable to park when people were on the sidewalk but nowhere near an unsafe range of the car. The Ford, Audi, and BMW models chosen were almost identical. They didn't list the overall time taken for each model but it appeared to be about a minute or so each for those three and the AP1, the two AP2s took much longer. Manual parking for a good driver was of course just seconds. A worse driver would probably mess around for longer.

I didn't expect Tesla would do quite so badly. When even Ford parked well, I don't see why there should be any acceptable stan excuses, but we'll see what they come up with. One excuse I saw already was that the Model S is larger so it wasn't a fair test. Why should it come down to "not a fair test", it's parking a car. BTW the Model S is listed as 1964mm wide and the Audi E-tron GT is listed as 1964mm wide, so that seems a lame attempt at an excuse. The length of the car was irrelevant as the cars fit the spot manually.

Last edited:
It is a legacy system that hasn't received much attention (like Summon) since it is "full speed ahead" on FSD Beta/City Driving. After full stack integration they will have to update the parking to use vision and the full power of FSD Beta.

If you have FSD Beta there is an updated perpendicular parking that uses vision and while excruciatingly slow does do a MUCH better job.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 6.16.21 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: moa999
It is a legacy system that hasn't received much attention (like Summon) since it is "full speed ahead" on FSD Beta/City Driving. After full stack integration they will have to update the parking to use vision and the full power of FSD Beta.

If you have FSD Beta there is an updated perpendicular parking that uses vision and while excruciatingly slow does do a MUCH better job.

View attachment 842579
Can confirm that on the rare occasions it notices a spot it is excruciatingly slow

Reactions: positiv and KArnold

View attachment 842579

I was wondering if the perpendicular parking failed so badly because the Tesla is expecting there to be painted lines of which there was none in the workshop.

I was wondering if the perpendicular parking failed so badly because the Tesla is expecting there to be painted lines of which there was none in the workshop.
Legacy perpendicular (and parallel) parking uses the ultrasonics only (not vision) and must detect cars to park in-between. Also legacy Parking may depend some on map data, knowing it is a parking area.

if you are on Beta then yes it needs lines to park.

Reactions: randompixel
It is a legacy system that hasn't received much attention (like Summon) since it is "full speed ahead" on FSD Beta/City Driving.
I would have thought they would move these along at the same pace. What's the point of driving into the city if you can't park when you get there? And have the car come pick you up with all your packages in a torrential downpour (summon)? Screw the Ford kick lifter for the trunk after getting drenched to walk out to the car. :D

What an embarrassment for Tesla.

The fact that AP1 handles this maneuver perfectly really underscores the fact they should have stuck with MobilEye. Imagine where AP/FSD would be today if they had.
From the research I had done into this previously, MobilEye started backing off from the partnership after one of the early Autopilot crashes into the broad side of a tractor trailer. They believed Tesla was being far too liberal with the testing and deployment, taking on far too much risk and trying to use a "brute force" improvement path through the data collection methods on public roads. If I recall correctly, Elon's statements at the time were that the backbone of MobilEye's system was easy to replicate, and thus they broke off to do their own thing.

Now we have a lot of uninformed fans who believe Tesla is the leader in data collection and know nothing about the history, know nothing about MobilEye being the true originator of all this stuff and having their technology in vehicles of all shapes/sizes across an array of manufacturers all around the world.

My 2021 Genesis GV80 will park itself while you stand outside of the vehicle

From the research I had done into this previously, MobilEye started backing off from the partnership after one of the early Autopilot crashes into the broad side of a tractor trailer. They believed Tesla was being far too liberal with the testing and deployment, taking on far too much risk and trying to use a "brute force" improvement path through the data collection methods on public roads. If I recall correctly, Elon's statements at the time were that the backbone of MobilEye's system was easy to replicate, and thus they broke off to do their own thing.

Now we have a lot of uninformed fans who believe Tesla is the leader in data collection and know nothing about the history, know nothing about MobilEye being the true originator of all this stuff and having their technology in vehicles of all shapes/sizes across an array of manufacturers all around the world.

My 2021 Genesis GV80 will park itself while you stand outside of the vehicle
Yeah it’s crazy how quickly that partnership dissolved and how Elon attempted to spin it.

7 years later, Tesla is still trying to play catch-up to a system that had ONE camera.

Tesla does not have cameras looking down from the roof nor low height front camera's. If Tesla offered 360 view, curb rash would disappear. Right now it is hard to figure out where the front wheel if when parking in narrow parking slots.
I agree. Having a view around the car would be very helpful. Especially at the front.
A self parking system that actually works would also be good.

Seems like Tesla is lacking the funds to have a dedicated team to improve the legacy stack. The new "single stack" will take forever to trickle down to regular AP etc. Meanwhile these lackluster features that lags behind other automakers is just embarrassing and does not instill confidence.

My SPA Volvos had a pretty killer self park system. It had a “park out” function that would pull the car out of a parallel park. Pretty neat.

Nice, it would be nice to see all the features in video clips