Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sentry Mode in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine they would break your window then not be able to fold the seat down :(. The people going this stuff are not the brightest bunch. Tempted to try razor blades though, just use a leather gloves for the start latches. :). Probably get arrested for it and end up paying the criminal.
Or more likely forget about it and take a nice trip to the hospital after you try to lower the seat. Or worse, your wife or kids.

Just FYI on the Sentry issue for older Model S/X vehicles:

- October 2016 to early to mid-2017 Model S/X vehicles do indeed have all 8 cameras just like today's Model S/X/3.
- However, they have an older AutoPilot computer, known as Hardware 2.0.
- Modern Model S/X/3 up until April 2019 have a later revision known as Hardware 2.5.
- Current production after April 2019 is now using Hardware 3.0.
- Even though those 2016-2017 vehicles have all 8 cameras, they do not have Sentry mode because Hardware 2.0 does not support it.
- 2016-2017 Model S/X with Hardware 2.0 can be upgraded to Hardware 3.0 (and therefore get Sentry mode) with the purchase of the Full Self Driving package. However, the Hardware 3.0 computer replacement will not happen for several months, maybe into 2020.

What I would do if I were Tesla is this:
- There will be many cars that get upgraded from Hardware 2.5 to Hardware 3.0 to deliver the Full Self Driving features.
- When those computer replacements start to happen (2.5 -> 3.0), there will be a large number of used Hardware 2.5 boards available.
- Telsa should offer Hardware 2.0 -> 2.5 upgrades for those people who want Sentry mode but don't want FSD. The price should be something relatively inexpensive since this would be just bonus revenue for Tesla and it's refurbished equipment instead of new. I'm thinking $500.

It’s a thoughtful idea, but my feeling is that Tesla won’t do it for the simple reason that there are components on the board (from what I’ve heard, such as non removable flash storage) that are prone to failure over time and may not last into multiple ownerships without refactoring. That cost may make it prohibitive enough that it may be easier for them to sell HW3 with features disabled instead. It may even prove to be cheaper as quantity of HW3 ramps up.