Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi delivery event, 1 December 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is Tesla being so secret about actual price and curb weight?

What do they have to gain by sharing more details? Bragging rights?

But really, only they know, but I can make some guesses:
  • They already have more orders than they can fill in the next two years; they have no need to create more demand at this time.
  • They are still iterating the design; Elon has said that they have a plan to increase efficiency by up to 12%. So the specs aren't final final.
  • They don't want to discourage people from buying the competition; we need every BEV Semi on the road we can get.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Olle
I had seen this video before but forgot about it until I came across it again. The video shows a Volvo FM Electric charging at a Circle K - Ionity charger in Norway. Ionity is based in Munich, Germany MAP & STATUS

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 7.18.56 PM.png

Reactions: Olle
Why is Tesla being so secret about actual price and curb weight?

What do they have to gain by sharing more details? Bragging rights?

But really, only they know, but I can make some guesses:
  • They already have more orders than they can fill in the next two years; they have no need to create more demand at this time.
  • They are still iterating the design; Elon has said that they have a plan to increase efficiency by up to 12%. So the specs aren't final final.
  • They don't want to discourage people from buying the competition; we need every BEV Semi on the road we can get.
they aren’t that secretive. They already said that it accelerates 0-60 in 5 sec alone and 20 sec fully loaded which means it would weigh about 20500 lbs.

Nice work here, You are on it but a few tweaks if you please. The Battery is more than 850kWh, likely closer to 950. There was more before and after the trip. The charge rate will start between 2MW and 3MW using the MW Charger (Semi Charger) and taper as you stated.
Agreed. The simple way to think about this is S/X charging and then add a 0 to every number, since the Semi battery is around 10 times the size. So 2.5 MW for the bottom 1/3 sounds about right.
This is a commercial application and taper is good for the long term battery health and will be maximized.

Good for long term health is an understatement. It is actually impossible to charge without taper. Ternary cell electrolytes decompose somewhere above 4.2 V. The difference between that V max and the cell open circuit voltage (OCV) all squared divided by internal resistance is the only power available for charging, hence the taper as OCV rises with SOC. Ohms law.

Reactions: GSP
I’m disturbed that the full specs achieved were not reviewed. Maybe during the 4th quarter report? As an investor I think I have a right to know exactly what we are selling e.g. price, features etc. Lack of communication makes it seem like something is being hidden or promises not achieved.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m disturbed that the full specs achieved were not reviewed. Maybe during the 4th quarter report? As an investor I think I have a right to know exactly what we are selling e.g. price, features etc. Lack of communication makes it seem like something is being hidden or promises not achieved.
You have the right to invest or not invest if they need shareholders input they will ask for your vote

Does anyone else think the Frito Lay Tesla Semi paint scheme is just WOW! The front going from Sunshine Yellow then from a Light Orange and into a Deep Orange/Red.

I would love to have Tesla Semi in this paint scheme minus the Frito Lay markings. The Pepsi Blue isn't bad looking either.

View attachment 886957
View attachment 886958

On the Frito Lay Truck it’s registered to FL transportation out of Plano,Tx they have 1635 power units with a 2020 total accumulated milage of 153,710,000, a lot of potential savings

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
My thought is they have not released any more meaningful numbers as they may still be tweaking the battery management to eke out every last bit of efficiency. Elon mentioned that current efficiency was 1.7 kW per mile but they see a path to 1.6 or even 1.5 kW per mile. While they have been testing the Semi for some time, they don’t have nearly the amount of real world performance data they need to get a really good understanding of how to run the motors and systems under all the different conditions that the Semi will encounter. In this same vein I think that’s why the have only delivered to PepsiCo. The are collecting all kinds of real world feedback from PepsiCo to iron out any major/minor problems before the start of volume deliveries. These learnings may affect final design, features and price which would be a reason for the delay.

Reactions: Cal1
You have the right to invest or not invest if they need shareholders input they will ask for your vote
That's not even close to accurate. As an investor (which means owner) I have a right to provide input. I can vote but am not limited to them asking me for squat. Where do you think all the original pressure to stop using animal hides came from? It wasn't an internally generated idea. It came from a small number of shareholders.

Reactions: Just a Reader
That's not even close to accurate. As an investor (which means owner) I have a right to provide input. I can vote but am not limited to them asking me for squat. Where do you think all the original pressure to stop using animal hides came from? It wasn't an internally generated idea. It came from a small number of shareholders.
We’ll pick up the red phone and tell them what you want, I guess I don’t own enough shares to get a direct line like you have