Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service smashed my P85 bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really sad Tesla owner. Last week, my Model S had to be taken into Tesla Service because the charger stopped working. It ended up needed a firmware update. But it was easily fixed. They also said that it needed a new front left tire (21") because of a bubble on the bead.

When I went to go pick it up, they were bringing it out front for me, and the Tesla Service member driving my car hit the accelerator instead of the brake when he was trying to stop. He smashed into the Model S behind him. It punched a hole into my bumper and left an indent. Tesla apologized and offered to replace the bumper and repaint it. They also waived the tire repair cost.

After 4 days in the body shop, I just got my P85 back from Tesla, and even in the dark with a flashlight I can tell the bumper doesn't match the rest of the car. The paint armor is extremely bubbly, but I know that paint armor can easily be redone. But can the bumper ever match the rest of the car again?

I was suspicious that the collision repair guys could match the blue color, because it's this amazing almost black color that seems to shift depending on the lighting. I'm wondering what you all think Tesla should do. Try to repaint again? I don't know why they don't send a factory painted bumper.

I have had it for exactly 3 months when they crashed it. It's a blue P85 with grey wheels and every option except for the dual chargers. I plan to look at it again in the sunlight tomorrow and call Tesla, but I don't know what they can do to fix this.

While I'd expect a factory painted bumper as a replacement, even then I don't know if the bumper color would match the body color exactly. From what I've heard talking to the local service guy about other repairs, it is a challenge to get the paint on the body to match the paint on the bumper, even under ideal conditions.

Yes, I realize now that it is standard to use an unpainted factory bumper, so they can try to match the paint at the collision repair place. But it still doesn't match, and I'm here with a $100k car with a slightly off color bumper.

Yes, I realize now that it is standard to use an unpainted factory bumper, so they can try to match the paint at the collision repair place. But it still doesn't match, and I'm here with a $100k car with a slightly off color bumper.
Given that this was 100% Tesla's fault, I wouldn't cave in until you are 100% happy with the result.

Less major but about a month ago, service scratched the rear fender and dented my rear passenger wheel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370659543.906169.jpg

Given that this was 100% Tesla's fault, I wouldn't cave in until you are 100% happy with the result.

Agree. Repair shops often can blend in a spot or area, but when trying to match an entire part to a part they are not painting it can be tricky. Since the bumpers are painted at Tesla and not outsourced like a lot of car plants, I think you stand a better chance of having a match with a factory-painted bumper.

@TonyS: sorry to hear the story... my 2 cents, I think the guy (or lady) who painted your replacement bumper was not a super-expert. I had a strange-colored Alfa Romeo and Maserati and it was difficult to get repaint color correct.

I would ask around and find out the best paint shop in town, regularly taking Mercedes, Ferraris etc, and ask Tesla to use the shop. It is their fault and need to be fixed perfectly. Even under bright sunlight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You guys are making me nervous. I'm supposed to get a new bumper and frunk hood. The body shop assured me they can mix the paint to match the exact blue, metallic sparkles and all.

I recently had the hood painted and paint armor put on. The shop that did it, Fairway, did an outstanding job matching the color (sig red). They said the code from Tesla wasn't exactly right so they made some adjustments.
Even knowing what they painted, I can not tell the car hood was painted.

I actually don't think anyone could, and I would invite anyone to try:)

You just need to make sure to find a good shop that specializes in that type of work.

I got the dreaded call from the Chicago service center when they did some work in January -- the bumper had been marred pretty badly. They had it repaired, but not to my satisfaction (there was a chip still missing at the edge of the bumper where it met the frunk lid, and there were some paint flaws. Tesla then had it repaired to my satisfaction at a local body shop. Don't worry, they'll make it right to your satisfaction.

rear bumper

I had someone scrap my bumper in a parking lot gawking at the car, which was a costly fix for him. Tesla has recommended body shops that supposedly have been trained and know the car well. Since the damage was cosmetic I took it to my local shop, that I had been dealing with on all my past cars. The work has a life time warranty which I thougt trumped the Tesla shop. It took over three weeks to get the bumper but the wait was well worth it. The paint matched perfectly and the paint armor was as good or better than the factory.

If it was mine I would have it redone until you are satisfied and if they can't do it take it to a specialty shop for an assessment, good luck!!!

TonyJ, as you are in the DC area,I assume you had the work done at Criswell in Annapolis. It should have been perfect. They did my bumper (my car color is white), and it matches perfectly. They use the same paint and technique as the factory. Call Kevin Marvin at Criswell and discuss it with them. I was concerned also (in almost 40 years of driving I never needed body work until a deer ran into the side of my stopped Tesla), but Tesla does not ship painted body parts, and my concern was unfounded.

I had the front end panel repainted on my Sig red after catching the corner of my garage. It took three tries before the paint shop got it right. Even though the damage was my fault, the Tesla rep here in Tampa followed through with the paint shop until both he and I were satisfied. They even called in the PP paint rep to insure the right formula was used. Can't say enough about our guys here in Tampa.

Years ago, I slid off the road rear end first into a ditch and scuffed my GMC Envoy's plastic bumper up bad enough that they had to re-skin it. The part was black plastic, but the shop painted it red to match the vehicle. After a while, pieces started to flake off revealing the black underneath. This made me wonder: are the factory parts actually made in body color? The original part was red front and back which made me think it was body color through and through.

I'd suggest you know exactly what they are going to paint and they are not. In order to prevent the bumper from looking like a different shade, they may spray and feather the color into the body resulting in a resprayed car (not ideal). If it was my car, I'd make sure they do not paint anything other than the bumper and no feathering into the body.