Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model Y consumes ~230 Watts when in Standby mode. This power drain is from the DC to DC converter and the low voltage systems being powered.
I agree with that. Thanks for your detailed explanation. "Idle" is a general term I was using for a parked Tesla. Whereas, the Standby mode is quite narrowly defined in your response. Depending upon weather conditions, you know that a BMS is doing a lot more when Tesla is parked during the day, or even at night, before going into the Sleep mode. In my recent experience, during a few hot ~90°F days, the battery in my Tesla was losing ~4% charge over an 8 hour period while parked outside my office.

3. Shallow charge and discharge (55-35 or 55-30 SoC), if feasible for routine driving, is the best option for a long battery life.
The lower the SOC range, the better.
If the range + range anxiety allows, charge only to 50%.

I did select 55% as it is a reasonable compromise between low degradation and range. But using 50% as the charging target (as no lower setting exist) is better than 55% in terms of degradation only.
If there was an option to charge to 30% or 40% this would probably be the best if this is enough ( which it is for many peoples daily drive).

If I did not miss-read the post, you did not write about charging late.
The 55% or less is coupled to calendar aging, and calendar aging will be very much reduced by charging shortly before the drive.
If there is a need to charge to for example 80% or 90%, the very most part of the calendar aging is avoided by charging late.

In short, charging higher than 55% if needed isnt that bad if the time at high SOC is short.

5. Normally, an idle Tesla consumes 6-10% of its battery every day. If you put it in Sentry Mode or Dog Mode, it's closer to 1% every hour.
5kWh / day for sentry = 7-8% for an LR and 10-isg for an SR.

Sentry and cabib overheat protection of, one percent or so each week.

For the picture, it is a risk of being taken as the ”true values”. This is very common.
Because of this its important that the pictures presented is not missleading.

For the examples of daily drive, they might be missleading.

The basics is:
-Only charge to the level needed until the next charge.
-Charge often (daily for most people)
-Charge late

This means that as long as 50% charging target is enough (including a safe margin) use 50%.

For the table, the ”Mainenance SOC range” does not feel the best.
Any of the 120km or less should be charging to 50% and the arrival SOC should be whatever it happens to, be.
If this means it is lower than the personal comfort zone, raise the target to what feels safe/good.
There is no reason coupled to the battery to stay above 20%. The lower limit should perhaps not be written as it most probably will be taken as a qualitative number fir what is best for the battery.

For example the <100mi (160km), 55-15% will keep the battery at and below the 55% limit which will reduce the degradation most.

I get 200km range with my M3P and 50% SOC at the average lifetime consumption.
For any drive less than about 180km I could use 50% charging, as it would give the lowest degradation. 55-15 or 50-10% will be much better than 80-40%
For <75miles, 50-20% is much better.

The Cyclic degradation is very small compared to the calendar aging, so we do not really need to use that as a factor for planning the SOC level. In any case they are about the same, low SOC + charge late is most important. Small cycles is also good but not most important.

So, to increase the life of the battery, it is the time at high SOC that is the most important thing. Any action that ends up in having low SOC for the biggest part of the day is good.

For the charging, it should state that any AC charging is good form the battery.
If using the charge late strategy, the highest possible AC power gives the shortest time at high SOC, but if the charging is not ”late” a lower power is better as it delaya the high SOC.

For fast chargers, the limit should not be set to ”above 150kW” but instead maybe above 50-80kW.

My personal tip after reading research about fast charging is to always precondition the battery when possible.
I always do that.

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam and E90alex
Depending upon weather conditions, you know that a BMS is doing a lot more when Tesla is parked during the day, or even at night, before going into the Sleep mode. In my recent experience, during a few hot ~90°F days, the battery in my Tesla was losing ~4% charge over an 8 hour period while parked outside my office.
Cabin overheat protection.

My car usually falls to sleep within 15-20 minutes after a drive.
And in then there is virtually no consumption, even in hot weather.

Reactions: HMHM
In a word, yes. I live in Florida and I keep it off.

The cabin interior doesn't need protection. It is well documented that the feature was implemented to protect occupants accidentally left in the car.
Thanks for your valuable input. I haven't had a chance to read much about the technical specifications of the MY glass roof. But, is it prudent to say that the glass roof by itself is a valuable factor in keeping the heat and UV radiations out?

Thanks for your valuable input. I haven't had a chance to read much about the technical specifications of the MY glass roof. But, is it prudent to say that the glass roof by itself is a valuable factor in keeping the heat and UV radiations out?

In my opinion, yes, the roof tinting and IR coating work great.

I haven't applied any extra tinting or put up a saggy roof shade. Our car sits in the sun all day every day.

Reactions: HMHM
Prediction - very few of today's vehicles are going to be running in 15 years. Parts will not generally be available to keep the vehicles running. Look up lead-free solder and you will learn that due to international treaty agreements consumer electronics are being manufactured using lead-free solder. Tesla vehicles are built with circuit boards that use lead-free solder. Lead-free solder becomes brittle over time, i.e. beyond 10 years. The brittleness of the solder encourages micro cracks in the solder connections over time. Once your vehicle becomes unreliable due to failing components you will be forced to purchase a new or newer vehicle.

Reactions: HMHM and CleanDemon
Cabin overheat protection.

My car usually falls to sleep within 15-20 minutes after a drive.
And in then there is virtually no consumption, even in hot weather.
Sorry for keep veering off the thread track, "Tesla sets charge limit to 90%." May be a forum Admin can move these to a different/new thread.

Anyhow, I just checked my overheat protection settings. Mine was "on" with the activation temperature of 100°F. Is it possible to lose ~4% charge in 8 hours at this setting?

Last edited:
Once your vehicle becomes unreliable due to failing components you will be forced to purchase a new or newer vehicle.
I totally agree. After all, it's is a machine. I'm planning on keeping mine for only 4 to 7 y max. We can love our cars for the new experiences these machines can help deliver, but no one should be emotionally attached to a car.

In four years, you will hopefully be driving a new and more efficient EV with a lot longer range!

A large portion of the degradation comes from time.

You can not calculate with miles only.
400K does not mean I can drive 1K each year for 400 years.

After 15 years a lithium battery will be rather tired even if it was not driven much or at all.
After 15 years at the most average temperature and 70-90% SOC the battery will have about 20% degradstion or slightly more even if it wasnt driven.
Of course. I’m planning to keep SoC mostly under 60%, and given the 1% degradation I got in the first 9 months and 10k miles, I think expecting 15% degradation after 15 years and 200k miles is not unreasonable. :p

Reactions: AAKEE
That information is not correct. When the Tesla Model Y is parked and the low voltage system is being powered by the high voltage battery this is Standby mode. The Tesla Model Y consumes ~230 Watts when in Standby mode. This power drain is from the DC to DC converter and the low voltage systems being powered. This will continue as long as the Tesla Model Y does not enter Sleep mode.

When the Tesla Model Y enters Sleep mode the power use is ~25W (just over 1/10th as much power). The high voltage battery disconnects from the Tesla Model Y low voltage systems. The 15.5V low voltage lithium battery (this replaced the older 12V lead-acid battery) powers essential systems including the door locks, Bluetooth and LTE modems while the Tesla Model Y is in Sleep mode. Periodically the Tesla Model Y will wake from Sleep mode and enter Standby mode for a short time to recharge the low voltage battery as required, then re-enter Sleep mode.

Tesla Model Y features including Sentry mode and Camp mode prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering Sleep mode. That is why the power drain is 6% to 7% per 24 hours when you have Sentry mode active. This is also true for Smart Summon (part of Full Self Driving.) As many Tesla Model Y owners have confirmed, if you park the Tesla Model Y unplugged with Sentry mode turned off the high voltage battery will lose just ~1% of the charge per week, not 6% to 10% per day.

I'll second this, my Model 3 LR uses about 1% each WEEK while in sleep mode for winter storage (Sentry is not active).

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and HMHM
Congrats. Just took delivery of mine today after 7 months of having a Model 3.

Lots of debate on this. In my opinion there are two schools of thought, one super in-the-weeds, the other not so much:

1. Figure out a charge limit that allows the car to sit as close to 50% as possible for as long as possible (in theory this is best for the battery long term). For instance, I set my charge limit to exactly 57% and I schedule charging using the off-peak hours to end right when I leave for work. I drive to work and end up there at about 54%, the car sits at that SOC while I'm at work, then I depart and arrive home right at 50% give or take where it sits until the whole thing repeats. On the weekend I usually set it to 55%. I'm weird so I actually enjoy this sort of granular charging habit and wish I had more control over it in the app.

2. Set the charge limit to 80 or 90 and don't worry about any of that above.

I'd go with whichever method sounds the best for you. If you never want to worry about it, set it to 90 percent and never think about it again (or 80% doesn't really matter, might be slightly better for the battery long term). If you like the sort of thing described in #1 then go for that.

Edit to add that setting it to a lower SOC will mess with the car's ability to estimate the range (though not its actual range), which is why Tesla recommends 90%. Lots of threads on this if you do a search, especially in the Model 3 forums.
Is yours LFR? How often do you charge to 100% SOC ?

Tesla doesn't have a set recommendation for battery charging. The daily is anywhere in between 50% - 90% set it for what you need. Common knowledge is set it as low as you can and still get through your normal daily driving needs. I have a short commute and set my daily limit to the minimum 5Do your cars have sjsj
Tesla doesn't have a set recommendation for battery charging. The daily is anywhere in between 50% - 90% set it for what you need. Common knowledge is set it as low as you can and still get through your normal daily driving needs. I have a short commute and set my daily limit to the minimum 50%
Tesla doesn't have a set recommendation for battery charging. The daily is anywhere in between 50% - 90% set it for what you need. Common knowledge is set it as low as you can and still get through your normal daily driving needs. I have a short commute and set my daily limit to the minimum 50%.
Do your cars have LFP ? How often do you charge them to 100% SOC?

You will find (and have found on this thread!) lots of opinions .. but basically whatever you do DONT FRET .. it will ruin your enjoyment of the car. The ONLY thing to avoid Is 100% charging except when preparing for a long trip (and even then it's probably not needed and a waste of time at most superchargers).
Your “only thing to avoid is 100% charging …” might not be true for Teslas with LFP batteries?

Is yours LFR? How often do you charge to 100% SOC ?
LFP? No. I'll charge to 100% just before I depart on a road trip. I use the off peak charging to set the off peak time ending right when I plan on leaving.

Recently I've scaled back a little bit from my obsessive charging regimen. Now I do 50% on weekends and days where I don't need to go in to work. If I think I'll be going somewhere I bump it up to 60 or whatever I think I'll need for the drive, but if I forget, I'll just drive it from 50% and charge it back when I get home. On days where I go to work I'll knock it up to 55% before departing, and if I forget, same as above.

I did notice some weird behavior on my last road trip, maybe related to my charging method and the car's ability to estimate. I drive the same route from Philly to Jacksonville, NC frequently, so I kind of know where I need to stop and how much SOC I need to make it to the next charging stop. At one point it was telling me I was going to be able to make it to a supercharger there was no way I was actually going to make. Like 10-20% underestimation of the energy it was going to take. It believed it at first and chalked it up to the weather, but then I checked in ABRP and realized it was giving me a bad estimate. I wish I had taken a picture of it but the estimated battery consumption graph would have this huge spike in it right after I departed. I also noticed they pushed an update shortly after that trip, and I haven't seen behavior like that since, maybe that's just a coincidence. I'm about to do the trip again so I'll see how it goes this time.

Charging Best Practices!
Maintaining Li-ion Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. These recommendations were revised recently in light of conversations with experts and long-time BEV owners on this forum.

Attachments

• BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    210 KB · Views: 178