Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service says my Tesla Model S 2013 60 kw Main battery needs to be replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The batteries don't leak...

More likely, given the revision of the pack, moisture got into the pack as well as on top of it (like where the steel fuse cover is) and corroded and damaged modules within.
Tesla service quoted me HV Battery 75Kw $11,478 , 60kw Battery reman $13,425 , 90kw production pack $19,183. I quoted your fuse box fix to them . Waiting for a response. Recell , 057tech what do you think?? I said 75kw is good. What do you think??

@AprilDelivery?? - the fuse and the fuse cover replacement outlined above was a very specific circumstance. it may, or may not, apply to your own.

the takeaway here is that not *every* circumstance requires a pack replacement. that’s why independent service providers like @Recell, @wk057, Electrified Garage and others are such an important part of the EV ecosystem.

Last edited:
@AprilDelivery?? - the fuse abs the fuse cover replacement outlined above was a very specific circumstance. it may, or may not, apply to your own.

the takeaway here is that not *every* circumstance requires a pack replacement. that’s why independent service providers like @Recell, @wk057, Electrified Garage and others are such an important part of the EV ecosystem.
Tesla service said" the battery needs replacement if you want to fix the fuse box you could but this would add more to the repair because your car will not move . again if you want to have another 3rd party check your vehicle and have the towed out we understand" . What should I do ? I still like 75kw for $11,428 with 4yr/50k warranty and its local in my area instead of Texas , North Carolina .

Get the 75.
Tesla service said" the battery needs replacement if you want to fix the fuse box you could but this would add more to the repair because your car will not move . again if you want to have another 3rd party check your vehicle and have the towed out we understand" . What should I do ? I still like 75kw for $11,428 with 4yr/50k warranty and its local in my area instead of Texas , North Carolina .

(You don't need to reply multiple times. You can quote multiple people in the same message.)

You've already made it clear you don't want to pay to have your car transported, so your only remaining option is to deal with Tesla.

And, like I said, that 75 replacement upgrade they're offering, if that price is to be believed, is a good deal. Take it.

Things you might want to ask. What is the degradation situation on that 75 pack? Like new or just at least as good as a 60? Also, are they offering to make your car a 75, or just a 60 with a 75 pack like some of the other 60s? Even if it's just the latter, it still sounds like a great deal for you.

(You don't need to reply multiple times. You can quote multiple people in the same message.)

You've already made it clear you don't want to pay to have your car transported, so your only remaining option is to deal with Tesla.

And, like I said, that 75 replacement upgrade they're offering, if that price is to be believed, is a good deal. Take it.
057 tech website says "Upgrade to 75 kWh (+$17,636.32)" so Tesla is cheaper $11,478 for 75kw but there other fees like HV battery move & replace $400 etc. and Tesla Service is in my area if anything goes wrong I have warranty and don't have to send to NC.

How many more times is this going to go back and forth? You keep saying you don't want to use his shop, but want to go through Tesla, and he has repeated three separate times that the Tesla deal is good, and you should go ahead and do that. But it's like you didn't read it and just repeat again how you don't trust him but want to use Tesla. What's the deal? Repeating it this many times is starting to sound rude.

bb3b8a0e-9604-495d-8690-58971d4aeec7_text.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
How many more times is this going to go back and forth? You keep saying you don't want to use his shop, but want to go through Tesla, and he has repeated three separate times that the Tesla deal is good, and you should go ahead and do that. But it's like you didn't read it and just repeat again how you don't trust him but want to use Tesla. What's the deal? Repeating it this many times is starting to sound rude.
He also keeps replying to 057 tech with references to what the 057 tech website says, as if these were two different people/entities. Kind of bizarre.

Reactions: Olle
He also keeps replying to 057 tech with references to what the 057 tech website says, as if these were two different people/entities. Kind of bizarre.

Definitely bizarre.

I'm not really sure, but my guess is Tesla isn't actually giving such a price on the 75, and they're trying to get us to match this number or something. My pricing isn't changing, so that's not happening. In fact, we're actually likely raising prices on pack replacements, specifically for 60-type vehicles, to just be straight no-core replacements since we really just don't have much use for broken 60 packs.

Seems pretty odd all around. For example, I've never seen Tesla offer a 90 kWh battery to someone with a 60 that needed replacement like claimed in this post above... let alone for less than the cost of a 90 pack. (For example, I have a customer who just got a 90 replacement for a 90 at Tesla which cost > $22k). 60-reman more expensive than a 75-reman? Yeah, something weird here for sure... although at least that might be a flipflip typo between the 60 and 75 by either the OP or Tesla.

So if Tesla is really offering to replace a busted 9-year-old 60 pack with a 75 pack for ~$12k... then jump on it and move on, because no one else is going to do that. No need to keep bringing up my company when I've already said that Tesla's offering a good deal, and you should go with Tesla. Heck, I've even said that it almost always makes more sense for people with 60 packs to go with Tesla's offerings than 057 (even though I've not seen anyone get quite as good of an offer from Tesla as what's claimed here) because of the minimal core value of the 60 pack.

(Cue the next unnecessary post from the OP, "But Tesla is cheaper, 057's website says [....] and I have to bring the car to NC!" 😂 )

Definitely bizarre.

I'm not really sure, but my guess is Tesla isn't actually giving such a price on the 75, and they're trying to get us to match this number or something. My pricing isn't changing, so that's not happening. In fact, we're actually likely raising prices on pack replacements, specifically for 60-type vehicles, to just be straight no-core replacements since we really just don't have much use for broken 60 packs.

Seems pretty odd all around. For example, I've never seen Tesla offer a 90 kWh battery to someone with a 60 that needed replacement like claimed in this post above... let alone for less than the cost of a 90 pack. (For example, I have a customer who just got a 90 replacement for a 90 at Tesla which cost > $22k). 60-reman more expensive than a 75-reman? Yeah, something weird here for sure... although at least that might be a flipflip typo between the 60 and 75 by either the OP or Tesla.

So if Tesla is really offering to replace a busted 9-year-old 60 pack with a 75 pack for ~$12k... then jump on it and move on, because no one else is going to do that. No need to keep bringing up my company when I've already said that Tesla's offering a good deal, and you should go with Tesla. Heck, I've even said that it almost always makes more sense for people with 60 packs to go with Tesla's offerings than 057 (even though I've not seen anyone get quite as good of an offer from Tesla as what's claimed here) because of the minimal core value of the 60 pack.

(Cue the next unnecessary post from the OP, "But Tesla is cheaper, 057's website says [....] and I have to bring the car to NC!" 😂 )
I approved the estimate on the Tesla App for 75kw battery for $11,478 . Its cheaper because the 75kw is probably more available as apposed tp 60kw that have to rebuild and it takes more time and 75kw they just have to ship it as a finished product from a junked Tesla . Plus the 90kw is $19,183 maybe because its more available ,there are more cars with that battery pack.
1660248583243.jpeg

Thanks to wk057 and Recell for sharing a wealth of knowledge and for creating a seemingly infinitely more transparent look into our cars that Tesla Service offers. Just to nit-pick on the what Tesla is offering, the 75kW estimate looks like an absolute steal while the 12V battery replacement looks about 3.5X more than I would expect. I guess you win some and lose some but the HV battery deal more than makes up for it...unless the battery is degraded to the level of a 60kW pack.

Definitely bizarre.

How are battery packs disposed of?

Thanks to wk057 and Recell for sharing a wealth of knowledge and for creating a seemingly infinitely more transparent look into our cars that Tesla Service offers. Just to nit-pick on the what Tesla is offering, the 75kW estimate looks like an absolute steal while the 12V battery replacement looks about 3.5X more than I would expect. I guess you win some and lose some but the HV battery deal more than makes up for it...unless the battery is degraded to the level of a 60kW pack.
No, thats Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure $102.50 + General Diagnosis $205+ 12v battery $165 =$554.60. I think W057 and Recell should be more competitive with Tesla and lower their price after all ,theres more Teslas out there and more supply of Tesla batteries and parts than ten years ago!
1660260013544.png

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN and davewill
I think W057 and Recell should be more competitive with Tesla and lower their price after all ,theres more Teslas out there and more supply of Tesla batteries and parts than ten years ago!
It's great that you think that, but they probably set their prices to cover their costs and a reasonable profit.

Sure there are more Teslas and parts than there were 10 years ago, but there are also more failing, and the demand for legacy Model S packs for solar/off-grid storage is very high. So the price for the limited quantity of salvage packs is high.

As far as how many are failing, Tesla hinted at that, by saying that they are recycling ~50 packs a week. That means that they are getting about 7 packs with failed modules, that can't be refurbished, in them every single day. I don't know how many packs Recell/057/Gruber/EG/etc. repair/replace... Demand for the limited supply of packs is very high.

In your case it looks like Tesla made a mistake, or is being nice to you, on the cost for the 75kWh pack, as that is very low. I wouldn't be surprised if 057 would be willing to buy every 75kWh pack Tesla would sell him for that price. (Not that they would sell him any.)