Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Center coming to Carlsbad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Moderator note: this thread was created on 30 Aug 2018 out of posts made in the Carlsbad Supercharger thread)
These guys sound more like government workers than private. Not sure what Tesla gets out of wanting to hide the info when I am sure it can be found out in simpler ways (i.e. planning Dept). But, thanks for the post.
Tesla seems able to keep secrets very well compared to other auto companies. For example, the way Tesla presented the new roadster during the semi-truck reveal...absolutely spectacular! Regarding keeping secrets: I'd like to challenge those of you who have access to Carlsbad building and/or planning documents to monitor something VERY positive that Tesla may be doing in the near future. After all, once a document is in the public realm, it is no longer a secret, right? That is absolutely all I can say about that. Now, I'm waiting for someone to say this comment is posted on the wrong thread...can't win!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jowaldo
Tesla seems able to keep secrets very well compared to other auto companies. For example, the way Tesla presented the new roadster during the semi-truck reveal...absolutely spectacular! Regarding keeping secrets: I'd like to challenge those of you who have access to Carlsbad building and/or planning documents to monitor something VERY positive that Tesla may be doing in the near future. After all, once a document is in the public realm, it is no longer a secret, right? That is absolutely all I can say about that. Now, I'm waiting for someone to say this comment is posted on the wrong thread...can't win!

What a tease!

• Funny
Reactions: jowaldo
Wait a second: if you know something that is already within the public domain, why not share?

Reactions: X-drvr

OK, I'll bite! Your comment should be posted in the "Upcoming Service Center/Store" thread (if there is one). Carlsbad is the obvious place in North County for such an operation. The San Diego service Center is vastly overloaded.

Vistan

Reactions: Captrod
OK, I'll bite! Your comment should be posted in the "Upcoming Service Center/Store" thread (if there is one). Carlsbad is the obvious place in North County for such an operation. The San Diego service Center is vastly overloaded.

Vistan
While receiving my new X a couple weeks ago, the delivery guy told me they are going to build a new SC & Delivery facility in Carlsbad; I don't know where in Carlsbad though.

With only a cursory search of City of Carlsbad Building & Development records online, I discovered a pending building permit CUP2018-0007 dated 4/11/18 for a Tesla Service Station (Auto Repair Facility) to be located within an existing Industrial Building at 3248 Lionshead Avenue in Carlsbad. This location is on the border between Vista and Carlsbad, just east of Melrose Avenue. There is another pending permit (SP2018-0001) for an "Electric Vehicle Sales Facility" to be located at a different address on Lionshead Avenue.

How's that for sleuthing out a rumor?

Vistan

With only a cursory search of City of Carlsbad Building & Development records online, I discovered a pending building permit CUP2018-0007 dated 4/11/18 for a Tesla Service Station (Auto Repair Facility) to be located within an existing Industrial Building at 3248 Lionshead Avenue in Carlsbad. This location is on the border between Vista and Carlsbad, just east of Melrose Avenue. There is another pending permit (SP2018-0001) for an "Electric Vehicle Sales Facility" to be located at a different address on Lionshead Avenue.

How's that for sleuthing out a rumor?

Vistan
Great sleuthing!! You know how to get the job done. I should have known that building and development records would be on line. Bringing this discussion back to 7710 El Camino Real and the new 20 unit supercharger at that location, Carlsbad will be a hot Tesla destination. By definition a Sales Facility and Service Station will have a few superchargers for auto delivery and repair, similar to Buena Park which has 8 stalls. However, that site is frequently full because demo cars and customers charge there, and so will Lionshead. 7710 El Camino Real is roughly about 7-miles from the Lionshead site. The sales and service center at Buena Park sits about 12-miles from chargers at Downey and 12-miles from Santa Ana chargers. 7710 is somewhat further from superchargers in San Diego. More than a rumor has it that we can forget about the other permitted Carlsbad supercharger site at 2525 El Camino real. Not happening in the foreseeable future, but who knows about later?

Further info on the Tesla Service Station (Service Center) at 3248 Lionshead Ave. in Carlsbad: The CUP (Conditional Use Permit) was approved on 6/14/2018. Tesla, or their engineering planner, who I believe is Bill Hofman Planning of Carlsbad, has apparently not yet submitted the necessary tenant improvement plans to proceed toward a building permit. I looked at the property, it is indeed a large empty industrial facility, finished on the outside, just waiting for a detailed inside design. Here's a pic:
IMG_0397.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 76
Great view of the area as it existed. Those of us who have moved to the Carlsbad area more recently don't have the perspective of how it used to look! I spent some time at the site of the new proposed service center yesterday. The building is huge and it will be a great location!

How it used to sound too! Every weekend we would hear it from 4 miles away.

Am I the only person who noted the irony about the future Carlsbad service center being built on the former raceway site?? I mean that Tesla has some of the fastest cars out there which could have probably 'dusted' anything that ever raced there... Just wondering....

Am I the only person who noted the irony about the future Carlsbad service center being built on the former raceway site?? I mean that Tesla has some of the fastest cars out there which could have probably 'dusted' anything that ever raced there... Just wondering....

Tesla's don't race well, except for quick short runs. On the track, the batteries usually get too hot to do more than 1-2 laps.

The Model S&X have an issue where the motor, more specifically the rotor in the motor, gets too hot as it is very difficult to cool. The problem isn't the battery.

And the Model 3 shouldn't suffer from this nearly as much, if at all, because the rear motor isn't an induction motor. (So it won't require rotor cooling.)

Actually, the Model S/X packs get too warm as well (hence the improved cooling design of the pack in the 3), but you are correct that the rotor in the motor is the first to get too warm.